PDA

View Full Version : Xplicit Success! Catfish Opener @ the Vine 2012! (Report)

TaperSteve
06-10-2012, 07:33 PM
My Daughter and I arrived at the lake Saturday afternoon around 12pm. Big Daddy and 2quik where already on the water in search of the kitties. Before too long many of the other Team Xplicit members started showing up. First new member Z-Bao whom I ran in to at the tackle. He was stopping in to ask, "Do you know where TaperSteve's campsite is? Daniella replied, "Here he is" as she pointed to me. It's always nice meeting new people, welcome to the family!

After paying my camping/fishing fee's I headed to the launch ramp to launch my boat. It's always nice having an empty launch ramp during the summer hours versus the busy trout season. It didn't take long for me to launch my boat then it was off to the campsites to set up camp.

By 4pm there where about twenty hungry mouths to feed impatiently waiting for all the good grub. First up on the menu was some fried chicken and pesto chicken pasta salad. In true Xplicit fashion there was no shortage of meat (that didn't sound right). A couple different kindas of hot links, steak, spiral sliced ham, ribs, etc.... where all quickly disappearing.
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y223/TaperSteve/6-9-12/2012-06-09_15-17-14_113.jpg
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y223/TaperSteve/6-9-12/2012-06-09_15-18-21_83.jpg

Pesto!
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y223/TaperSteve/6-9-12/2012-06-09_15-29-20_850.jpg

More good grub!
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y223/TaperSteve/6-9-12/2012-06-09_16-10-05_686.jpg
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y223/TaperSteve/6-9-12/2012-06-09_16-10-15_125.jpg
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y223/TaperSteve/6-9-12/2012-06-09_16-10-30_641.jpg

Celebrity appearance by Team Trolltoon!
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y223/TaperSteve/6-9-12/2012-06-09_16-10-43_940.jpg
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y223/TaperSteve/6-9-12/2012-06-09_16-11-02_395.jpg

With full bellies everyone hit the water by 6pm. First off my Daughter and I decided to try off the tip of Trout Island. Big Daddy & 2quik where anchored up close by in Jo' Momma II as well as Josh, Thisfool, & Z-Bao in Josh's boat. Tried for about an hour for no bites so my Daughter and I decided to head in for a restroom break. Later I got news that soon after we pulled anchor and moved Thisfool landed a 10+lb wiper! Congrats on the catch of a lifetime bro, those suckers fight like a freight train!

After a quick restroom break my Daughter and I again hit the water but this time we decided to try in Boat Dock Cove. I motored around watching my fishfinder until I found a nice little hole to anchor up in (again, that didn't sound right).

By now it was almost 8pm and the sun was just starting to set. Here is a pic I shot of yet another beautiful Vine sunset!
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y223/TaperSteve/6-9-12/2012-06-09_19-26-38_478.jpg

Looks like we got luckly and I found tthe honey hole. By 8pm the bite was "Wide F%#&ing Banana Ape S#%$ Open. Over the next hour the action was fast and furious. My 5th fish (for my limit) tipped my Rapala scale just under 8lbs. With full limits it was time to head in to buy a second limit pass. So it was decision tme, weigh-in the big fish now or roll the dice and hope for something bigger. I wasn't sure if my honey would even be open anymore so I decided to play it safe and weigh-in my big fish. The big channel ended up tipping the Vine's scale at 7lbs 12ozs.

Next I headed back out and again lady luck was on my side as the honey hole was still open. The bite was still on 100% full throttle as I couldn't even get my second line baited and in the water before my other rod would be getting slammed again. After my 8th fish I decided to bait both rigs before casting out. I cast both rigs out and again almost instantly one of my clickers starts screaming away. I set the hook and right away I could tell this fish was a monster! As I started fighting the fish the clicker on my other reel starts screaming. There was no way I was going to mess with it so I tried to ignore it while I fought the big one.

