PDA

View Full Version : Rancho Santa Margarita fishing Derby 16Jun2012

allanon
06-18-2012, 03:41 PM
So decided to take the family to the Rancho Santa Margarita Fishing derby at RSM Lake.

Have never fished the lake before so decided to walk the lake the day before to check it out.
Noticed that there was no structure at all in the lake and some bass fisherman.

Arrived at the lake with my father around 600am. Got setup and put out the catfish rod. (never got a bite on that one all day except for a turtle). Then got out my boy's poles to see if I could locate some bluegill so I would be ready when they showed.
Sure enough, immediately started getting bit on the bluegill. So waited for kids to show so they could enjoy the bluegill bite.
Did also catch a 1 lb bass on the bluegill rod.

My kids, wife and mother show up around 830 or so. Unfortunately, the bluegill bite was just starting to die off as they showed up.
(bummer) They both got to catch at least one, with my youngest catching 3, and my oldest catching 1 tiny spotted bass...
All the fish were tiny, but the kiddies had fun.

Felt bad for my friend thejigger who showed up. They were supposed to stock cats, bluegills, and bass prior to the derby, but based upon the fish I saw caught, I am pretty certain nothing was stocked. Only big fish caught were carp (5 lbs carp won the derby). I didn't see or hear of anyone catching a catfish.

Overall a fun time the kiddies and my parents caught about 12 or so small bluegill and a 1 lb bass along with a tiny spotted bass. Also 1 turtle.
:)

Tight lines everyone!