PDA

View Full Version : Short lines but Fishing good at DVL

FrazeIb1
06-20-2012, 05:04 PM
Went fishing again this AM at DVL. I Left the house at 6:04AM. Got to the lake at 0612. (Yes, I do live really close to the lake :LOL:) I couldn't believe no one was in line and there was only a handful of cars parked in the parking lot :EyePop:. I was on the water by 0620 and there was alot of fog this morning :Razz:. The water temp was 74 degrees. I fished top water for the first 2 & 1/2 hours. I caught several 2-3 lb LMB's using cranks and top water lures. I hooked into something really nice that straightened out the back trebel and bent the front hook on my lure and it took a lot of drag. It felt like a really good one. Unfortunately I didn't get to see the fish because it went under the boat and then pulled off before I got the chance to see it :Evil:. There is a pretty good top water bite early to mid morning right now. I think you can throw it all day if you want. I went to Bass Pro Shops a few days ago and treated myself to a new arsenal of cranks and top water baits. One of the baits did not run true so it will be removed and placed in the bass bait do not use box :Sad:. I might try and work on it to get it working correctly later. I tried (4) new baits and (3) of the four produced fish. One lure in particular produced several :Secret:. I have (7) more to try out and would have tried them all if it wasnt for the one lure that got hot and put several fish in the boat.

Well, after several hundred casts with cranks and top water lures, I slowed down a little and threw my other favorite Carolina Rig. Caught a lot of dinks today for some reason. I did catch a few keepers as well up to 3 1/2 to 4 lbs. All in all it was a good day. I have a new bait that the bass seem to like and I have (7) more to try tomorrow. It's going to be hard not to throw my new go to bait but I gotta see if the others are going to produce or will they end up in the do not use box too......The fish are biting, the algae is not a factor so get out there and have some fun.....Until next time......"Tight Lines".....

Perris_holic
06-20-2012, 06:23 PM
Went fishing again this AM at DVL. I Left the house at 6:04AM. Got to the lake at 0612. (Yes, I do live really close to the lake :LOL:) I couldn't believe no one was in line and there was only a handful of cars parked in the parking lot :EyePop:. I was on the water by 0620 and there was alot of fog this morning :Razz:. The water temp was 74 degrees. I fished top water for the first 2 & 1/2 hours. I caught several 2-3 lb LMB's using cranks and top water lures. I hooked into something really nice that straightened out the back trebel and bent the front hook on my lure and it took a lot of drag. It felt like a really good one. Unfortunately I didn't get to see the fish because it went under the boat and then pulled off before I got the chance to see it :Evil:. There is a pretty good top water bite early to mid morning right now. I think you can throw it all day if you want. I went to Bass Pro Shops a few days ago and treated myself to a new arsenal of cranks and top water baits. One of the baits did not run true so it will be removed and placed in the bass bait do not use box :Sad:. I might try and work on it to get it working correctly later. I tried (4) new baits and (3) of the four produced fish. One lure in particular produced several :Secret:. I have (7) more to try out and would have tried them all if it wasnt for the one lure that got hot and put several fish in the boat.

Well, after several hundred casts with cranks and top water lures, I slowed down a little and threw my other favorite Carolina Rig. Caught a lot of dinks today for some reason. I did catch a few keepers as well up to 3 1/2 to 4 lbs. All in all it was a good day. I have a new bait that the bass seem to like and I have (7) more to try tomorrow. It's going to be hard not to throw my new go to bait but I gotta see if the others are going to produce or will they end up in the do not use box too......The fish are biting, the algae is not a factor so get out there and have some fun.....Until next time......"Tight Lines".....

What color was your new hot bait if you dont mind me asking?

JV
06-20-2012, 06:51 PM
You live in the Hemet area & go to Bass Pro? Last Chance is a lot closer, great selection, reasonable prices & invaluable advice.

FrazeIb1
06-20-2012, 08:34 PM
Well, lets say its multi-colored......but seriously it's green and yellow.......

FrazeIb1
06-20-2012, 08:38 PM
You live in the Hemet area & go to Bass Pro? Last Chance is a lot closer, great selection, reasonable prices & invaluable advice.

Yes, I shop at Last Chance too (Last Chance is about 2 1/2 miles from my house). I'm in Last Chance once a week sometimes twice......I go to Bass Pro to see all the latest and greatest of everything......Gotta love Bass Pro Shops.....

