PDA

View Full Version : SWAT Yakking 6/11-13 - the right kind... eventually

midgettosser1
06-13-2012, 11:26 PM
After driving by the armada sitting off the coast on several occasions over the past week, I finally decided to get my *** outta bed early and do something about it.

6/11
Realizing I lost my gaff and had no means of procuring one before monday morning (and not wanting to go after the big dogs gaff-less), I opted first to try surf fishing, as intel had shown some interesting results. Hit the spot at 6am to a really low tide and lots of salad. Eventually Bones showed up (lighting fires generally tends to keep you from getting to the beach at gray light), and we fished together for a bit longer for nothing. Called it quits around 8:30 or so. Just wasn't meant to be this day.

6/12
After picking up a new gaff after work on Monday it was time to get the yak wet after a long hiatus.
Got down to the beach around 6am and onto the grounds around 6:30am. Actually started setting up my gear just short of the grounds. Tossed out some frozen squid on my first rod while setting up my second rod. Within seconds I had a small rockfish on. Kind of a waste of bait, but skunk off none the less. Rebaited and dropped it back down for a nice calico. And then another.
Once everything was set I paddled out and situated myself amongst the PBers and yakkers. Drifted around til about 9am or so and decided to call it quits since I had a work meeting at 11. But before I packed everything up I decided to drop some more squid down just outside the grounds and managed a short ling. Didn't get what I was after, but at least I had a super dry launch and landing given the conditions (which were supposed to be 1-2ft waves).

6/13
Had more time today to target what I was after, and I was prepared to stay on the water until I got one... or until I had to get back to work for a 3pm meeting.
This time I made sure I was up early and at the beach before gray light. Started bringing my gear down to the sand in the dark so I could be paddling before it got light out. Naturally I left my gaff at home, but at least I had my lip gripper in the car, so it would have to do.
Made it to the grounds while it was still gray and attempted to jig up some squid. Only managed one, but didn't really try too hard to get more. Put him on the dropper loop and rigged a fresh frozen on a white jig. On my second or third drift (about 30 min into fishing) I feel a tap tap tap on the live squid. After somehow resisting the urge to set the hook (fished 4/0 circles) the fish takes off, peeling line and dragging me with him. While holding on to the rod with my right hand, I clear my jig rod with my left, all while getting a nice sleigh ride. After 5 minutes or so I get the fish up and manage to drag him across my lap with the lip gripper. First legal white seabass from the yak. Measured it at 46" when I got home. No 50lb tanker, but still my biggest legal from yak and surf combined.

SP Dan
06-14-2012, 05:15 AM
Yahoo..... midgettosser1!! :Big Smile: :Applause: WTG!!

"Congratulations Mike"...on your fabulous "first legal WSB from your YAK" and for your PB "largest" from both the surf and yak" my friend!
Now...that is one huge monster of a Fish to be proud of!..... and I'll tell ya......I'd luv to have an "E" Ticket sleigh ride of that kind any day....any time my friend :EyePop:!! Heck.....I'm :Big Grin: grinning...... just thinking about it!

Mike....you hung in there soldier, you persevered all kinds of changing conditions and challenges along the way...... and you were rewarded with an approx 32 - 33 pound trophy "White Sea Bass" as your prize! Not a bad day.....not a bad day at all! Poseidon definitely took a liking to you on this day!

Thanx Mike.....for not only getting my blood to a boiling point for this up coming weekend ...but for the excellent fishing report with pic's!

Again......WTG.... S.W.A.T. Brother Mike!! :Cool:

PS......it must have been a beautiful site just to see that magnificent fish just swim away! :Wink:
Hhmmmmm........... Did I hear someone say......tacos?????:LOL:

SP Dan <"))><

DockRat
06-14-2012, 05:44 AM
:Applause::Applause::Applause::Applause::Applause: :Applause::Applause::Applause:
I guess you only need 1 piece of bait. WTG
DR

Which Way Out
06-14-2012, 06:44 AM
WTG Mike. That location has had some nice fish pulled up recently. Good idea backing away from all the commotion and finding a Yak PB WSB

Enjoy, who needs a gaff anyway:Applause:

WWO

Lucky Lager
06-14-2012, 07:49 AM
NICE FISH!!
can't wait to trick one of those into eating one of my lures in the near future.
congrats!
LL

fish_sauce
06-14-2012, 08:19 AM
Mike,

It's always good to see perseverance finally pay off. That is one heck of a fish! Congrats! :Cool:

Andrew

rcappelle
06-14-2012, 09:58 AM
Yeah congrats on that fish. I've never caught a legal WSB before. Where are you guys getting these? I usually fish La Jolla Shores and the yellowtail bite is ok...

bachiboy
06-14-2012, 10:08 AM
Awesome fish MT1!!!!!:EyePop: Way to stick it to em. Funny how WSB will nibble like a BSP at first, but once they get a hold of it...zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!!! Game on! One bait, one fish...guess you jigged up all that was needed. :Wink:

Congrats!
Don

Wingnut
06-14-2012, 11:50 AM
Sweet catch Mike... probably the same fish that schooled me a couple of weekends ago. :LOL: :Envious:
You were way overdue for a nice fish! :Thumbs Up:

frankjz
06-14-2012, 01:25 PM
That's a great looking WSB. How do you catch live squid? Net?

Armofisher818
06-14-2012, 01:57 PM
Nice bro yakfishing is beast!! Congrats on the 46er from the yak i could imagine the sleigh ride would be sick, still have to land a fish on my yak. Its dangerous fishing alone in the big blue sea, you should take a newbie yakker with you next time :Big Grin:

murrieta angler
06-14-2012, 04:09 PM
Great job Mike,
When I recieved the text from Arturo, he gave the impression that it was from the sand...still a great fish from surf or topside.
Thanks for the report,
Robert
<><

iLLest
06-15-2012, 11:30 PM
damn bro, thats a beauty!
Congrats on withstanding the slay ride! hahaha.
see ya soon man

bloox8
06-16-2012, 12:42 AM
Holy %#$!! Thats a nice ghost! Way to slay on the yak!
I can't wait till I get my first kayak. Its going to be great!

ToadsToadsOnly
06-20-2012, 11:04 PM
Good job mike and nice fish sometime you have to put in work for your fish and you surely did. Let me know if you plan to head out there again this weekend Jerry G and I were thinking of making a run up north to try out our luck on the yaks out there.

sidified
06-20-2012, 11:32 PM
WTG, 'Tosser!! That's a pretty great argument for picking up a yak.. Congrats on a great score..
Sid

midgettosser1
06-21-2012, 08:44 AM
Thanks everyone. It was an accomplishment I've always wanted to achieve on the yak. Normally I just fish the kelp for calicos and sometimes halibut, so the whole experience of paddling out that far and joining the armada was definitely new to me, but definitely worth it.

Jonathan, sent you a text. Seems they moved out, but hopefully I will catch wind of the next bite once it pops up.