PDA

View Full Version : 1st Trip to Big Bear Lake on Sunday the 24th-need help.

cambofisher
06-19-2012, 03:53 AM
I'll be heading up to BBL for the first time this coming Sunday the 24th.Any help would be greatly appreciated and thanks in advance.I will primarily be targetting trout and crappie,so any help with areas to fish for the targetted species would be helpful.PM me if you don't want to post on forum.

manuel149
06-19-2012, 08:05 AM
I was there this past Sunday, but I didn't get a bite. I was only there till 1 and I saw the cats were biting.
On my way out I noticed a lot of boats by the dam so I guess that's the spot.

diamondbear
06-19-2012, 11:09 AM
I assume your fishing from shore but a tube or boat would be better . For the trout try fishing the west end and theres crappie in the area also . good luck .

TrouTracker
06-19-2012, 01:46 PM
For a 1st timer to BBL, try to get as much information as you can before you go up. You may even want to get a guide for a few hours. The lake will be challenging for you, so talking/hiring a guide may be worth your time. When you get up to BB, go talk to the boys at the Big Bear Sporting Goods store on the main road. They'll give you the skinny on what's happening if you are fishing from the shore. With the weather warming up, the trout will be on the move to the west side. Get as much 411 as you can! Good luck out there and let us know how you do...
Barry

cambofisher
06-19-2012, 02:53 PM
Thanks for the help guys,greatly appreciated! I'll be on my float tube most likely.Will post when i get back.

SlayinRainbows
06-20-2012, 05:35 PM
909-866-3222
That's the number to Big Bear Sporting Goods. I think the managers name is Steve or Greg or something, sorry I can't remember but he's the one who knows his stuff. Call up there and ask him cause he will tell you how to catch fish in that lake.

etaggart
06-20-2012, 08:40 PM
Hey Cambo,

I've also been hearing of more trout at the west end of the lake. If I get lucky, I'll be out early Saturday and early Sunday, but I'm itchin' for more bass lately. I'll hit-up the Observatory jetty and Windy Point if the winds aren't too bad working plastics. If the winds are up, I think I'll work the west end, or maybe the east side of Boulder Bay (if the wind's blowing hard from the east) for trout.

When I fish the west-end, my favorite launch is to park in the area by the big red house just east of the dam area on the north side. Lots of parking and easy entrance to the water. Working the north all the way east toward the floating bathroom should be productive for trout and the occasional crappie. I like to have two rods going, one under a bobber on the side, and my fly rod working wooly buggers. Try drifting powerbait about 8 to 10 feet down under a bobber on that second rod. BB trout seem mostly to group in that 8-10 foot range in open water (at least that what my finder shows most often).

Also working the deeper area from the red house to the bouy line can be productive if they're deep.

I know others who prefer the south side of the lake between Garstin Island and Papoose Bay. Lots of good action can be found there out by the 5mph marker line. Used to be a swarm of crappie that lived in the rocks around Garstin Island, but I haven't seen them this year or last in the huge numbers as prior years.

Hope this helps. Post-up and include pix under "Other Freshwater Reports".

Eric