PDA

View Full Version : Need Halibut Help!!!

parkermann2
06-10-2012, 07:12 PM
Hey guys i have been reading all the reports this year of all you guys catching halibut in the surf and i really wanna try. During the first week of July i will be at a family members beach house in Sunset Beach (i was told there are a decent amount of halibuts here). I really wanna catch my first halibut from the surf. I have been surf fishing many times before but only for bsp and yfc.

I need help I'm probably gonna get some LCs or something like them and i have 2 poles i think i can use but other than that i am pretty much clueless. If anyone can help me i would very much appreciate it. I would really like some help and will take whatever youve got to tell me.

I have a shimano baitcaster with 15lb mono and a 7ft pole and i have a spinning reel with 10lb line and a 7ft pole... would these work???

Also are there any better spots around Sunset Beach (mabey Long Beach or Bolsa Chica Beach). Also Hunnington harbor is right across the street. Mabey there is a spot you colud pm me about (im not trying to steal a spot i only go to the beach 2-3 times a year). Again any advice or tips you have to offer i will take.

Thanks i appreciate it:Big Grin::Big Grin:

Which Way Out
06-10-2012, 08:17 PM
The best place to start is in the Sticky just above your post.

Sticky: Intro: So you want to catch halibut from the surf...
Sticky: Surf Fishing 101 - The Basics

Read them both and it will help get you on the right path.
Good luck
WWO

parkermann2
06-10-2012, 08:37 PM

Good luck
WWO

Thanks! I really appriciate it

SP Dan
06-11-2012, 08:42 AM
Hi ya parkermann2,

First of all....welcome to the FNN family and our world of "Surf Fishing"! :Thumbs Up: Lots of excellent INTEL to be had here!

WWO is 100% correct....read (study) the posted "STICKYS"...that's a great place to get started!
Also...all of the beaches that you had mentioned in your post are excellent habitats for Hali fishing! :Big Grin:

The number one thing for me is.... learn each beach along with it's tides and conditions for optimum fishing results! Know when and where to fish! Some beaches fish better when they are drained and others fish better when they are flooded. You need to learn this!

I still keep a fishing ledger (from the day that I started surf fishing) of every session and it's end results at every beach!
Learn your beaches and learn what to look for....trenches, etc.!
There is a big Hali out there with your name on it.....go and get it....and remember............have fun!

PS.......we also practice "CPR" in our group. Capture...Photograph....Release.

Good luck in your fishing endeavors and I hope to be reading a Hali post from you in the near future! :Cool:

SP Dan <"))><

parkermann2
06-11-2012, 10:44 AM
Hi ya parkermann2,

First of all....welcome to the FNN family and our world of "Surf Fishing"! :Thumbs Up: Lots of excellent INTEL to be had here!

WWO is 100% correct....read (study) the posted "STICKYS"...that's a great place to get started!
Also...all of the beaches that you had mentioned in your post are excellent habitats for Hali fishing! :Big Grin:

The number one thing for me is.... learn each beach along with it's tides and conditions for optimum fishing results! Know when and where to fish! Some beaches fish better when they are drained and others fish better when they are flooded. You need to learn this!

I still keep a fishing ledger (from the day that I started surf fishing) of every session and it's end results at every beach!
Learn your beaches and learn what to look for....trenches, etc.!
There is a big Hali out there with your name on it.....go and get it....and remember............have fun!

PS.......we also practice "CPR" in our group. Capture...Photograph....Release.

Good luck in your fishing endeavors and I hope to be reading a Hali post from you in the near future! :Cool:

SP Dan <"))><

Thanks SP Dan!!!! i have been looking at those posts and have learned a lot but i still dont know very much. i will keep reading Thanks again

SP Dan
06-12-2012, 07:18 PM
Thanks SP Dan!!!! i have been looking at those posts and have learned a lot but i still dont know very much. i will keep reading Thanks again

I still refer to my self as the "GRASSHOPPER" the "NEWBY" when I fish with many of my more experienced SWAT Brothers!
Just start.....and then just learn to go in the direction that makes you feel the most comfortable and confident at hooking and landing fish!

I wish you much fun and success!

SP Dan <"))><

parkermann2
06-12-2012, 08:51 PM
I still refer to my self as the "GRASSHOPPER" the "NEWBY" when I fish with many of my more experienced SWAT Brothers!
Just start.....and then just learn to go in the direction that makes you feel the most comfortable and confident at hooking and landing fish!

I wish you much fun and success!

SP Dan <"))><

Thanks SP Dan will do

parkermann2
06-27-2012, 05:49 PM

reelgurlzfish
06-27-2012, 06:17 PM

Good luck
WWO
I dont see these sticky's... i see some stickys but not with those titles. how do i find them?

Wingnut
06-27-2012, 06:26 PM
I dont see these sticky's... i see some stickys but not with those titles. how do i find them?

Here ya go... :Cool:

http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/showthread.php?14334-Surf-Fishing-101-The-Basics

http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/showthread.php?41562-Intro-So-you-want-to-catch-halibut-from-the-surf

http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/showthread.php?34019-Modifying-Factory-Lucky-Crafts!

vanillagurilla
06-27-2012, 08:12 PM
There's not many secrets about halibut from the surf, all I can tell you is don't get discouraged if your not putting a lot of fish on the sand and fish hard. Cast until your tired and then keep going. I can't tell you how how many times I took someone with me that have up on the halibut, then started perching and then Ill catch a hali and they wonder why there not catching any lol. Just keep at it and you'll get one.

parkermann2
06-27-2012, 08:23 PM
There's not many secrets about halibut from the surf, all I can tell you is don't get discouraged if your not putting a lot of fish on the sand and fish hard. Cast until your tired and then keep going. I can't tell you how how many times I took someone with me that have up on the halibut, then started perching and then Ill catch a hali and they wonder why there not catching any lol. Just keep at it and you'll get one.

thanks vanillagurilla

reelgurlzfish
06-28-2012, 09:12 AM
Here ya go... :Cool:

http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/showthread.php?14334-Surf-Fishing-101-The-Basics

http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/showthread.php?41562-Intro-So-you-want-to-catch-halibut-from-the-surf

http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/showthread.php?34019-Modifying-Factory-Lucky-Crafts! thank you !

parkermann2
06-29-2012, 07:24 PM
Thanks guys hopefully you will be reading a report from me with a nice legal in the near future. I am going next week and plan on having a lot of fun.