PDA

View Full Version : Early Father’s Day with SWAT

bachiboy
06-16-2012, 05:03 PM
So, earlier this week I got invited by Wingnut to join him a few SWAT members to go try our hand at ghost hunting. I’m crazy, but I ain’t stupid. I made every arrangement possible to get a hallpass from my wife to make that trip.:Bawling::UDaMan::Romance:

We met up at dark at the chosen AO. Swells were light to moderate, but the salad made it a little tough, though not unfishable. Wingnut and I started out first while Mike (Bones) geared up.

Right outta the gate I get on the board with my first ever surf caught (much less LC caught) WSB. He was a little guy somewhere in the neighborhood of 17-18”. It was a quick CPR and back to business. Shortly after the release, Mike walked up with Ramiro (Saltman) and the four of us proceeded to carpet bomb the area. Another half hour later, I took a hit but it didn’t stick long, getting himself free on some kelp in short order. I didn’t feel too bad about it cuz it wasn’t pulling like the beast that we were after, but who knows...he might have just been playing opossum. :Head Bang::whistle:

It was about an hour later that Ramiro got hooked up with about a 4lb. calico (no photo...maybe Mike can add one to the post). We were down the beach a ways so I could only make out the dark silhouette of the fish as they CPR’d another victim. As that was all taking place, Albert (Jinbow) showed up to join the session.

Then round two starts when I hook and land another short ghost...even smaller than the first. Mind you, I’m not complaining cuz I’m having a GREAT day. After that, it was Arthur’s turn to get on the scoreboard with a nice chunky checker. :Dancing Banana:

We all kept at it pretty hard when I noticed in the distance that Albert is MAJOR bendo on a fish a ways down the beach. Mike, being the closest, ran to his aid. By the time he got there, Albert had already landed his BEAST. All I can say is WOW!!!! :Bug Eyes: I’ve seen some big calicos in my day, but this was one of the biggest I’ve ever seen...much less from the sand. I’m not going to go too much into it cuz I want Albert to tell his tale. :Wink:

Arthur - Thanks for inviting out today!!! I had a blast and it was great to finally meet you. Next time we’ll tag that legal. :Wink:

Mike - Thanks for letting us in on the action. I figure Poseidon was just saying that you’ve had your fair share and it was time to let us ‘mere mortals’ have a whack on the fish. :Wink::UDaMan:

Ramiro - Sorry I didn’t get a chance to say goodbye. I had to get home to take over watch on my son. Great meeting you today and congrats on your nice calico.:Thumbs Up:

Albert - All I can keep saying is WOW! What a fish. That’s something that you don’t see very often...and never from the sand. Keep your June streak going man! You are on a roll!!!:Applause:

Here are some photos from the session. Enjoy!!! I know I did. :Big Smile: Happy Father’s Day to all you dads out there! :Beer Toast:
Don

First fish on and it ain't even light yet
http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/r627/bachidym/fishon_greylight.jpg

http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/r627/bachidym/WSB1.jpg

Round two with the 'wee' one...
http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/r627/bachidym/fightWSB2.jpg

http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/r627/bachidym/fightWSB2b.jpg

http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/r627/bachidym/WSB2.jpg

Arthur's chunk
http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/r627/bachidym/Wingnut_calico.jpg

The boys in action
http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/r627/bachidym/inthewater.jpg

Group shot
http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/r627/bachidym/SWAT1016-4.jpg

Which Way Out
06-16-2012, 07:16 PM
Hey Don congrats on your first WSB from the surf. 2 no less, good work.

You got out there in the early NO Light and stepped up. Way to go !!!
Great report and pic's as well. I almost came down to join you guys today but somehow I think staying home today will pay off tomorrow.:Wink::Wink::Wink:
Have a happy fathers day with the little one and the keeper of the hall pass .....

WWO

Lots of Lurkers at 7:34pm
Replies: 1
Views: 43

saltman
06-16-2012, 08:35 PM
Don

IT WAS NICE TO MEET YOU TODAY LET'S DO IT AGAIN SOON.
Happy Father Day

Saltman.