Matt_Magnone
06-20-2012, 10:14 PM
One of the baits did not run true so it will be removed and placed in the bass bait do not use box :Sad:

no matter what i will always tune baits out of the package. in my experience very few baits will run true out of the box. at certain speeds most unmodified baits will flounder. think about the amount of stretch you have in the line you're fishing and how it affects the action at the end of a cast vs. short line. so many factors such as weight in stock split rings, hooks, seam of the bait being off, hook hangers being offset etc...

chuck the bait out and swim it back to the boat taking note which side the bait is veering off to. look dead on down the bait, from the bill. observe every detail about the bait. first look at the seam. make sure the seam is straight. if its off one side or the other that can be a possible reason for the crappy swim. if not the seam check the hook hangers. sometimes off centered hook hangers can be the issue. offset hook hangers means weight to one side or the other or basically an uneven weight distribution. if its the hook hangers adjust if possible. if not the hook hangers look at the line tie. if all the other base factors look fine odds are that its in the line tie and 90% of the time it is. check it and if this is the case, take a pair of pliers and grab the line tie (not the split ring) and bend it opposite the direction it was at or rather towards the direction you want the bait to swim. if its veering left; twist it right. if its veering right; twist it left. find the correct angle and you're good to go. only takes a few seconds. if the bait is still at a loss adjust hardware on the bait. split rings and play around with hook size. all of this can be done really fast without even having to cut the bait off in a wide open bite. couple seconds.

1 or two out of 5 baits usually swim true to me. even high end baits sometimes suck out of the box.

hope this helps.

bassmeister
06-20-2012, 10:27 PM
no matter what i will always tune baits out of the package. in my experience very few baits will run true out of the box. at certain speeds most unmodified baits will flounder. think about the amount of stretch you have in the line you're fishing and how it affects the action at the end of a cast vs. short line. so many factors such as weight in stock split rings, hooks, seam of the bait being off, hook hangers being offset etc...

chuck the bait out and swim it back to the boat taking note which side the bait is veering off to. look dead on down the bait, from the bill. observe every detail about the bait. first look at the seam. make sure the seam is straight. if its off one side or the other that can be a possible reason for the crappy swim. if not the seam check the hook hangers. sometimes off centered hook hangers can be the issue. offset hook hangers means weight to one side or the other or basically an uneven weight distribution. if its the hook hangers adjust if possible. if not the hook hangers look at the line tie. if all the other base factors look fine odds are that its in the line tie and 90% of the time it is. check it and if this is the case, take a pair of pliers and grab the line tie (not the split ring) and bend it opposite the direction it was at or rather towards the direction you want the bait to swim. if its veering left; twist it right. if its veering right; twist it left. find the correct angle and you're good to go. only takes a few seconds. if the bait is still at a loss adjust hardware on the bait. split rings and play around with hook size. all of this can be done really fast without even having to cut the bait off in a wide open bite. couple seconds.

1 or two out of 5 baits usually swim true to me. even high end baits sometimes suck out of the box.

hope this helps.

Great intell.

FrazeIb1
06-21-2012, 10:32 AM

hope this helps.

Yeah Matt I agree, I have been tweaking my baits for years. The only thing is, this bait is supposed to dive 3-6 feet and it just stays on the surface and twirl around. It has to be a manufactures defect. It looks really good but something is definately wrong with it. I got it to stop twirling but it wont dive down. Oh well, it was less than 10.00 if I remember correctly. I can always use it as a top water wake bait......

Matt_Magnone
06-21-2012, 09:13 PM
Yeah Matt I agree, I have been tweaking my baits for years. The only thing is, this bait is supposed to dive 3-6 feet and it just stays on the surface and twirl around. It has to be a manufactures defect. It looks really good but something is definately wrong with it. I got it to stop twirling but it wont dive down. Oh well, it was less than 10.00 if I remember correctly. I can always use it as a top water wake bait......

hell yeah man good call. bust that bill off and turn it into a "V" wake bait! oops,:EyePop: i spilled the beans and all the tournament guys are gonna scalp me now! too bad i shave my head! haha :LOL:

great job out there by the way. you're definitely getting after it!

FrazeIb1
06-22-2012, 01:48 PM
hell yeah man good call. bust that bill off and turn it into a "V" wake bait! oops,:EyePop: i spilled the beans and all the tournament guys are gonna scalp me now! too bad i shave my head! haha :LOL:

great job out there by the way. you're definitely getting after it!

There aren't many secrets out there anymore Matt......Most people tweak their lures some on purpose and some by mistake.