After a good solid 10 minute fight I netted a GIANT channel cat. I knew this cat was easily over the 10lb mark. Overwhelmed by all the action I decided to take a breather, pull anchor, and go show Big Daddy and 2quik the big fish. Good thing I did as Jo' Momma's II was dead in the water and they were in need of a tow. As we approached the launch ramp dock the shift cable on my motor broke so the "Camo Slaya" was dead in the water too. I rowed over to shore and decided to beach my boat and deal with it in the morning.

With about an hour and a half to kill till the scales closed we decided to weigh the big fish and hang out and watch all the other big fish hit the scales. There were many, many fish weighed-in in the 4-5lb class. After what seemed like an eternity the clock struck 1am and the scales closed. Jimmy tallied up the results.

Xplicit was in full force as about half of the top 10 spots where occupied by team members. I ended up with 3rd place and $183 in prize money! Congrats to Big Daddy who edged me out in 2nd place and all the other winners!

All our fish today were caught on fresh cut mackeral dipped/soaked in Bite-On Cajun!
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y223/TaperSteve/6-9-12/2012-06-10_01-43-57_791.jpg
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y223/TaperSteve/6-9-12/2012-06-10_01-43-02_851.jpg
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y223/TaperSteve/6-9-12/P1050641.jpg

I already can't wait for the next fishing trip! It's going to be an amazing summer at my favorite lake, the Vine! Lots of events on the schedule this summer. Next month we'll be getting together again to BBQ/camp the 4th of July Shootout (second King of the Cats qualifier) and then the Team Xplicit Catfish Co-op II in August. Stay tuned to the "Fishing Rendezvous" section here on FNN for more details on these exciting events. Come join Team Xplicit Fishing for some good times, great fishing, and outstanding food by the campfire! Hope to see y'all on the water soon!

TaperSteve

Hometown
06-10-2012, 08:08 PM
Great report TS and great way to get the cat season started.See everyone at the the July Shootout.Team Xplicit

Carptain_Bao
06-10-2012, 08:15 PM
We had a lot of fun yesterday, you and April killed em yesterday steve,it's really nice to fish with you guys!

Hometown
06-10-2012, 08:34 PM
Bao see at the Vine soon.

PONTOON
06-10-2012, 08:46 PM
Great report Steve!:Cool:

It was definitely good to see the "Night Shift" back on duty for the catfish season and it was definitely cool to get the chance to stop and visit with the team. When we were standing at the top od the hill it took me a while to get myself in the right frame of mind seeing al that good BBQ working on the grill. Damn that food looked good and tempting too!:EyePop:

Glad to hear you all got on a good bite and congratulations to you and all the rest of the team who made it into the KoC's:Thumbs Up:

Thisfool
06-10-2012, 08:52 PM
nice report steve

way to kill them out there.

and now you get to just relax and hunt down more honey holes. pressure to qualify is off your back way to get it done brotha

OC ANGLER
06-10-2012, 09:34 PM
Nice report Steve ... good to finally meet you last night along with Big Daddy and a couple of the others ! tried to get there earlier in the day to join in on the BBQ festivities but didnt get to the lake until 6pm and then once i was there I ended up being a witness to a bad accident back in woodies cove . if you guys seen the fire trucks and ambulance there it was cause some partyers were goofin around in there truck driving a little fast down to the back of woodies with one of there friends sitting on the tail gate and the guy fell off and hit the ground hard , did a couple flips , and came to a scrapping stop where he was knocked out for over 15 minutes atleast . guy was pretty badly hurt . Ended my night with a few bass and a couple small cats from the west shore and woodies point. iam new to catching the kitties so hopping to learn a few things this summer !

mjc89
06-11-2012, 12:42 AM
You killed out there Steve. Congrats. I cant wait to get out there. Ive been really busy but plan on heading out on the boat thursday the 21. Probably will take the fam and spend all day and night till 11pm.

5150fishn
06-11-2012, 09:50 AM
Great report Steve! Bummed I missed this event and I didn't even get my plumbing issue finished. Had some allergic reaction that knocked me out all weekend. Great to hear that you and April had a blast out there. Congrats to all of my Xpicit crew that qualified! Looks like great food as usual. See you next time bro.

