PDA

View Full Version : Baitcasting Butts!

keada714
06-09-2012, 09:22 PM
Heyah Folks!!

Finally took a plunge into the dark side!! Picked up my first ever bait casting setup last week and threw it once around the local city lake for some practice. Got a 253 Luna paired with g.loomis crankbait!! Boy oh boy was it totally different from what i'm use to. Got my butt kicked and practically spent most of my time getting rid of the infamous over runs!!! Can't forget losing 75 percent of my fluorocarbon line on the spool!!:Evil:

Got into an argument with my girlfriend, so i decide to fish it off. Got up to cherry beach around 820 and headed straight toward the surf. Try fishing the low tide for more than 2 hours. I said try because I couldn't cast more than 25 feet without getting over runs! Got so frustrated I opted to try other ways of casting. Tried side casting and that felt a lot more natural so I continued to cast this way.

Slow but surely I see the LC being toss further and further! I was still getting over runs but it was manageable. Finally got into a groove and kept at it. Finally got a hit and immediately felt the head shake!! Woohooo!! Brought the little bugger in real quick! Took a quick picture and sent him off. Three cast later I get another hit 15 feet away from me. Brought the little guy in and released him immediately (no pictures). Continued to fish for another hour without any action so I decided it was time to head home.

All in all I am very happy with my first bait casting setup!! I've fished spinning ever since a young boy and i can definitely cast further with the new setup. The only complaint I have so far beside the over run is it feels a bit unnatural when setting the hook. I haven't found a sweet spot for it yet.. I know this post is a bit dull but thanks for reading it. Still waiting for that first legal post! Keep those line tight guys!!!

Mark

Thanks lagunaCOCONUT for the awesome ROD!!!!
http://i45.tinypic.com/15cmxia.jpg

First fish on a baitcaster!! AWESOME!!
http://i45.tinypic.com/fc03dk.jpg

bassfishing24/7
06-09-2012, 09:52 PM
Congrats On ur first catch On the baitcast!!im also located in el monte if u ever need a Fishing partner.lmk.

TroutKings3
06-10-2012, 09:56 AM
Way to break in the new set-up! How far of a cast do you with that crankbait rod and the LC?

keada714
06-10-2012, 11:27 PM
Congrats On ur first catch On the baitcast!!im also located in el monte if u ever need a Fishing partner.lmk.

Hey bass,
Thanks! I'm always down to fish with others! PM me with contact information!

Way to break in the new set-up! How far of a cast do you with that crankbait rod and the LC?

Hey TroutKing,
Sure was a nice way to break it in. As for how far it cast the LC,I can't really give you a number. It looked like i was getting the same distance as my spinning setup. Again, i've only spent about 5 hours throwing a baitcaster setup. However, i also threw the 5/8 kroc and got nearly half of the line out of my spoon out.

bassfishing24/7
06-11-2012, 07:58 AM
Pmed u keada.

SP Dan
06-11-2012, 08:31 AM
Hi ya keada714,

First of all...."Congratulations Mark" on your first encounter of the correct flat species with your new bait-casting set up! WTG! :Thumbs Up:

Me on the other hand.....I also have a new bait-casting set up, ...... (never used) because I am finding it very difficult for me to make the change over from spinning to casting! I truly thought that I wanted to make the change but I haven't as of yet! My Shimano Stradic 3000 CI4 spinning reel weighs 1/3 the weight of my new Luna 253L reel. And besides...I like the weight of my reel hanging on the bottom of my rod.....allowing me to relax my arm and my grip hold on my rod. I find that after 10-12 hrs of casting.....my arm feels fine and not sore or tired like many of my brothers whom I have shared the salt with and they have shared this sore arm fact with me.
I've landed Striped Bass, WSB and Hali's with my current spinning set up and I don't get any bird's-nests! There's nothing wrong with a spinning set up (it's just a personal preference) for surf fishing.....a lot of my S.W.A.T. Brothers still use spinning set ups and are having fantastic results!
Like you.... some day I will have to give it a go! Change is not always easy Mark! :Wink:

I wish you many seasons with fantastic results..... with your new casting set up! Keep those reports coming!

