PDA

View Full Version : Legg AM quickie today

white belt
06-17-2012, 08:50 PM
Fished legg with my flyrod this morning for 2 hours from 630-830. First hour with an Adams fly, nothing. Switched to a hares ear and hooked 4 but lost 3. Walked all around the second lake and saw about 5 dead kitties.The first two lost were in the same spot, might have been the same fish. I pulled my rod up to set the hook like I read on here but when I gave slack' fishes swam down into the weeds and shook the hook.

Middle lake seemed pretty dead but I noticed alot of action on the top lake. Probably because the sun started shinning a bit more. Had to leave so I started walking the shore and roll casting. Got my first gill doing this. Next one, which was lost, was by the rental boat area. This fish didnt even dive down , just shook the hook. I also saw a 10-12 inch bass charge my fly but didn't take. Left and went to groom some dogs haha good am sesh... wish I could've landed those fish but I did work on my over head casting today with a set amount of line.

Any thoughts on how to get deeper hook sets?

TonyLisa
06-17-2012, 08:59 PM
I think I saw you there on the north lake me and my gf were on the other side of the north lake

Ifishtoolittle
06-17-2012, 09:03 PM
Any thoughts on how to get deeper hook sets?

x2 I gave up on the fly rod after losing about a dozen Gills' on Wednesday last week. Oh, and nice job on the Gills'

white belt
06-17-2012, 11:07 PM
I think I saw you there on the north lake me and my gf were on the other side of the north lake

I think I've seen you guys at sfd as well. Did you have any luck?

white belt
06-17-2012, 11:09 PM
x2 I gave up on the fly rod after losing about a dozen Gills' on Wednesday last week. Oh, and nice job on the Gills'

I'm thinking I should reel in faster when landing a fish. Trial and error I guess haha

zenmic
06-18-2012, 12:20 AM
Nice job White Belt. Are you setting the hook and then using the reel, or trying to set the hook on the reel? I am still learning too, but with little bluegills, I was able to set the hook by using my other hand that was stripping back the line to do a quick and light jerk then hold onto the line with my hands and lift the rod tip. Granted I have not had to deal with anything big or strong, so I have not had to deal with anything on the reel.

I was at Legg Lake on June 16th with the 201 class from Orvis. We got on the water around 8:30. We did the middle lake and started with nymphs for a lot of nothing. I switch to a Parachute Adams and it was pretty amazing. I did notice that there is a lot of timing involved. I can see the bluegills hit the fly then spit it back out.

You saw catfish at Legg? Which pond? I have tried there with some chicken liver on a spinning right with no luck a few weeks ago.

smokinflies
06-18-2012, 04:40 AM
... when I gave slack' fishes swam down into the weeds and shook the hook...

always keep tension on the line.

VIVID_FLY
06-18-2012, 05:41 AM
slow retrieve and tension will help. At the Pudd i would say most of the time you barely feel a bite but watching the line twitch then a slight pull up gets a hook up. (TENKARA FISHING)

white belt
06-18-2012, 08:58 AM
Thanks for the input guys.

Zenmic the kitties just went in this week. DFG finally updated their site too.

TonyLisa
06-18-2012, 09:04 AM
I think I've seen you guys at sfd as well. Did you have any luck?

Yeah we're usually at Sfd , and yeah we did nothing big tho

zenmic
06-18-2012, 11:35 AM
I went to the DFG site and all I see is trout, no catfish. Am I looking in the wrong place?

Thanks for the input guys.

Zenmic the kitties just went in this week. DFG finally updated their site too.

white belt
06-18-2012, 11:55 AM
Yeah we're usually at Sfd , and yeah we did nothing big tho

Oh ok i've seen you guys a couple time then! Next time I'll say hey.

I went to the DFG site and all I see is trout, no catfish. Am I looking in the wrong place?

WTH you're right haha I swear it was just on there. They did peck, sfd, pudd, legg and a couple other LA city parks. It was 17 pages yesterday how weird.

smokehound
06-18-2012, 12:25 PM
For bluegills I generally just keep jigging til they're on the hook then I give the rod tip a little flick. Maybe you're setting the hook too hard?