06-20-2012, 08:53 AM
awesome fish man!!

luis montes
06-20-2012, 10:05 AM
Thanks bro!!!!

wrestlefish
06-20-2012, 12:51 PM
Thanks bro!!!!

lets go man and hook up those big boys. Ill bring the beer :)

DarkShadow
06-20-2012, 01:43 PM
Excellent catch! I bet that fish made some drag smoking runs.

no weight on this guy, i didnt bring a scale this time

Wow, if more people here took that path, there wouldn't be discussions on whether something is a 'ten' or not. Kudos for that. Don't see that here often.

TUNAVIC
06-20-2012, 01:56 PM
Thats a pig,scale or not!Congrats.
Cya Tuna Vic

angelsfan951
06-20-2012, 02:49 PM
congrats u really have ur carp fishing dialed in.. those hemp seed boilies are really killing it at the lakes. u wanna sale me some since u must make them often and i have no clue how to make them

luis montes
06-20-2012, 03:33 PM
Thanks Darkshadow, I apreciated man, and yeah reels smoking non stop with this carps

luis montes
06-20-2012, 03:34 PM
Thanks TUNAVIC, means alot

luis montes
06-20-2012, 03:38 PM
Thanks angelsfan951, I make a lot of different flavors, bit hemp seed and bloodworm boilies are my favorite, also green lip mussle works good

Skyler
06-20-2012, 04:19 PM
That fish would look great with an arrow sticking out of its head...

wrestlefish
06-20-2012, 04:30 PM

what if someone did that to a bass? would you stick by that statement? I feel all fish have a place in the food chain. They are gods creatures and eat the same exact things bluegills, catfish and other species do as well. I think if it becomes a population issue maybe but not "just cause"

luis montes
06-20-2012, 04:41 PM
Yeah wrestlefish, don't mind that kind of people bro, since I been carp fishing I have encounter a lot of people that don't like carp, but I just do my thing and don't pay much attention, thanks wrestlefish

wrestlefish
06-20-2012, 05:12 PM
Yeah wrestlefish, don't mind that kind of people bro, since I been carp fishing I have encounter a lot of people that don't like carp, but I just do my thing and don't pay much attention, thanks wrestlefish

answer your PM's bro :)

DockRat
06-21-2012, 05:21 AM
Looks like the ones in the Imperial Valley canals.

Lol, Skyler

what if someone did that to a bass? would you stick by that statement? I feel all fish have a place in the food chain. They are gods creatures and eat the same exact things bluegills, catfish and other species do as well. I think if it becomes a population issue maybe but not "just cause"

LOL
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v298/miyochan/GIFS/34djzupjpg.gif

Skyler
06-21-2012, 08:35 AM

Carp do have a place in the food chain...in ASIA. They are an invasive species here, and cause massive algae blooms, high turbidity/low visibility (which negatively affects sight predators), not to mention the millions of natyive fish eggs they consume. Add that with the fact that they lay over two million eggs per spawn, and spawn up to three times a year, and yeah, I think that arrow sounds pretty good...

http://s10.postimage.org/78850pu89/IMG500.jpg

You can hug 'em if you want, I'll keep murdering the bastards.

shinbob
06-21-2012, 09:13 AM
Grass carp are the good ones. They're herbivores, and don't muddy the water. In fact, murder a grass carp in most of CA and it's a violation.

5.37. GRASS CARP.
(a) No grass carp may be taken or possessed at any time, except that any grass carp inadvertently taken must be immediately returned unharmed to the water.
(b) Exception for Siskiyou and Shasta Counties for any waters, within the Sacramento River drainage above and including Lake Shasta: All grass carp taken shall be killed immediately by removing the head and shall be retained by the angler. The angler shall notify DFG that he/she has taken and possesses a grass carp by calling DFG’s telephone number (1-530-225-2278) as soon as possible, but not more than 24 hours after taking the grass carp.

Skyler
06-21-2012, 09:27 AM
Grass carp are the good ones. They're herbivores, and don't muddy the water. In fact, murder a grass carp in most of CA and it's a violation.

They are still an introduced species, and they will consume fish eggs if given the opportunity. That is why they want them out of the Sac river system. Most other states want you kill them as well, except for some private ponds, where they are sometimes stocked for weed control. Saying they are "good" is like saying that feral pigs are good because they till the soil. But of course we all know California is the least educated state when it comes to wildlife management. They have proven that many times.

shinbob
06-21-2012, 09:47 AM
They are still an introduced species, and they will consume fish eggs if given the opportunity. That is why they want them out of the Sac river system. Most other states want you kill them as well, except for some private ponds, where they are sometimes stocked for weed control. Saying they are "good" is like saying that feral pigs are good because they till the soil. But of course we all know California is the least educated state when it comes to wildlife management. They have proven that many times.