Thanx for the fun read with excellent action shots of your caught fish! :Cool:

SP Dan <"))><

Wingnut
06-11-2012, 10:37 AM
SP Dan is right, it's all about personal preference... whatever feels comfortable for you is what you should use. Most spinning set-ups nowadays can handle just about anything a bait cast set-up can do. As for me, once I made the switch to a bait caster for throwing lures in the surf, I never went back to a spinning set-up, except for drop shotting purposes. I find that with a bait caster, I can muscle the fish a lot better and I feel more confident in the drag system. To each his own... but I think all you need is a little practice to dial it in. I also have a couple Luna 253's and they are excellent reels. :Wink:

Congrats on your first fish on the bait caster, now go get yourself a legal. :Cool:

keada714
06-11-2012, 11:20 AM
Hey SP Dan!
Thanks for the kind words and wisdom! It took me nearly a year to decide it was time to give bait casting a go, mostly because I was very hesitant to spend the money. I’m very glad I took the plunge. I can see my casts are further with less effort. Like with everything, it does have its cons. The one I’ve found really annoying is over runs something every newbie experienece!:LOL: I’ve also found it uncomfortable to have the heavier weight of the reel on top appose to the bottom. I’m 100% sure this is why I’m having a hard time getting use to the hook set. I’m sure both of these issues will fade as I get more experience under my belt.

Overall, I’m very happy with the switch! I do encourage you to give your bait casting setup a fighting chance. Good or bad, experiencing something new is what makes life exciting! Thanks again for sharing your experience!

Arthur,
Thanks for the insight! You and SP Dan did a great job describing some of the pro/cons of each setup. I do agree it’s all about preference. Confident is key to catching fish! As for the “gut” and drag system on the bait casting, I can’t say much on it, haven’t caught anything larger. I can't wait to put the Luna to the test though, see if it is really worth its price. On a side note, how would the Luna 253 hold up on some local inshore fishing? Any experience?

Best Regards,

Mark

bloox8
06-11-2012, 01:02 PM
Congrats on the LCed butt! It feels good hitting anything on an LC AND a baitcaster.
I too started casting my first baitcaster sideways because it felt really natural to me. I am sure you'll be able to cast using any technique soon enough :Smile:

BTW,nice set up. Im actually thinking of getting that reel. How much did you get it for and where?

Thien

keada714
06-11-2012, 01:43 PM
Congrats on the LCed butt! It feels good hitting anything on an LC AND a baitcaster.
I too started casting my first baitcaster sideways because it felt really natural to me. I am sure you'll be able to cast using any technique soon enough :Smile:

BTW,nice set up. Im actually thinking of getting that reel. How much did you get it for and where?

Thien

Hey Thien,

It sure does feel good fooling fishes on the fake bait, especially an LC! As for the reel, I bought it off a friend for 120 + some labor (helped him swap an engine for his car). The reel itself is pretty robust. My friend isn’t too careful with his gear and dropped it countless times, but it is still mechanically sound. If you’re interested in tossing it around before getting one, you’re more than welcome to give mine a test drive!

man0fsteel
06-12-2012, 10:31 AM
Mark,

Congrats on your first LC'd halibut. Geez, I wish I was able to catch a short on my first outing. :Big Grin:

I've been fishing he surf with my trusty Shimano Calcutta 200 baitcaster...the very first one that Shimano came out with in the 90's. In May, I went to a wedding up in Santa Barbara and was planning to do a lot of fishing on my way back to LA...checking out spots I'd seen many a time but never fished. But an untimely reunion with Uncle Crown, Cousin Makers Mark, and his overseas cousin Dr. Dewars at the after party left me too foggy in the head to make the early drive on down. Then of course while packing up, I put my reel in my garment bag :Shocked: and promptly forgot I did that till just recently (thought I lost it!)