Wingnut
06-16-2012, 09:50 PM
Congrats on getting your first WSB from the surf Don. :Big Grin: I'm sure a legal will soon follow...
Had a great time hitting the surf with everybody this morning, too bad I had to bone out early. :Neutral:
Maybe tomorrow, I'll try to head out for a few hours before going to my parents. :Wink:
And yeah, Albert's Calico is an absolute Beast! :EyePop: Can't wait to see his report. :Envious:

Have a fantastic Father's Day buddy. :Cool:

jerryG
06-17-2012, 04:57 AM
Well done Guys... Looking forward to seeing the pictures of Albert's calico it sounds like it was a stellar fish glad to hear Don scored the pass and made it out to fish with the guys.. Way to go on your first and second sea bass from the surf. There is an excellent chance that the next one from the surf will be 28"+.. Yesterday was our family day and my kids don't have any Sunday basket ball games scheduled this Sunday due to it being Fathers Day which means I'm going fishing 8). I'm leaving now and will be headed to the spot.. If anyone is going I will see you guys there.

JerryG

Re8elmonk0341
06-17-2012, 07:23 AM
WTG guys and congrats on your 1st Ghost from the surf, I'm sure there will be many many more in your future.

Great read and HAPPY DADDY DAY to EVERYONE

-m0nk

Lucky Lager
06-17-2012, 08:50 AM
nice going out there!

i hit up Malibu yesterday & fought the HEAVY salad at every location.

only managed 1 12" mack & farmed 1 short hali.

then, i got my feet taken out from under me by a calf high, 1,000mph wave. i've never been hit by a burner like that one before.

after i got out of my waders, i headed back out in shorts & bare feet, but no more action for the day.

congrats on finding fishable conditions! :)

LL

frankjz
06-17-2012, 09:15 AM
That's a great way to start the Father's Day...for me and you guys. I'm looking forward to seeing the big calico!

fz

DockRat
06-17-2012, 10:48 AM
Thanx for the post. Seems like you guys like packing the 2nd pole, spinner ds rod.
Most all the reports are the LC bait casters ?
Do you guys drop shot much ?
DR

koifish
06-17-2012, 02:59 PM
Well done Don and nice team work. Thanks for the post.

Newfishsmell
06-17-2012, 06:33 PM
Great write up bachiboy , Congrats on your 1st Seabass from the sand.
Hope to see you land that legal soon.

PONTOON
06-17-2012, 06:53 PM
Great going out there guys!:Cool: and congratulations Don! I'm sure there'll be plenty more to come.:Thumbs Up:

It was also cool getting the update from Arthur as I was on an assault of my own hitting two AO's.........front yard then the back yard with the mower and edger.:Envious:

jinbow
06-17-2012, 07:45 PM
Congrats on your first surf WSB.
You were the only to catch the ghost that day. And you caught TWO. :Applause:
Looking forward to do some more fishing with you in the sand.
Hope you had a GREAT Father's Day.

Which Way Out
06-17-2012, 09:21 PM
Thanx for the post. Seems like you guys like packing the 2nd pole, spinner ds rod.
DR

DR, I more less started with drop shot. Very easy to do and works well in windy conditions.
WWO

Don sorry for the
http://i769.photobucket.com/albums/xx340/WhichWayOut/threadjack.jpg

man0fsteel
06-17-2012, 10:00 PM
Nice Donny! Yeah, I didn't even make the bell with you earlier today...Didn't hit the sack until 1:30 AM making my first batch of kimchi. I set the alarm for 5:30 am but I woke up at 6:30 am with the radio blaring...you know when the alarm becomes part of your dream? Well that was me this morning:Bawling:

But perhaps the vegetarian gods said I ate enough salad last week and spared me more :Smack:'

I was bummed to hear that it was eel grass city this morning but big props to you chasing the flatties a day after you got into your first WSBs :Not Worthy:

Hope you and the rest of the FNN contributors had a great Fathers Day!

Greg

DockRat
06-17-2012, 10:33 PM
DR, I more less started with drop shot. Very easy to do and works well in windy conditions.
WWO

Yes, the DS does work.

Not necessarily a thread jack discussing gear (used or not used) as seen in pics.
Just a question since most all reports by guys that carry both rods are caught
with the Baitcaster rod. Just wondering if they use the DS rod very often ?
DR

bachiboy
06-18-2012, 02:12 PM
Hey Don congrats on your first WSB from the surf. 2 no less, good work.

You got out there in the early NO Light and stepped up. Way to go !!!
Great report and pic's as well. I almost came down to join you guys today but somehow I think staying home today will pay off tomorrow.:Wink::Wink::Wink:
Have a happy fathers day with the little one and the keeper of the hall pass .....

WWO

Lots of Lurkers at 7:34pm
Replies: 1
Views: 43

Thanks Bill! Arthur was telling me that you might make an appearance that morning. I was looking forward to finally meeting you. Oh well, next time. :Wink: I hope you got a chance later in the weekend to get a line wet.