Grass carp, at least the adult ones, do not eat fish eggs. Babies might, but the grass carp that are introduced into ponds and irrigation canals are triploid (sterile). That's why the are illegal to take in most of CA. I'm guessing there's a breeding population in the Sac river drainage, which is why they're the exception.

shinbob
06-21-2012, 09:53 AM

I'm with you on common carp, though. They're an invasive species that harm fisheries and needs to be thinned out drastically.

Skyler
06-21-2012, 10:11 AM
I have no problem with the triploids stocked for weed control. But in the majority of the US, especially the midwest, the grass carp spawn, and in large numbers. As for the commons, I think everybody is on the same page. I know some strict c&r guys who will kill a carp if given the chance.

DarkShadow
06-21-2012, 01:45 PM

We all know you shoot and release, Skyler.

Skyler
06-21-2012, 03:21 PM
Indeed. Their souls are thoroughly released.

Dr. MindBendo
06-21-2012, 03:21 PM
Carp do have a place in the food chain...in ASIA. They are an invasive species here, and cause massive algae blooms, high turbidity/low visibility (which negatively affects sight predators), not to mention the millions of natyive fish eggs they consume. Add that with the fact that they lay over two million eggs per spawn, and spawn up to three times a year, and yeah, I think that arrow sounds pretty good...

You just inspired me Skyler. I'll hit up Elsinore this weekend and kill like 20 of them in 1 hour. lol

Skyler
06-21-2012, 03:23 PM
You just inspired me Skyler. I'll hit up Elsinore this weekend and kill like 20 of them in 1 hour. lol

Sweet. Don't forget to post pics of the massacre.

DockRat
06-21-2012, 07:33 PM
I'd like to catch a Mirror Carp.

Sweet. Don't forget to post pics of the massacre.

http://i479.photobucket.com/albums/rr156/thecritter1/005.jpg
http://i716.photobucket.com/albums/ww163/carpn/4grasscarp.jpg

Skyler
06-21-2012, 08:44 PM
Yeah, those mirror carp/amur are cool looking fish.

luis montes
06-21-2012, 09:18 PM
LOL!! That doesn't put a dent on their population, that's like killing 1 ant in the Amazons!! Hahahahaha, keep bowing until your ARM falls off

wrestlefish
06-22-2012, 07:29 AM
LOL!! That doesn't put a dent on their population, that's like killing 1 ant in the Amazons!! Hahahahaha, keep bowing until your ARM falls off

VERY well said!!!

:LOL:

DarkShadow
06-22-2012, 09:08 AM
... I think if it becomes a population issue maybe but not "just cause"

VERY well said!!!

:LOL:

I'm kinda confused.

First, wrestlefish alludes to the fact that people shouldn't be killing carp unless there's a population problem. Since both posters obviously release them, there seems to be a consensus between the both of them that there isn't a population problem.

Then after the picture DR posted, luis montes lets us know that killing 50 of them "doesn't put a dent in their population" and that it's equivalent to killing one ant in the Amazon.

So, if killing hundreds of them doesn't put a dent in their population, doesn't that mean that there is, in fact, a population problem that you just pretty much admitted to, thus you releasing them is contributing to the population problem?

Skyler
06-22-2012, 10:32 AM
We know we can't kill em all, but it's fun trying, lol. Besides considering one carp can decimate hundreds of bass beds over it's lifespan, and spawn millions of others, killing one carp actually does have a positive effect. By your logic getting one gang banger off the street is a waste of time, because you didn't bring down the whole crew.

wrestlefish
06-22-2012, 11:36 AM
You obviously were missing the point. YES i did say if there was a population problem maybe thinning them out wouldn't be so bad, however the places i fish there isnt that much of a issue. This is the Case for ANY fish. I catch and release everything i catch for the same reason why everyone else does and that's for the future fisherman/fisherladies are able to catch giants.

Luis was also correct that if you kill a few of them in SOME areas it wouldn't put a dent in there population so in some areas i can maybe understand but not EVERY area.

I'm kinda confused.

First, wrestlefish alludes to the fact that people shouldn't be killing carp unless there's a population problem. Since both posters obviously release them, there seems to be a consensus between the both of them that there isn't a population problem.