Luckily, my ex gf bought me a parting gift for my birthday, a Stradic Ci4 2500 and my buddy got me a matching St Croix rod, so I busted them out so I could have something to fish with.

Here are my observations. I think I actually 'fished' more with the spinning reel as I wasn't spending any time untangling my backlashes. But I also felt my best casts went further with the Calcutta...but this is probably just lack of skill on my part :Farmer:

More importantly, the spinning reel is a bit more prone to getting sand in it. Last weekend, while releasing a little 2 foot Leo, I set the rod down on the sand, propped up on my tackle bag. As luck would have it, a wave came up and doused my reel in sandy whitewash. That was the end of my day as sand got into the gears and it sounded like a coffee grinder :Head Bang: Being a new reel, I decided to quit and take it home to clean.

One thing that helped me with overruns/backlash is tightening the free spool tension. It will limit your casting distance but will give you some forgiveness until you get your timing down.

Greg

bachiboy
06-12-2012, 04:46 PM
More importantly, the spinning reel is a bit more prone to getting sand in it.

Not necessarily Greg. My Curado takes on a heck of a lot more sand than my Stradic. Not sure about the Luna, but I have heard that it is a bit more durable to the elements than the Curado. I got the Curado cuz it has more drag...little did I know the maintenance issues involved. No reel, baitcaster or spinner does well when dunked in the sand. :LOL:

I did a lot of research when I was choosing the Curado. The Luna was a CLOSE second. If I only intended to use it in the surf, I woulda went Luna...you made a good choice Mark. Side casting seems to work better for me too. Something about how the LC flies with the weighted bead in the tail lends itself to the sidearm. Backlashitis hits us all at some point, especially me. Keep practicing...it'll come easier as you go. A bit of advice...DON'T switch to braid! The backlashes are a LOT harder to get out...sometimes impossible without cutting it out. If you want the line capacity, back the reel with braid and use a topshot of at least 50 or so yards of mono on top. That way you won't cast out the braid or connection. Trust me...I've lost too many damned LCs experimenting with braid and short topshots. If you really get comfortable casting it, then you can make the call to switch to a full load of braid. Just remember...low stretch could lead to straightened hooks, especially with these hooks we use on LCs.

My 2˘...

Good luck!!!!
Don

keada714
06-12-2012, 10:22 PM
Not necessarily Greg. My Curado takes on a heck of a lot more sand than my Stradic. Not sure about the Luna, but I have heard that it is a bit more durable to the elements than the Curado. I got the Curado cuz it has more drag...little did I know the maintenance issues involved. No reel, baitcaster or spinner does well when dunked in the sand. :LOL:

I did a lot of research when I was choosing the Curado. The Luna was a CLOSE second. If I only intended to use it in the surf, I woulda went Luna...you made a good choice Mark. Side casting seems to work better for me too. Something about how the LC flies with the weighted bead in the tail lends itself to the sidearm. Backlashitis hits us all at some point, especially me. Keep practicing...it'll come easier as you go. A bit of advice...DON'T switch to braid! The backlashes are a LOT harder to get out...sometimes impossible without cutting it out. If you want the line capacity, back the reel with braid and use a topshot of at least 50 or so yards of mono on top. That way you won't cast out the braid or connection. Trust me...I've lost too many damned LCs experimenting with braid and short topshots. If you really get comfortable casting it, then you can make the call to switch to a full load of braid. Just remember...low stretch could lead to straightened hooks, especially with these hooks we use on LCs.

My 2˘...

Good luck!!!!
Don

Thanks for the excellent advice Don. Been playing with the ideal of putting some braid with mono topshot as you stated, but i'm going to continue to throw with mono until i feel more comfortable with casting. Looks like all I really need to do is go out and fish some more!

SP Dan
06-13-2012, 08:29 PM

My 2˘...

Good luck!!!!
Don

Hey Don....it's me Dan...sorry brotha...I had to chime in on this one sentence..........

