PDA

View Full Version : What length fly rod for lake?

SlayinRainbows
06-20-2012, 08:18 PM
I wanna get a fly rod but I'll probably be spending some time on lakes. Is a 9' sufficient or do I need longer?

ScottyP
06-20-2012, 08:56 PM
My first fly rod was a 9 foot 5 weight. Caught everything from bluegill to trout to large bass on it.
It should work great for a first rod.

Trout-Tuna-For.Me
06-20-2012, 09:29 PM
Slay
A 9' rod will work fine from a boat or shore, but if you're sitting closer to the water level like in a float tube I'd suggest a heavy action 10' rod.
4 or 5 years back I invested in a 4 pc 10' Sage XP rod and I love it. That extra length and heavy action allows the line to be out of the water more for drying flies and making longer casts, and still have full control of placing the fly where you want it. The rod was over $600, but there are other manufacturers that make that type of rod. Being that it's a 4 pc rod it's nice to be able to pack it anywhere.
Check to see if Okuma, Fenwick, or Fly Logic makes that length of rod but make sure it's a heavy action stiffer rod which makes it cast a lot easier. A 5 or 6 wt should be fine to catch any type of fish. I'd also get a reel with an extra spool so that you can go from floating to sinking line in a heartbeat.
My 2 cents.
TTFM

SlayinRainbows
06-21-2012, 08:23 AM
Yea I'm probably going to be only from boat or shore so it doesn't sound like I'll need the larger pole. Thanks do much guys!

DarkShadow
06-21-2012, 01:40 PM
If you're strictly at lakes and off a boat, a 9 footer will suit you fine.

Once you start heading into skinnier water where there is canopy all around you, then that's when you may consider going with something shorter.