PDA

View Full Version : Yak or Tube?

CoffeaRobusta
08-22-2007, 07:35 PM
Just wondering what I should save my hard earned dubloons for. Yak or tube? pros? Cons? Maybe I shouold go straight to one of these:

http://www.greenpeace.org/raw/image_full/international/photosvideos/photos/the-fishing-boat-santa-cristin

IslandBoi
08-22-2007, 11:02 PM
it pretty much boils down to this

do you want your legs dangling in water or not

yaks and tubes can be outfitted with pretty much the same thing, less a trolling motor on a tube, but I'm sure it's possible.

So ask urself,

dangle or no dangle?

oh and do I want to use my legs or arms for movement (unless u get a trolling motor on your yak, or somehome rig something up for your tube)

Coach D'
08-23-2007, 03:46 AM
Stay dry (or get some fins and kick) while getting into and out of the shallowest of waters, stand up and take a stretch (or fish if you have descent balance), get a tolling motor to save your energy for fishin', the ultimate in mobility for getting into those "honey holes"...Get a PONTOON!

Ronira
08-23-2007, 05:27 AM
I'm with Coach D', a pontoon gives you the best of both worlds. You can configure it as a kickboat or put a platform on it and stand up and fish while you tool around with a trolling motor. Plus you can carry a ton of tackle and adult beverages. Pontoons rock!

fishinmagician
08-23-2007, 07:46 PM
If you are willing to spend the money, I say go with the yak. You can load more gear on a yak and keep in mind the glide ratio is much better so you are going to be able to cover more fishing ground and more quickly in a yak.

Try going down to Sunset or Newport Beach and renting a yak for a few hours. Once you are done with the yak trip, try and think about covering all that water by kicking with your legs and fighting the current in a watercraft that is more suseptable to current.

JMO

jbacsaf
08-23-2007, 08:02 PM
fishinmagician hit it on the head. I'm a float tuber, but I am saving up to buy a kayak. You can definitely cover a lot more water on a tube. You don't have to work as hard to fight the current also. Basically in a tube, you are at the mercy of the currents. The current is not a big concern with kayak, relatively speaking. Plus you have more room to bring more gear. Just my thoughts...