I think 40 of those 43 lurkers were friends and family checking out the post. :LOL:

Don

IT WAS NICE TO MEET YOU TODAY LET'S DO IT AGAIN SOON.
Happy Father Day

Saltman.

Hey Ramiro, I was hoping to hear that you slayed 'em after we left. Great meeting you Saturday...hope to do it again soon!

Congrats on getting your first WSB from the surf Don. :Big Grin: I'm sure a legal will soon follow...
Had a great time hitting the surf with everybody this morning, too bad I had to bone out early. :Neutral:
Maybe tomorrow, I'll try to head out for a few hours before going to my parents. :Wink:
And yeah, Albert's Calico is an absolute Beast! :EyePop: Can't wait to see his report. :Envious:

Have a fantastic Father's Day buddy. :Cool:

Thanks again Arthur...for everything! Heck, even if I didn't catch anything, I woulda had the time of my life. You and Bones trashin on each other had me just about peeing in my waders. :ROFL::Idiot::Smash: Definitely good stuff there. Hope you had a chance to get a line wet yesterday. If not, I hope the pugs treated pops properly on his day! :Wink:

Well done Guys... Looking forward to seeing the pictures of Albert's calico it sounds like it was a stellar fish glad to hear Don scored the pass and made it out to fish with the guys.. Way to go on your first and second sea bass from the surf. There is an excellent chance that the next one from the surf will be 28"+.. Yesterday was our family day and my kids don't have any Sunday basket ball games scheduled this Sunday due to it being Fathers Day which means I'm going fishing 8). I'm leaving now and will be headed to the spot.. If anyone is going I will see you guys there.

JerryG

Thanks Jerry! Hope you had a great father's day. I woulda loved to have gone back on Sunday to fish with you, but a friend wanted to fish and he only had minimal time to get out, so we headed to a local beach...and unfortunately it was a MAJOR salad fest.:LOL: Hopefully, we'll get a chance to get out there together again soon.

WTG guys and congrats on your 1st Ghost from the surf, I'm sure there will be many many more in your future.

Great read and HAPPY DADDY DAY to EVERYONE

-m0nk

Thanks m0nk! Hope you had a great day yesterday with the family.

nice going out there!

i hit up Malibu yesterday & fought the HEAVY salad at every location.

only managed 1 12" mack & farmed 1 short hali.

then, i got my feet taken out from under me by a calf high, 1,000mph wave. i've never been hit by a burner like that one before.

after i got out of my waders, i headed back out in shorts & bare feet, but no more action for the day.

congrats on finding fishable conditions! :)

LL

Thanks LL! Hey man, I feel your pain. It was pretty thick with salad most of the way...and that 1000mph wave...we felt that too. It would be nice a flat then outta no where...BAMMM! :EyePop: Couple surprise swells to keep us on our toes. :LOL: Hope you find some nicer conditions out there soon.

That's a great way to start the Father's Day...for me and you guys. I'm looking forward to seeing the big calico!

fz

Dude, you have no idea. I'd post a picture of the BEAST, but I don't want to steal Albert's thunder. It was HIS day! :Wink:

DR

Hey DR, I actually haven't drop shotted much at all. I had the extra spinner to toss a swimbait or in case I developed a bad case of backlashitis...usually comes on when the wind blows. :Wink: :Rolls Eyes:

Well done Don and nice team work. Thanks for the post.

Hey Koi!!! Long time. Hope the spill in LB didn't keep you away from the surf too long. Last I remember, you were slaying em out there. Take care!!!!

Great write up bachiboy , Congrats on your 1st Seabass from the sand.
Hope to see you land that legal soon.

Thanks NFS! It was definitely nice to get the monkey off my back with the first. I'm hoping that the legal won't be too far behind, but DAMN...chasing ghosts gets frustrating. :LOL:

Great going out there guys!:Cool: and congratulations Don! I'm sure there'll be plenty more to come.:Thumbs Up:

It was also cool getting the update from Arthur as I was on an assault of my own hitting two AO's.........front yard then the back yard with the mower and edger.:Envious:

Thanks Terry! Just think of it this way...all those whiskers are gonna look good laid out on the clean lawn! Go get 'em man!!!!:Thumbs Up::Thumbs Up:

Congrats on your first surf WSB.
You were the only to catch the ghost that day. And you caught TWO. :Applause:
Looking forward to do some more fishing with you in the sand.
Hope you had a GREAT Father's Day.