Then after the picture DR posted, luis montes lets us know that killing 50 of them "doesn't put a dent in their population" and that it's equivalent to killing one ant in the Amazon.

So, if killing hundreds of them doesn't put a dent in their population, doesn't that mean that there is, in fact, a population problem that you just pretty much admitted to, thus you releasing them is contributing to the population problem?

luis montes
06-22-2012, 12:09 PM
Wrestlefish I agree 100%, the bass are predators you don't think they eat baby carp, their own and other species that don't have a chance to grow, carp might eat a few eggs, but you carp haters have no clue what's their true diet!!! Hahahahaha, anyone can catch a bass, just drop a freaking wacky worm, try catching a carp the size of the ones I catch and let me know, carp angling puts your fishing skills to the test, I've caught plenty of bass, the smallest carp I've ever caught put up a better fight then the biggest bass I ever caught, period, but until you guys feelthe fight of a monster carp you'll understand what I'm talkin about, till then go catch some lmb Hahahahaha

wrestlefish
06-22-2012, 01:30 PM
Pound for pound they are top 3 as far as fighting. Id put them up with Giant cats and sturgeon. Bass wouldn't be in the top 5 in my opinion.

Wrestlefish I agree 100%, the bass are predators you don't think they eat baby carp, their own and other species that don't have a chance to grow, carp might eat a few eggs, but you carp haters have no clue what's their true diet!!! Hahahahaha, anyone can catch a bass, just drop a freaking wacky worm, try catching a carp the size of the ones I catch and let me know, carp angling puts your fishing skills to the test, I've caught plenty of bass, the smallest carp I've ever caught put up a better fight then the biggest bass I ever caught, period, but until you guys fill the fight of a monster carp you'll understand what I'm talkin about, till then go catch some lmb Hahahahaha

DarkShadow
06-22-2012, 01:31 PM
Wrestlefish I agree 100%, the bass are predators you don't think they eat baby carp, their own and other species that don't have a chance to grow, carp might eat a few eggs, but you carp haters have no clue what's their true diet!!! Hahahahaha, anyone can catch a bass, just drop a freaking wacky worm, try catching a carp the size of the ones I catch and let me know, carp angling puts your fishing skills to the test, I've caught plenty of bass, the smallest carp I've ever caught put up a better fight then the biggest bass I ever caught, period, but until you guys fill the fight of a monster carp you'll understand what I'm talkin about, till then go catch some lmb Hahahahaha

luis montes,

don't think anybody is debating whether carp fight harder than bass. they are a great species to tangle with, and I did so when I was a kid, stealing tortillas, masa, and cans of corns from my parent's fridge to catch 'em in our local lakes, so the assumption that not many people have tangled with 'monster carp' that you have is far fetched. the gf and i do that even today. there's a nice one cruising around Balboa lake with 100 yards of 4# test dragging behind him after I got spooled on ultra light gear.

i think the debate is whether or not they are invasive, and whether their reproductive tendencies hurt fisheries in its entirety. the simple fact that DFG is allowing bow fishing for them in certain lakes can pretty much let you know their official stance on the species.

perhaps if carp could smash a topwater bait, or engulf a big swimbait, then maybe people would be offering $500,000 in prize money to catch them here in the states, and they wouldn't be continued to be looked upon as an invasive species.

and biology has proven that carp can reproduce in a faster manner than many freshwater species, which is perhaps why they have been deemed 'invasive' and DFG has no problem with Skyler (and others) putting an arrow through them.

i can't count many fisheries in california where the bass are out of hand. but, on the contrary, there are various bodies of water where the carp population needs to be thinned.

i've felt the fight of monster carp, and i'm sure many others have as well. but i prefer to target other species, many of which suffer because of the population of carp we have in our waters.

if i wanted to fish solely for experiencing a tough fight, i'd sell all of my bass gear and fly gear, and toss out chunks of mackerel in Newport Bay and get hauled around by bat rays all day.

fishing is more about 'the fight' of the fish, personally. and a fish's fight shouldn't be the only determinating factor on whether the population deserves to invade a body of water.

wrestlefish
06-22-2012, 01:41 PM
Looks like event the founder of BASS carp fishes also :)

http://www.carptournamentseries.com/site/tournaments/2011-carp-angling-world-championship/

another great read :)

http://www.goupstate.com/article/20120621/ARTICLES/206211013

luis montes
06-22-2012, 02:16 PM
Great video bro!!! That's to show all the carp haters what time it is!!