I believe that the following is not necessarily a completely true statement:

"No reel, baitcaster or spinner does well when dunked in the sand."

Well....I happen own and use a Van Staal VS-100G "American" made...bail-less reel, which is designed to be salt and sand proof...and it also has 30 lbs of drag.....which most reels of this size...don't!

Recommended: seriously study and research these V-S reels prior to making a serious purchase! They are quite costly and the model designs have altered year by year...NOTE: there were some changes over the years which did improve the reel.

Highly Recommended....purchase the reel prior to the company being sold and before it began being manufactured in China, for this was not found to be an improvement but a disaster by most, by what I've read. There are many cons and a few pros!

I've also read comments where....V-S actually suggests that you mount the V-S reel on the rod and thread the rod eyes with your line, tie your line from the rod onto the bumper of your ol' reliable pick up truck, set the drag accordingly and have your wife hit the gas for just a short distance.....just.... to break in the drag!.... :EyePop: ha ha ha!

This spinning reel was designed for rugged salt water use! When I carry it as my back up rod n' reel, it does become completely submerged while on my side..... especially when I go hip and chest deep in the salt! I wouldn't do this with any other reel that I know of.

Also...if buried in the sand....to just vigorously rinse it off in the salt water and continue to use. :Shocked: WOW!....You don't hear that ever day!
So far...no problems at all!

Van Staal recommends that after use, to wash off with fresh water, dry and douse heavily with WD-40.....what can I say but.....it works! :Cool:

A spinning reel that is..... "salt proof" and "sand proof"!

Well...there's my :My Two Cents: I hope that some one out there will find this to be informative, as well as useful.

SP Dan <"))><

man0fsteel
06-13-2012, 10:26 PM
Hey Don....it's me Dan...sorry brotha...I had to chime on this one sentence....

Van Staal recommends that after use, to wash off with fresh water, dry and douse heavily with WD-40.....what can I say but.....it works! :Cool:

A spinning reel that is..... "salt proof" and "sand proof"!

Well...there's my :My Two Cents: I hope that some one out there will find this to be informative, as well as useful.

SP Dan <"))><

Uh...Dan? You have one of these as your **Back up** rig? :UDaMan:

That thing looks like it belongs in a modern art museum more so than on a fishing rod!

bachiboy
06-13-2012, 11:15 PM
Well....I happen own and use a Van Staal VS-100G "American" made...bail-less reel, which is designed to be salt and sand proof...and it also has 30 lbs of drag.....which most reels of this size...don't!
SP Dan <"))><

:LOL: :Embarrassed: Good point Dan! I forgot about the Van Staal's...probably cuz it's a little outta my price range...at least for a surf reel. Kinda funny, cuz I'll spend that kind of money on a two-speed for tuna fishing and use it only once a year, but can't bring myself to spend that much on a reel that I use once a weekend. Not the brightest logic. :Rolls Eyes: :Wink:

elevated
06-14-2012, 02:19 PM
"the educated thumb"

murrieta angler
06-14-2012, 04:39 PM
Nice job with your new bait caster.
I still prefer my spinning to my old shimano that I gave away and also my diawa inshore.
It's all preference though.
Thanks for the report,
Robert
<><

parkermann2
06-30-2012, 10:32 AM
i will be near long beach next week. Where is Cherry Beach?? I would like to go there

Re8elmonk0341
06-30-2012, 07:18 PM
The 253's are GREAT little reels and can handle a lot of large fish...you can't go wrong with that right therrrr :Big Grin:

DockRat
07-01-2012, 05:32 AM
Holy Mole. Those VS are big $$$$.
I think I'll pass. My Honda car cost $1500. lol

One on ebay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VAN-STAAL-VS100-VS100G-SURF-SPIN-SEA-FISHING-REEL-GOLD-/160625799630?pt=UK_SportsLeisure_Fishing_Reels_JN&hash=item25660b31ce

VAN STAAL VS100/VS100G SURF SPIN SEA FISHING REEL GOLD
Item condition: New

Approximately US $941.02