PDA

View Full Version : Orvis 5wt 9' fly rod for begginer???

SlayinRainbows
06-18-2012, 05:07 PM
Hi guys,
I decided I want to get into fly fishing. For now I'll probably be fishing Big Bear or Gregory, maybe try to find a stream here or there, I'm a trout kinda guy. I was thinking about purchasing an Orvis clearwater 5 wt 9' rod with all this stuff Rod outfit includes:
·******** Clearwater 905-4 Fly Rod
·******** Clearwater LA II Reel - Black
·******** Clearwater Fly Line weight 5 - Yellow
·******** 125 yards of 20lb Dacron backing
·******** Cordura rod tube

http://www.gladyforkoutfitters-estore.com/servlet/the-80/Orvis-Clearwater-905-dsh-4-Fly/Detail

Lemme know what you guys think.

zenmic
06-18-2012, 10:19 PM
SlayinRainbows, where are you located? I just got this exact same setup from the Orvis of Pasadena right before Father's Day. I too am a beginner. I took their 101 and 201 class and got to try out one of these at the class. They feel really nice. The guys there took care of me and did everything to take care of me. I even got an in-store coupon and they let me use it on the purchase of the rod and reel.

SlayinRainbows
06-19-2012, 06:15 AM
Dude that's funny you mentioned that. Right after I got posted this thread I was on the Orvis website, my wife walked past me, saw the screen and said, "There is one of those stores in Pasadena." I told her she was crazy but she proved me wrong. I live in temple city. I called them up and I'm going in there to check it out later. I'm stoked they have courses. Did they help?

Viejo
06-19-2012, 07:48 AM
Congratulations on being willing to try something new. I think you are on the right track. Fly fishing is kinda like golf...you can spend a lifetime getting really good at the fine details but it really is pretty easy to pick up if you learn the basics. You can also fish 95% of the SOCAL waters with nothing more then a roll cast. I would suggest you go into the Orvis store and sign up for their classes on fly fishing. It will be a good investment and you will save a lot of frustrated hours trying to master the cast. The Long Beach Casting Club has an incredible casting pond and offers an entire series on casting all year long. Some of them free. Look into joining a fly fishing club near you. They provide a network of like minded folks and also offer classes on casting...stream and lake fishing...fly tying and rod building. There are a number of fly fishing websites as well that can give you valuable insight.

The package you mention is a great starting point. Fly fishing is one of most challenging things I have tried ( I didn't get any lessons or help...the learning curve for me was steep) but has provided me with some of the most rewarding hours spent in the back country and on the salt.

zenmic
06-19-2012, 12:05 PM
I did get quite a bit out of the 101 and 201 classes from Orvis. Considering that they are free classes then I really got my money's worth out of them; of course they are going to promote their gear and the store. However, the instructors and folks there did not push their gear constantly. The main instructor's name is David. I went with Orvis because of the good experience. As far as around you, SlayinRainbows, there is the Pasadena Casting Club in our area too. They have a really nice casting pool near the Lower Arroyo Park and they have club members there on Sunday to help folks out.

Hope to see you on the water.

SlayinRainbows
06-20-2012, 10:48 AM
This is really helpful, thanks guys.

DarkShadow
06-21-2012, 01:36 PM
I know I haven't been in the fly fishing game as long as others have, but when I first test drove a 5 weight, I realized it was WAY too heavy for the type of fishing I'd be doing, and ended up going with a 4 weight, 9 foot SAGE rod to begin with.

Now, I can't even imagine heading into our local streams with a 5 weight, and even have gone to 3 weights for most of our local trout fishing, and am inquiring about 2 weight rods as well.

Also, I was steered away from "ready to fish" combos and I'm glad I took that route, and found a rod and reel that I was content with.

But, if you're planning on pursuing other species other than trout, I guess the 5 weight would be a good choice.

City Dad
06-21-2012, 02:39 PM
I think a good all around rod is a 5wt - meaning you can fish it for a lot of different species in a lot of different situations. I've taken my 5 everywhere from smallmouth rivers to crappie ponds to trout creeks to the beach and all places in between and found it serviceable in all areas.

That said, I almost always to with a 2wt for local trout these days and a 6 or 7 wt on the windy beaches. If you aren't quite ready to start a collection of fly rods quite yet, I'd say go for the 5wt with the 4 being my second choice.

Also, one tip for beginners: it is often times easier to cast a rod that is loaded with line one size heavier than the rod is rated - that is to say a 5wt with 6wt line. It makes "loading" - or bending the rod on the back-cast - easier.

larry626
06-21-2012, 04:29 PM
Where did you guys get the coupon for this setup? I'd like to drop by and pick one up also. Thanks! Looking to use it for some Bass and stripers.

zenmic
06-21-2012, 05:08 PM
If you take the Orvis 101 class, they will give you a packet of stuff. In that packet are some swag, and some coupons for the Orvis stores.

Where did you guys get the coupon for this setup? I'd like to drop by and pick one up also. Thanks! Looking to use it for some Bass and stripers.