luis montes
06-22-2012, 02:21 PM
I look at it like this, why waist my time targeting 5 10 pound guppys when the biggest fish that are in the lake are just laughing at all those rapalas and roboworms hit the water, like I said if people like to target small fish that's their choice not mine lol, I target the big boys

DarkShadow
06-22-2012, 02:30 PM
....like I said if people like to target small fish that's their choice not mine lol, I target the big boys

In that case, why aren't you targeting the 50 pound bat rays that live in our bays, if all you're after is the 'big boys.'

http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/6040/fish4174.jpg

Those things are bigger than carp and fight a lot harder too.

wrestlefish
06-22-2012, 02:53 PM
I look at it like this, why waist my time targeting 5 10 pound guppys when the biggest fish that are in the lake are just laughing at all those rapalas and roboworms hit the water, like I said if people like to target small fish that's their choice not mine lol, I target the big boys

:Beer Toast:

carpanglerdude
06-22-2012, 04:18 PM
All fish are fun to catch. I fish for carp and bass, freshwater, saltwater and so on. All require different techniques; fun to master 'em all.

http://i.imgur.com/djYjr.jpg?1

Luis, I view carp fishing here in the States a lot like soccer/futbal-it's internationally popular but is not incredibly popular throughout the USA yet. However, the popularity of both pursuits are slowly increasing over here. Take, for instance, the large number of articles in popular fishing magazines on carp angling, especially in Field and Stream. I didn't see these article very frequently, if at all, 10 years back. That, and the increasing popularity of carp fishing on the fly, has really helped carp fishing improve its image here. Ever read Carp on the Fly? http://carponthefly.blogspot.com/, very inspirational website.

luis montes
06-22-2012, 07:14 PM
Hahahahaha you don't know me!!! I fish everything, I just caught this batray here I Catalina island 2 weeks ago, I live in Costa mesa, 5 minutes from the ocean, and why target small lmb when you can target white sea bass? Same sh*t, we talkin about fresh water here

wrestlefish
06-22-2012, 08:09 PM
Hahahahaha you don't know me!!! I fish everything, I just caught this batray here I Catalina island 2 weeks ago, I live in Costa mesa, 5 minutes from the ocean, and why target small lmb when you can target white sea bass? Same sh*t, we talkin about fresh water here

hahahaha

:Worship:

luis montes
06-22-2012, 09:30 PM
You are 100% right carpanglerdude!! You k.ow what's up, and wrestlefish, I like your last post !!! Hahahahaha

DockRat
06-23-2012, 05:29 AM
Carp do have a place in the food chain... Add that with the fact that they lay over two million eggs per spawn, and spawn up to three times a year ...

On the flip side those Carp Fry proved food and nourishment for a Bass that is down on his luck and in need of a meal. Homeless Bass got to eat too.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y117/blackcloud9/Fishing/LakeJenningsTrout1121104.jpg

luis montes
06-23-2012, 07:18 AM
Nice post dockrat, that's to show all this ignorant people that they still have a lot to learn, carp eat bass eggs Hahahahaha cry babys

HawgStalker
06-23-2012, 08:26 AM
Nice post dockrat, that's to show all this ignorant people that they still have a lot to learn, carp eat bass eggs Hahahahaha cry babys

Including their use of the english language......

luis montes
06-23-2012, 08:31 AM
Hawg stalker? Or guppys stalker?? Hahaha

Skyler
06-25-2012, 10:00 AM

Ignorant? I don't believe any of us insulted you. We simply stated some known facts regarding an introduced species. And I'm not even going to point out the irony of calling someone ignorant with that grammatical train wreck. Despite the bass eating the carp, they are still at a disadvantage. For one, numbers. Carp lay WAY more eggs, and spawn several times a year. For two, growth rate. Those carp weigh up to 3 pounds in the first year. The stage when they are actually a prey item is very short. Not to mention the fact that the more carp spawn, the less bass there are to eat them anyway. Then there's the impact on water quality, which also affects spawning beds. This is all scientifically proven, and there have been many studies done with data to support this. But I digress.

Fish for carp all you want. Nobody is telling you that you can't. I enjoy fishing for them myself, albeit in a different manner. You turn them loose, that is your decision. I kill them and eat them, that is mine. Neither of us is right or wrong. It's all just fishing. The important part is to have fun.

luis montes
06-25-2012, 02:32 PM
Very well said, I get your point:Cool:

Carptain_Bao
08-23-2012, 11:46 PM
I believe one day carp will be become one of the popular gamefish in the US just like bass here and carp in the UK, I'm just one of those carp angler who is trying to make that heppen.