Rooster
06-11-2012, 10:01 AM
Way to slay TS... Your Report and pics are awesome bro. Hope 2 cya out there at the next one. Props

Hitts0n
06-11-2012, 01:21 PM
Great report ! I love it ! I hope I can get out there for the next tourney!
You guys slayed um out there!! Ponto0n man sorry I missed you out there!
Thanks for posting great reports like this Xplicit Steve! Congrats to the Bite-0n Pro Staff!
Looking forward to meeting our new members !

trollmiester
06-11-2012, 02:35 PM
nice to see all those team explicit members out there from f.n.n.Everybody was happy bbq in and there was no drama.Just a bunch of smiiles and laughs.Fellow fisherman just having a good time.Saw your big stinger and your smiling face at the weigh in.Like i said all good people and it was nice to see blue wagon.bigdaddy,pontoon and you in the hunt for the masters.Thanx for the report and nice for you taking your daughter fishing.

Big Daddy
06-11-2012, 03:43 PM
Just woke up I may be getting to old for all this fun. Great job Steve and April (what a trooper always out there fishing and catching with dad she's a keeper buddy) great report and another great event put on by you and all that participate. Congrats on Qualifing for the KOC tourny. I think 8 of our group made the cut for the king of cats (I am claiming uncle team woodward Congrats on top fish, as part of us as well as that whole gang) what a great night next Tourny hopefully 8 more will make it it is going to be a great year.

See Chris Fish
06-11-2012, 09:49 PM
So much fun, even without a fish. All part of the learning curve.
Great to see all the old friends and meet some new ones.
TS starting the "schooling" early!!! In the Masters on the first try. Way to go.

troutdog
06-11-2012, 10:35 PM
What a day, thank you guys for all coming out and making it a memorable one.....good friends and good fishing, does it get any better?

Congrats to all the KOTC qualifiers!

TD

Hitts0n
06-12-2012, 11:44 AM
Lol Chris we gotta get into the KOC ! Can you imagine most of Team Xplicit in the tourney?
We couldnt help each other like we usually do,cant tell secrets,no sharing bait...we would turn on each other for 8 hours.
Hahhaahahahahahaha funny thought huh? You guys rock !!!! See you at the next Fuction !

TaperSteve
06-12-2012, 01:58 PM
nice to see all those team explicit members out there from f.n.n.Everybody was happy bbq in and there was no drama.Just a bunch of smiiles and laughs.Fellow fisherman just having a good time.Saw your big stinger and your smiling face at the weigh in.Like i said all good people and it was nice to see blue wagon.bigdaddy,pontoon and you in the hunt for the masters.Thanx for the report and nice for you taking your daughter fishing.

Couldn't have said it any better myself! It's going to be an amazing, action packed summer!

TS

BLUE WAGON
06-12-2012, 07:46 PM
wow, what a way to put team xplicit on the map. great to see everybody again, good food and lots o fun.
TS showing everybody how its done, your the man !!
would also like to welcome stabao to the team and congrats for getting in the top 10..

BLUE WAGON
06-13-2012, 08:44 PM
Can I stop a thread or what !!

Carptain_Bao
06-13-2012, 08:50 PM
Can I stop a thread or what !!

Lol thread kills right there. I really enjoyed hanging out with you guys and thank you blue wagon for all the kind words and those tips for SFD!

See Chris Fish
06-13-2012, 09:59 PM
Bao, did you keep that paper plate? lol

troutdog
06-13-2012, 10:55 PM
Repeat for the "Independence Day Shootout"?

Hope to see you all there....(July 7th, mark your calendar!)

TD

Hometown
06-13-2012, 11:10 PM
Team Xplicit hitting the vine strong come have some fun

Carptain_Bao
06-16-2012, 11:17 PM
Bao, did you keep that paper plate? lol

Of course lol, all the secrets are in my phone now!