Thanks Albert...I just got lucky. Throwing the 130 didn't hurt either. :Wink: That little extra distance made a bit of a difference, cuz both those fish seemed to hit pretty much at the extent of the cast. Gotta get your report up man...I got everyone pumped up and ready for the viewing!!!:LOL::Wink:

Oops!!!! :Embarrassed: I should look before I speak...http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/showthread.php?64978-06-16-12-Malibu-PB-Checker

Nice Donny! Yeah, I didn't even make the bell with you earlier today...Didn't hit the sack until 1:30 AM making my first batch of kimchi. I set the alarm for 5:30 am but I woke up at 6:30 am with the radio blaring...you know when the alarm becomes part of your dream? Well that was me this morning:Bawling:

But perhaps the vegetarian gods said I ate enough salad last week and spared me more :Smack:'

I was bummed to hear that it was eel grass city this morning but big props to you chasing the flatties a day after you got into your first WSBs :Not Worthy:

Hope you and the rest of the FNN contributors had a great Fathers Day!

Greg

Thanks Greg. This is one time I will say that it was a good thing you were a lazy bastage! :LOL: That salad was UNREAL. You can usually get a few cranks in before you start to feel stringers hanging up, but this was as soon as it hit the water. Never wanted to leave the beach so quick in my life. Oh well, it was definitely worth a try. There was a real good sign of life, just couldn't get a clean presentation in front of them...a few beans swimmin around in front of us. :Wink: Get Nate out there this weekend so he can break in his new rod...and don't let him lose this one!!!!:Twisted: I'll be in Florida for the next week and a half. Good luck!!!

Don sorry for the
http://i769.photobucket.com/albums/xx340/WhichWayOut/threadjack.jpg

No worries WWO and DR. Completely valid questions and observations. :Wink:

murrieta angler
06-21-2012, 06:58 AM
Shoot Don,
I know I read this report but can't believe I didn't respond ( I'm getting old :Rolls Eyes: )
Congrats on your first surf WSB. I wish I would have been there to see your expression.
Was it like you expected? Did you feel the LC get bumped from the side or did it try to swallow it?
I know your FL right now and having a good time.
We'll catch up when you get back.
Hopefully there will be a wide open hali fest going on...:Big Grin:
Robert
<><

SP Dan
06-21-2012, 05:00 PM
Hi ya bachiboy,

Congrat's for not only your new species from the surf but for also a personal best for the day....two (2) White Sea Bass!.....From the surf!! :Dancing Banana: WTG!!!

Thanx for the great report my friend! :Cool:

SP Dan <"))><

bachiboy
06-22-2012, 08:18 PM
Shoot Don,
I know I read this report but can't believe I didn't respond ( I'm getting old :Rolls Eyes: )
Congrats on your first surf WSB. I wish I would have been there to see your expression.
Was it like you expected? Did you feel the LC get bumped from the side or did it try to swallow it?
I know your FL right now and having a good time.
We'll catch up when you get back.
Hopefully there will be a wide open hali fest going on...:Big Grin:
Robert
<><

Thanks Robert! The bites were pretty subtle, I guess cuz they were small fish. I actually thought they were both calicos. I've got this mean feeling you guys are gonna slay em this weekend while I'm stuck at disneyworld in the humidity and rain...at least I hope you guys get em!:Wink:

Enjoy!!!

Hi ya bachiboy,

Congrat's for not only your new species from the surf but for also a personal best for the day....two (2) White Sea Bass!.....From the surf!! :Dancing Banana: WTG!!!

Thanx for the great report my friend! :Cool:

SP Dan <"))><

Thanks Dan! I was pretty stoked. Glad u enjoyed the read! Take care...

bloox8
06-24-2012, 07:15 PM
Hey Bachiboy!

I saw this post a while back and thought I posted already! I guess I saw it on my iPhone while I was at work and forgot to send it.

CONGRATS on the WSBs! and Happy late fathers day! I am sure this fathers day gift from Poseidon was absolutely great :LOL:

I am positive that you'll not only get a legal but a BEAST if you keep working the sand the way you do :Smile:

Thien

bachiboy
06-26-2012, 10:35 PM
Hey Bachiboy!

I saw this post a while back and thought I posted already! I guess I saw it on my iPhone while I was at work and forgot to send it.

CONGRATS on the WSBs! and Happy late fathers day! I am sure this fathers day gift from Poseidon was absolutely great :LOL:

I am positive that you'll not only get a legal but a BEAST if you keep working the sand the way you do :Smile:

Thien

Thanks Thien! Hope now that schools out you some time out on the sand! Maybe I'll see you out there some time! :Wink:

Don