PDA

View Full Version : What a Monster !!

Troutman65
06-21-2012, 02:54 PM
http://www.grindtv.com/outdoor/blog/33939/texas+fisherman+prevails+in+epic+battle+with+enorm ous+alligator+gar/

old pudd fisher
06-21-2012, 03:17 PM
Wow! Good thing he had his dog with him, he might have been towed underwater.

qaze0
06-21-2012, 03:19 PM
Nice 30 years to grow and seconds to die ...interesting.

reservoir dog
06-21-2012, 04:12 PM
Yup saw the picture and read the article. Personally I think he should of released it. :My Two Cents:

carpanglerdude
06-21-2012, 04:20 PM
A massive, impressive fish that is no more.

DarkShadow
06-21-2012, 04:52 PM
Personally I think he should of released it. :My Two Cents:

I'm not a fish trauma surgeon, but I think it's hard to release something that's been shot with an arrow.

Besides, you know how many gar tacos that thing could provide?!

DockRat
06-21-2012, 06:39 PM
Huge Beast.

reservoir dog
06-21-2012, 11:01 PM
I'm not a fish trauma surgeon, but I think it's hard to release something that's been shot with an arrow.

Besides, you know how many gar tacos that thing could provide?!

That's true, I forgot that it was caught by bow fishing. If it were hooked then definitely let that sucker live.

smokehound
06-22-2012, 05:17 PM
Meh. Not impressed.

Would rather see one caught the legit way and respectfully released..

My penis is of adequate size so I don't need to kill a beast to prove my manhood
:lol:

Skyler
06-25-2012, 10:55 AM
Meh. Not impressed.

Would rather see one caught the legit way and respectfully released..

My penis is of adequate size so I don't need to kill a beast to prove my manhood
:lol:

Define "legit." He still had to locate the fish, wait for it to surface, make a clean shot, then fight it in. And I don't know if you've ever foul hooked a fish, but they fight way harder when you don't have head control. and there's no drag on a bowfishing setup. It is man vs. beast. You have to fight 'em by hand. IMO, it would have been easier to do it "legit." How hard is it to throw out a chunk of cutbait on a float, set your rod down, and sit on the shore drinking beer? I think actively hunting the fish is a bit harder. And this is coming from someone who fishes both ways.

As for penis size relating to killing things, I assume you're a vegetarian? If not then you are also a killer, the only difference is you subcontract your killing out to make yourself feel better. That gar was taken legally, and the meat will not go to waste. I fail to see the problem.

DarkShadow
06-26-2012, 04:32 PM
How hard is it to throw out a chunk of cutbait on a float, set your rod down, and sit on the shore drinking beer?

Hey, when you've had 3 bottles of Stone Old Guardian Barley Wine, you can barely stand up. Imagine having to listen for the bell on the tip of your rod, fight and land a fish?

That takes talent and skill.

Skills that the members of the Bucket Brigade are known for.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BUCKET BRIGADE REPRESENT!!!

http://s13.postimage.org/h741ezw3n/BUCKET.png

www.bucketbrigadeer.com (http://www.bucketbrigadeer.com/)
Chasing stocking trux and bustin capz. That's how we roll!

LuckyCraft420
06-26-2012, 04:40 PM
Define "legit." He still had to locate the fish, wait for it to surface, make a clean shot, then fight it in. And I don't know if you've ever foul hooked a fish, but they fight way harder when you don't have head control. and there's no drag on a bowfishing setup. It is man vs. beast. You have to fight 'em by hand. IMO, it would have been easier to do it "legit." How hard is it to throw out a chunk of cutbait on a float, set your rod down, and sit on the shore drinking beer? I think actively hunting the fish is a bit harder. And this is coming from someone who fishes both ways.

As for penis size relating to killing things, I assume you're a vegetarian? If not then you are also a killer, the only difference is you subcontract your killing out to make yourself feel better. That gar was taken legally, and the meat will not go to waste. I fail to see the problem.

I 100% agree.

Skyler
06-26-2012, 05:18 PM
Hey, when you've had 3 bottles of Stone Old Guardian Barley Wine, you can barely stand up. Imagine having to listen for the bell on the tip of your rod, fight and land a fish?

That takes talent and skill.

Skills that the members of the Bucket Brigade are known for.

That stuff is too expensive for me. I'll drink a 6 pack of Four Locos instead. Then every time I hook up, I get to catch two fish!

BTW, I'm officially promoting you to the Brigade's Sgt. at arms. Who knows, if you slip me a couple of those Old Guardians, I may make you treasurer too...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Capt. Skyler "Five Rods" McConahy
Brigadier General,
Bucket Brigade Crew

http://s13.postimage.org/h741ezw3n/BUCKET.png

www.bucketbrigadier.com

smokehound
06-27-2012, 08:16 AM

As for penis size relating to killing things, I assume you're a vegetarian? If not then you are also a killer, the only difference is you subcontract your killing out to make yourself feel better. That gar was taken legally, and the meat will not go to waste. I fail to see the problem.Uh, no. They didn't eat that thing. They stuffed it. lol

Lol when you say actively hunting the fish, it's not really any different. You make it sound like they hacked through an impenetrable fortress of cholla cacti and vindictive elephants with machetes to shoot a gar. lol

In reality they did pretty much the same thing a bait n waiter would have done-- drink beer and wait. :LOL: Now I'm picturing a bunch of drunk people with crossbows.. hahahaha

Skyler
06-27-2012, 01:54 PM
The article clearly states that he filleted the fish. As for drinking beer and waiting, that right there shows that you have never bowfished. I cover miles of shoreline every time I go out, stalking through knee deep water tangled with cattails. If you wear bright colors, make noise, or move too quickly, the fish will spook before you ever see them. Not to mention the refraction index of the water, which varies based on your shooting angle, and the fact that you actually have to be able to accurately shoot a bow (not a crossbow like you said). Trust me, I fish both ways. Bowfishing takes a bit more skill than soaking bait.

DarkShadow
06-27-2012, 02:46 PM
Bowfishing takes a bit more skill than soaking bait.

Sure is. I still have the formula you sent me on how to properly get a shot off, and I'm still trying to decipher it.

http://www.hyper-ad.com/tutoring/math/calculus/images/prop_deriv604.gif

Maybe after a few Special Brews it'll all make sense.

Dark "Keep Everything I Catch" Shadow
Brigadier Sergeant at Arms

Skyler
06-27-2012, 03:05 PM
That formula doesn't even take wind and current into account, lol.

Seriously though, there is a formula to dope the refraction. Aim 8" low for every ten feet away the fish is, assuming it is 12" deep. Double that for every additional foot of depth. This applies to an average sized make standing. If you are wading or sitting in a boat, you need to add a couple inches per foot. For close downward shots near the surface, aim for the belly and you'll hit their back. For shots over 20 feet, aim another 4" low, due to the shallow entry angle, which can cause a skipping or planing effect....or you can just soak some bait.

DarkShadow
06-27-2012, 03:11 PM
....or you can just soak some bait.

Do you have a formula on how many bells to add to the tip of my rod to detect a strike?

I've tried one or two before in the past, but after a few six packs, it seems I slip into unconsciousness and need a bull horn to alert me that I'm getting bit.

Dark "Keep Everything I Catch" Shadow
Brigadier Sergeant at Arms

Skyler
06-27-2012, 03:24 PM
Just tie your line off to the piercing of your choice. If that doesn't wake you up, it was never meant to be.

And I use a bobber with a hook attached to it hanging on my line. Bells are SOOOO 30 seconds ago.