PDA

View Full Version : need help for Big Bear

dhcrowder
06-14-2012, 08:27 AM
looking for a little insight on fishing Big Bear this Sat, I know the derby was a little slow last weekend because of the thermocline but hopefully it will be a bit better this weekend. I will be fishing with a boat so I could use a few tips on what part of the lake to fish and what techniques to use for trout. I have read up on big bear and know that poeple use leadcore for trolling, I have no experience with leadcore but if that is my best option I am willing to try anything I have also heard that drifting works as well..........

all tips are welcome and appreciated.

Matt

seal
06-14-2012, 08:53 AM
If you want to bait and wait you need to ID where the thermocline is and use a slip bobber to get you into that zone. I'd bet around the 20' or so area. I normally fly fish with a full sink and that gets me down just right but early and late the fish will probably be up in the water column so during those hours of the day you might get away without the need of leadcore when trolling.

Good luck

dhcrowder
06-14-2012, 09:36 AM
If you want to bait and wait you need to ID where the thermocline is and use a slip bobber to get you into that zone. I'd bet around the 20' or so area. I normally fly fish with a full sink and that gets me down just right but early and late the fish will probably be up in the water column so during those hours of the day you might get away without the need of leadcore when trolling.

Good luck

Thanks,

what would you reccomend for lures/ bait?

SlayinRainbows
06-14-2012, 09:36 AM
As close to the dam as you can get, slip bobber 16-20' deep. Garlic Chartreuse powerbait size 18 treble hook. Put a egg weight or split shot under the bobber, tie on your barrel swivel with a 2' leader to your treble and let it sit

dhcrowder
06-14-2012, 09:41 AM
what is the correct way to rig a slip bobber?

SlayinRainbows
06-14-2012, 03:14 PM
There is a small bobber stopper that you thread about 20ft onto the line, the stopper is usually a knot or a bead. After you measure that out you thread on your slip bobber, a 1/4oz egg weight and tie on a barrel swivel. Then from the barrel swivel give yourself a 2' leader to a size 18 treble with some garlic chartreuse power bait. Anybody else feel free to step in if that doesn't sound right, because I am going off the shore by the dam this Saturday myself and that's exactly what I'm going to be doing.

DrePSP
06-14-2012, 07:33 PM
if you want to troll and dont want to spend bunch of $ on lead core or down riggers. get dipsy diver or fish seeker. both at bass pro. I use 10 or 12 lb main line. dipsy diver is heavier and youll need a heavier set up. the fish seeker has worked for me MANY times. set it up at desired depth and relase line. I release about 100ft. I have my line marked with sharpie. you need to go less than 2 mph. on the end of your diver you can use a snubber (try to get darker or clear color not a bright colored one) then a 4'ft of leader and your lure. I like to use panhter martins. silver, rainbow or gold. needle fish in same colors and gold/red/black. (chicken wing). you need variations to figure out what they are biting on. try 15, 20, 25 depth, you should be able to see where the fish are hanging out on your fish finder.

etucker1959
06-14-2012, 10:45 PM
If you do go the leadcore route it's simple. At the end of your leadcore tie a swivel, next 30 feet of #6 florocarbon leader. Many lures will work but I think needlefish lures were made for leadcore. If you don't want to break the bank on lots of different lures, go to the big tackle store in the marina. They will tell you and sell you the lures the guides are using and working today. Ask them where the guides are trolling for there clients, they will tell you. Even if they don't you can spot them yourself. Start by letting out 3-4 colors of leadcore, once you find the depth and pattern rinse and repeat. All of your fellow anglers gave you good advice on other methods to catch trout in Big Bear, but keep in mind if the winds come up trolling may be your best option.

diamondbear
06-16-2012, 02:38 PM
I was up at Big Bear lk. today [ sat. ] and the wind was wicked , but managed a couple of limits of trout trolling at 4-5 colors leadline with dodger/ flasher and a nitecrawler . I started fishing BBL at 4/1 of this spring and been fishing every weekend since and the bite was on lures early on as the fish were eating anything coming out of hibernation , but now there on a real meal , like worms . Drifting works for the boats around me as I see them doing pretty good but the good bite now is in the west end for the trollers going after holdover trout . The last couple of weekends the holdovers were right around the white bouy just in front of the west launch ramp but today the winds were blowing from the east into the north shore , and right in front of the old Grays landing [north shore]in 25-30 ft. of water the fish were just piled up , fish to 17 inches were caught but a few little ones as the DFG are planting now . This is the second year in a row the trout trolling is the best in like 40 years as said from articles read . Hope this helps as its time to head to DVL , ha // db

TroutOnly
06-16-2012, 04:34 PM
STEVE WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN HIDING YOU DAMN LURKER,,,,,,,,,LOL,,,,,,,,,,,I MISS YOURE POSTS,,,,,,,,,bob,,,,,,,,

diamondbear
06-17-2012, 01:22 PM
Hi Bob , just being lazy on posting I quess . BBL was totally early limits for the first 8 weeks but now its got tougher , but there still there and the trout gotta eat , ha The heavy boat traffic [ skiers ] arent really a problem this year maybe because of the economy ? We lost our good big holdover trout from DVL so Iam getting my fix from BBL [ RED MEATED FISH ]. Anyone feel free to PM me for more info , theres more fish then I'll ever catch there and not a secret but Iam a troller and I see these guys anchored up and fishing in spots that are worth noting . See you at the DVL Bob // steve

etaggart
06-20-2012, 08:51 PM
Hey Steve, nice to see your BBL posts! I'll be up the weekend before July 4th w/ Father-in-Law and his new pontoon boat - so we'll be trolling for trout. I'm guessing we'll actually drift in the typical trout areas - drifting has been more productive for us when in a boat - haven't been able to dial-in the trolling.

If the winds keep up this coming weeking I'll try for trout on the fly from the tube - and we'll see if I get lucky.

Cheers,

Eric

diamondbear
06-21-2012, 10:31 AM
Hi Eric , the drifting for trout seem to work for alot of guys around me between boulder and metcalf bays towards the center of lk. I see the people fighting there fish with a bobber attached , a good area is the white bouy right in front of the west public ramp but last sat. it was right in front of the old grays landing closer to shore , good luck , fishing from a new pontoon , gotta love that leg room .

blackberg
06-21-2012, 01:04 PM
want to take the pontoon up there eventually too
-bb