PDA

View Full Version : Need some Advice!!

Headhunter
08-22-2007, 12:40 PM
Ok, We're getting ready to go on our annual Eastern Sierra Outing...4 days this year. We're going this next week.

In the past, we have always gone to a few specific places that we enjoy:

Gull, Silverlake, Mary, Mammoth creek, Mammoth Twin Lakes, George, and Rush Creek.

THIS year, we'd like to maybe scout out some different territory up there.

So, we're looking for some suggestions on places to fish.

Virginia Lakes, Bridgeport, Owens River, Walker river???

Any of those? Any other suggestions?

I happen to like river fishing, so I'm thinking perhaps the Owens or Walker might be a choice. But, I have NO clue as to where to go at those locations.

Thanks!

FickMoney
08-22-2007, 12:43 PM
bridgeport area has sooo many places you could go. we usually camp at robinson creek and fish all around the area at green creek, twin lakes, bridgeport res, e. and w. walker, etc.

aboos
08-22-2007, 12:50 PM
i tried virginia lakes for the first time and i loved it. wasnt catching 5 lbers or anything but they were decent sized. also, i fished east walker and we did pretty well right where the water comes out from bridgeport res. check out my post..hope it helps!

http://fishingnetwork.net/forum1/viewtopic.php?t=6749

duffman
08-22-2007, 02:47 PM
i just came from silver lake. the lake looked good, but rush creek was very low.

Headhunter
08-22-2007, 09:10 PM
Yeah, that's what I've...Rush creek being pretty low. We've always liked silverlake, although we've never had much luck there. I LOVE the little Cafe there, though!

Hey, thanks, guys, for all the suggestions.....keep em coming!

Convict lake has made it onto our "must fish" list as well. It is just so Damn Gorgeous there! And, we'd caught a bunch 'o fish as well!

What about the Owens? upper or lower? and how do we get to it? I know we pass it quite a bit on the way up, but where do we go to fish it?

Headhunter
08-22-2007, 09:10 PM
Yeah, that's what I've heard...Rush creek being pretty low. We've always liked silverlake, although we've never had much luck there. I LOVE the little Cafe there, though!

Hey, thanks, guys, for all the suggestions.....keep em coming!

Convict lake has made it onto our "must fish" list as well. It is just so Damn Gorgeous there! And, we'd caught a bunch 'o fish as well!

What about the Owens? upper or lower? and how do we get to it? I know we pass it quite a bit on the way up, but where do we go to fish it?

mammothsnowman
08-23-2007, 07:00 AM
Getting there is easy. The turn off is right near the exit to get to Convict lake. If your headed north on 395 you will see the green church on your right hand side of 395 about 6 miles north of the Crowley Lake Exit.

Turn right and drive for about 5 minutes and you will see the river... from the bridge down to the monument you can bait, spin and fly fish. The rest of the river is 2 fish 18 inches on barbless fly or lure only!

The upper Owens is a must for anyone who wants a full stringer. Why? The local fish hatchery has to put all there fish in there do to the mud snail.

Here is a video of just one spot getting stocked:
http://www.easternsierrabentrods.com/st ... -mono.html (http://www.easternsierrabentrods.com/stocking-fish-mono.html)

Good Luck on your adventure!
Snowman out...

Mater
08-23-2007, 08:40 AM
I just came from owens rvr. Mammothsnow had the directions right. It is easy to find and get to. We camped at Browns campground and fished from the bridge south. Did well with red Gulp power balls. You can go into Browns campground (for a fee) and fish anywhere or you can go north (upstream) of the bridge and fish for free. There are special rules north of the bridge. Also if you go pass Browns campgroud there are dirt roads on your right that you can drive down to the river and fish. Both ways are fun.

duffman
08-23-2007, 09:30 AM
the exit with the little church to get to the owens is called benton crossing.

if you go to convict be sure to get there early, it was loaded with people on saturday.

Headhunter
08-23-2007, 09:58 AM
....and THIS is why I love this place so much!

Thanks for the input, Guys....I'll be sure to post a full report on how we do!

Hey, here's one other thing my son brought up last night:

He suggested that we might want to find a small lake that's a mile or two off the roads, one that we could easily hike into and spend the day. Something with some of that awesome Sierra Scenery....oh, and lots of fish!

we MAY want to pack our float tubes in, so it shouldn't be too far out in the boonies.

Any suggestions for that?

Headhunter
08-27-2007, 08:11 AM
Tomorrow we head up the 395...any last minute suggestions?