PDA

View Full Version : Late report - La Mirada Catfishing 13Jun2012

allanon
06-18-2012, 03:12 PM
Got to lake at around 1100am.

Heard it was stocked the previous day in the afternoon.

Got setup in a nice spot, put one bait rod and used etucker's slip bobber setup for the other.

Starting getting a few bites (missed them) right away on the slip bobber rod. After missing about 3 fish, I checked my bobber stop and realized it was slipping far too easily. Thus, when the fish would bite and bobber would normally disappear, it was just sliding up the line and never fully disappearing. (duh) Lesson learned. Changed the bobber stop and voila, landed next bite. Of course, my wife calls just after this, and decides she wants to have a 20 min conversation. (sigh) By the time I was done with that, rebaited and cast, the bite seemed to shut down in that spot.

I did manage to catch a turtle on the bait pole at this spot too. Only picture I managed to get of this trip, but for some reason I can't upload it to this site...

etucker showed up and we fished a little longer before we started moving around.

We ended up catching about 2-3 catfish in each spot we tried, before things shut down.
Two funny stories - so I am rebaiting the slip bobber rod, cast it out and decide to rebait my bait pole too.
So while doing this and checking my bobber periodically, I am thinking as I am futzing with the bait hook, where did my bobber go?
I look around, can't find it where I cast it. Finally it dawns on me - FISH ON STUPID! :) Set the hook, and reeled the cat in.
Bobber fishing is really fun, but you have to pay attention.

Next funny story - so the "bucket" fisherman next to us is getting hit very shallow, and my other friend who showed up just catches one on a m and m setup. So I change my bait pole to M and M. While I am putting the bobber on the line as a strike indicator I can actually feel the bobber being pulled from my hand. I am thinking to myself, why is this moving? I pull on it a bit, and can feel the tug, and realize FISH ON STUPID! :) Egads, I was a bit slow out there for some reason. Set the hook and landed it.

So we kept moving around, getting a few fish in each spot. Had to go home, so ended up leaving around 7pm.

Overall, really fun day. I caught probably 5-7 catfish, 2 green sunfish, and 1 turtle for the day. I say probably because etucker was letting me set the hook and reel in his lines, so I kinda lost count :)

Thanks again to etucker for the advice and good company! Also great to see thejigger out there too!

Tight lines everyone!