PDA

View Full Version : Putting it all together

skunked4life
06-17-2012, 08:27 PM
Ok. For the last few weeks, i have been busy with work and studying for the bar exam and only had a little time to devote to fishing.

I spent whatever little time i have had in studying these forums and trying new things. I decided to put my new skills to the test.

Dates: last week through this evening
Gear: daiwa tierra rod and daiwa regal 2000 (not exactly high end but i am waiting to up my skills first) and a daiwa ultra light combo (super ultra light with 4 lb test)

Last week, i fished the harbor for an hour a day for three days. Using berkley watermelon candyseed chigger craws, managed a few hits but no catches. Switched to 3 inch big hammers and still no luck. Switched to perch grubs smothered in mussel juice from the pilings and got a few yfcs.

On the weekend, caught a 13 inch yfc using mussel c rigged and slow retrieved. My buddy caught a 18 inch spottie, fat as hell! He was watching netflix while bait and waiting mussel on a floater...kind of odd.

Last night, hit the surf in balboa. Using gulp camo sandworms, caught about 15 bsp about 10 inches in size each. I carefully used my knowledge from these boards to find "structure" and BAM! Success! My first catch on the surf! Also caught a short hali...i mean short, really short!

Today, used the same set up and caught a pb bsp of 14 inches and about 20 perch of varying types. Then, wait for it, while using the ultra light...because my kid wanted to catch something, a 15 inch yfc on gulp sandworm! What a fight on 4 lb test and 5 feet of rod!

Thanks to all of the informative posts and especially to smokehound for all of the guidance! No pictures because i am still learning how to post on the forums but smokehound has seen the pics since i text him my reports! He will vouch!

Hope to keep the momentum going but i am on limited time... Thanks for reading.

heydaad
06-17-2012, 08:37 PM
Don't over think things too much. That never works ... except in your exams. Fishing is supposed to be fun ... just do it. Go up to the SA River channel and try things there at tide change. Big spotted bass, fun halibut, and once in a while an errant sand bass. Just don't eat anything!

Which Way Out
06-17-2012, 08:40 PM
Buddy you got the fever. Good luck with it.:Wink:

It's like a Tropical Decease, once you get it, it stays in your blood and is pasted on to the little ones. Can't think of anything better.

Thanks for sharing
WWO

bassfishing24/7
06-18-2012, 11:59 PM
Good job out there upping ur skills,I also have Smokehound to thank for leading me to the spotties,for I am too now hooked.my only complaint is the long drive to nph sux!!

bachiboy
06-19-2012, 08:10 AM
Way to go Skunked! That's breaking in the surf gear with style. Sounds like you and your son had some serious fun out there.

Welcome to the addiction! It only gets more intense from here. :LOL:

Don

PS - Good work Smokes on helping newcomers get hooked on the surf! :Wink:

skunked4life
06-19-2012, 10:31 AM
Don't over think things too much. That never works ... except in your exams. Fishing is supposed to be fun ... just do it. Go up to the SA River channel and try things there at tide change. Big spotted bass, fun halibut, and once in a while an errant sand bass. Just don't eat anything!

Thanks for the tips. I got worried for awhile because I wasn't catching anything for about 5 weeks. I will try not to overthink it!

skunked4life
06-19-2012, 10:31 AM
Buddy you got the fever. Good luck with it.:Wink:

It's like a Tropical Decease, once you get it, it stays in your blood and is pasted on to the little ones. Can't think of anything better.

Thanks for sharing
WWO

I know, huh!?! I got the fever!

skunked4life
06-19-2012, 10:32 AM
Good job out there upping ur skills,I also have Smokehound to thank for leading me to the spotties,for I am too now hooked.my only complaint is the long drive to nph sux!!

Thanks! We should get together, you, me and marcus and hit up some spots.

skunked4life
06-19-2012, 10:33 AM
Way to go Skunked! That's breaking in the surf gear with style. Sounds like you and your son had some serious fun out there.

Welcome to the addiction! It only gets more intense from here. :LOL:

Don

PS - Good work Smokes on helping newcomers get hooked on the surf! :Wink:

It was important to me that my kid enjoyed himself. Don't get to spend too much time with him these days and fishing kills 2 fish with one Gulp Camo sandworm...

bassfishing24/7
06-19-2012, 11:41 AM
Thanks! We should get together, you, me and marcus and hit up some spots.

Yeah for sure,we usually try hitting it in the early am so pm me.lmk if that works for u.

smokehound
06-19-2012, 03:19 PM
I just got some 3 inch watermelonseed grubs. I had to boil them.

They are perfect for my attractant. Good grubs too.

Also eradicated that nasty anise scent.. I swear that stuff puts bass off.

murrieta angler
06-21-2012, 07:12 AM
Nice report with plenty of mixed fish.
Can't beat that at all!!
Thanks,
Robert
<><

SP Dan
06-21-2012, 05:18 PM
Hi ya skunked4life,

I do believe that you do have dialed it in....just fine!
A very nice variety pack of fish....and just over a three day period! :Wink:

Thanx for the fun read and I will be looking forward to reading more of your posts! :Cool:

SP Dan <"))><

skunked4life
06-22-2012, 09:17 AM
[QUOTE=

I do believe that you do have dialed it in....just fine!
[/QUOTE]

Thank your sir! There certainly is alot of info on these boards to glean and learn from but I guess the best way to put it all together is to just go out and do it. Thanks for all of the encouragement and replies to one and all!

smokehound
06-22-2012, 08:23 PM
Yeah man, just spend as much time on the water as you can. And you're welcome.

Spotties and halis will hit a wide variety of lures, if it has a curly-tail, it will work!

fishshep
06-23-2012, 05:29 AM
Thats one of the things I like about fishing and fisherman, WE are all the same, age, profession, intellectual degress,

just a bunch of Adult Children doin what we love to do !!! :LOL::Smile: