PDA

View Full Version : Would a 15LB dumbell serve as a good anchor?

larry626
06-19-2012, 02:32 PM
I have an extra dumbell lying around and was thinking of using it as an anchor. Would this work? It's coated so it's not rusty and will not contaminate the water.

qaze0
06-19-2012, 03:12 PM
It should work it's probably cast iron ? if not use a fishing buddy that talks to much....

tracker16
06-19-2012, 07:58 PM
Bolt some chain to 1/4" it will help keep you stuck to the bottom.

FarmerJohn
06-19-2012, 08:42 PM
No it won't work very well at all. I use a old rotor off my Dodge 1500 as a second anchor for the back of the boat ands it just drags it all over. Walmart sells a anchor for just over $20.00 and it holds my 18ft. Pleasurecraft pretty good. They have 2, both are mushroom shaped but one has 3 pie shaped wedges cut out of the top, that's the one you want. It is made to dig into the soft bottom. But it's very important to have the chain. And there is a formula for the length that the chain should be but I forget it. I know it's at least 3/4's the length of the boat and that's very important for any anchor to work properly. So good luck.
And as my good friend Striper Bill says "Tip Up & Tite Lines To You."
FarmerJohn

larry626
06-19-2012, 11:16 PM
They have the "Danielson Coated River Anchor" a 15# for 27 bucks. Is this the one you're referring to or the 10#?

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=20593920&findingMethod=rr

No it won't work very well at all. I use a old rotor off my Dodge 1500 as a second anchor for the back of the boat ands it just drags it all over. Walmart sells a anchor for just over $20.00 and it holds my 18ft. Pleasurecraft pretty good. They have 2, both are mushroom shaped but one has 3 pie shaped wedges cut out of the top, that's the one you want. It is made to dig into the soft bottom. But it's very important to have the chain. And there is a formula for the length that the chain should be but I forget it. I know it's at least 3/4's the length of the boat and that's very important for any anchor to work properly. So good luck.
And as my good friend Striper Bill says "Tip Up & Tite Lines To You."
FarmerJohn

FarmerJohn
06-20-2012, 05:16 AM
They have the "Danielson Coated River Anchor" a 15# for 27 bucks. Is this the one you're referring to or the 10#?

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=20593920&findingMethod=rr

That's the shape but the one I have is silver painted cast iron. And it'sless money. It's not in the water long enough to contaminate it.

FarmerJohn
06-20-2012, 05:29 AM
That's the shape but the one I have is silver painted cast iron. And it'sless money. It's not in the water long enough to contaminate it.

I got my from a Walmart store near me. And I just went to their online site and could not find the one I have on there.

Skyler
06-20-2012, 11:11 AM
Depends on the boat, the bottom, and the wind/current. I use a ten pound round free weight to anchor my kayak. Works fine for the application. I find that in the rocky areas it hangs up far less than an actual anchor.

tracker16
06-20-2012, 12:02 PM
The one I have is the 15lb i use it at the back of the boat to keep every thing lined up, i put a 5/16 chain on my front anchor it is 10lb so there is 40lb total for the front, this is alot but it will hold in a wind storm on lake Isabella The bad part is my wife wines when I tell her to pull the anchor and she tells me YOU DO IT, YOUR CRAZY.