PDA

View Full Version : Irvine First Attempt at Catfish tomorrow 6/15 need help.

fishfnatic
06-14-2012, 08:35 PM
So with trout season over :cry: I have put it off long enough. I will be hitting the Vine tomorrow morning bright and early. To my name I have caught a whole 2 catfish out of Irvine dating back to when I first started fishing last catfish season. I have a general idea how it works. I know the baits and rig techniques, but I can never seem to buy a bite.

Anyone have any ideas on what I could be doing wrong? Any spot suggestions? Anyone want to meet up tomorrow (I'll be fishing from shore) I can buy you a beer for any help ;) PMs or a reply would be acceptable. I am looking forward to learning this who catfish fishing thing.

Thanks!

5150fishn
06-14-2012, 08:45 PM
I have yet to be out this season so I can't really give you any hot spots from first hand experience but boat dock cove and the flats have been producing well from what I hear. Hit your bait with some Bite-on Cajun to give it that extra scent. Best suggestion is ask the bait shop in the morning. They really do want you to catch fish and they would probably know best. Good luck and give a report when you get back.

dixoncider
06-14-2012, 08:52 PM
FYI=There is a boat race the next 3 days..Flats will be closed daylight hours...thats what they said on the phone today. I remember it from last year..avoid

fishfnatic
06-14-2012, 09:05 PM
FYI=There is a boat race the next 3 days..Flats will be closed daylight hours...thats what they said on the phone today. I remember it from last year..avoid

Shoot. Thanks for the heads up.

@5150: Yea the staff is always helpful there I just never seem to pull the right info out lol.

5150fishn
06-14-2012, 09:06 PM

Good point! I forgot all about that. Boat dock cove or the the West Shore it sounds like are your options.

Thisfool
06-15-2012, 07:38 AM
i would even give the back of woodys a try.

im not the best catfish fisherman but i do know that if you find the structure you find the cats. and i know woodys has structure. also they cats like drop offs and ridges.

so i would try around the trees in boat dock and woodys in the morning then in the warmer part of the day i would try the mouth of woodys with a bubble and cast as far as you can to get into that deep water.

fishfnatic
06-15-2012, 10:40 PM
I went to Irvine today. Just as I expected. Skunked from 6am until I had to leave at 4pm. Tried mack and shrimp in boat dock cove. Two bites all day between my brother and I. O well. I'll be out there tomorrow evening for some night fishing from a boat. Let's see if I can land a catfish this time. Thanks for trying to help guys.

dixoncider
06-16-2012, 07:23 AM
How was the boat race? Catfishing is better at night "most" of the time..

FKNChristopH
06-16-2012, 11:24 AM
I went to Irvine today. Just as I expected. Skunked from 6am until I had to leave at 4pm. Tried mack and shrimp in boat dock cove. Two bites all day between my brother and I. O well. I'll be out there tomorrow evening for some night fishing from a boat. Let's see if I can land a catfish this time. Thanks for trying to help guys.

i was there yesterday too. skunked from 9-2pm. tubing for cats is cool too, you get to fish the deeper holes. Bring your fish finder and locate the structure. I didnt know flats were closed yesterday so that threw my whole game plan off. Havent been to the vine since my last outing and the water level dropped significantly.

HMU next time you go. I want a rematch at those whisker fish.

fishfnatic
06-16-2012, 12:56 PM
@dixon: Didn't watch the boat races if you could call them that. I think my brother and I heard a total of 5 boats running all day. They were few and far between.

@Christoph: I'm pretty sure I saw you out there by the broken dock. My brother and I were right by the tree. I saw the big swim bait so after reading your report I made the connection. My tube is out of action until I patch it :(. When I get it all squared away I'll meet you at the vine and you can take advantage of my finder and I can take advantage of your catfishing techniques. ;)

FKNChristopH
06-16-2012, 02:11 PM
LOL forsure.. Yea that was definitely me with the big bait.. I hate bait and waiting so i had to keep busy. We should go early AM or later in the PM. PM me.. I can also do a shore fishing day if you want. LMK