PDA

View Full Version : Native Cali Boy saying Hello from NW AR

Thoseevilsnows
06-09-2012, 06:45 PM
I am a Cali Native that found my way to Arkansas. An old friend who reads this forum turned me on to it when I was talking to him about Diamond Valley which was just under construction when I left. Sure didn’t turn out to be the lake that we were lead to believe it was going to be from my readings of it.

But he wanted me to fill some of you in on fishing Arkansas and Missouri as he said he had seen several people talking about wanting to move out here. So as a favor to a friend here goes. First be ready for a culture shock of your life. You will need to learn to slow down in everything, I loved my So-cal but can’t say I miss the 91 one bit or the fast pace. I swear I added 20 years to my life.

Next thing you will learn is the price for hunting and fishing and the seasons are cheaper and longer. Missouri Lifetime Hunt/Fish lifetime is only 600.00 and Arkansas is 1000.00 and yearlies are i think 12 to 25 or so.

Now for the Fishing, my first surprise was the cost to fish even if you do not get a lifetime talk about shock! Then came the cost to get in the lakes, most are Army Corps lakes so 4.00 for a day that includes boat or 30.00 for the yearly pass and that pass is good at all Army Corps lakes and well worth it. And then you have that little thing about the lakes being open 24/7 Boat or Shore! I about had a heart attack when I learned I could get off work at 3pm and fish till when I wanted to.

I will try and touch on a few of the lakes. Quachita as everyone hears about and it’s striper and is a good lake and gets the press probably because of how close it is to Little Rock. But Beaver IMO is a much better Lake. Beavers Stripers run from 1 to 50 pounds with the schoolies being 10 to 12pnds. Walleye are taking off in beaver and its well known for its Wipers and Whites. Bass it has Kentucky, Smallmouth and Blacks but expect your average bass to be 2 to 3 pounds at most and a 6 pounder a trophy class.

Tablerock is well known for its Bass and its been producing a good number of 6 and 7 pound bass, it has a good number of crappie and white bass to keep you busy. But its secret is the Stripers and Walleye! Very few people talk about it and for good reason the walleye are LARGE! The largest I have witnessed is 16.5 pnds and the average is 3 to 5 with many over 6 caught. The Stripers are not stocked but come over from Beaver Lake in flood years. They can be targeted but like Musky takes a lot of time to get one. The Arkansas State Record came from Beaver Tail Waters which are part of Tablerock.

Next on the list of the White River Chain is Taneycomo! If you love trout and big trout this is a lake you have to try. Brown trout over 20 pounds are very possible and in the teens are a yearly thing in October. I always dreamed of catching a 10pnd brown when I lived in Cali and spent a lot of time at Silverwood trying. My first year here I landed 6 from 10 to 18. Its Rainbow trout fishery is just as impressive with 20’’ plus fish a daily thing if you put in some time.

After Taney you have Bull Shoals, I don’t know of to many people who haven’t heard of Bull and its Bass and its monster stripers. But Bull is becoming more of a walleye lake than anything else IMO now. If you were one of those guys looking to move out here the Border areas of Arkansas and Missouri are some of the best fishing waters I have ever been to freshwater wise!

I miss Perris and Skinner and certainly miss the Salton Sea and her Corvina. But I sure do not miss the traffic stress or cost. So if you are looking to move out here I suggest being ready for the culture shock and when people wave to you its simply because they are that friendly.

gavin310
06-10-2012, 05:49 AM
Wow you should be on the tourism board for those states. Really sounds appealing. Thanks for sharing!

Thoseevilsnows
06-10-2012, 03:20 PM
I dont know about tourist Board lol. But sure is a diffrent place to live and hunt and fish. A vacation that turned in to a new place to live and kinda like being able to do it without going broke. I read a lot of the threads on Diamond Valley and just shake my head at all the grief you guys go through just to fish it. I feel luck y to be able to be fishing in minutes from my house and catch fish like these almost any day of the week. So hear is a small sample of average days on Beaver Lake which is only 5 minutes from my house.

One thing I still love though is reading about the inovations and inventions in fishing from Cali,

jeepnkal
06-10-2012, 04:09 PM
My great uncle lives on Bull Shoals and I cant wait to take a fishing trip there some time. He does live in the sticks though and when you need to go to the store you had better stock up because its 45 minutes to the closest store. Thanks for the info.

Thoseevilsnows
06-10-2012, 05:55 PM
Bull; is a massive lake so depends on where he lives as to what you could do if you stay with him. My suggestion would be stay in Branson ( not on the strip or in town ) but at one of the Landings on Taneycomo, the prices will be better and you will have Taneycomo to fish on and the main strip for shows and dinner is only about 10 minutes away. Upper Bull is only 30 minutes away and Tablerock is 10 to 30 minutes depending on what landing you stay at. If you stay in Branson get the Missouri License with trout tag and the White River Boarder lake that will allow you to fish Bull, Tablerock and Taneycomo. Dont expect much out of the BASSPRO in Branson we all call it the Baby Basspro, but 35 minutes ( my driving lol )and you can be at the Big Grand daddy Basspro in Springfield.

If you do that and like fly fishing bring a 2 to 4wt rod except in Oct and Nov then i would have a 7wt for sure for the big browns on taney. for the lakes any of the bass gear will be fine. My favorite bait year round is Keitech 4'' swim baits on 1/4oz jig heads dang things catch everything from 2pnd crappie to 40pnd stripers. Line I just use 10 and 12lb floro.

HawgZWylde
06-10-2012, 07:22 PM
One of those guys was probably me. I have fond memories growing up and going to visit relatives in Missouri every year. My father was born in and grew up in Essex and Dexter. I still have family in Cape, Springfield, and Kansas City. I also have family in Memphis. In a year, our youngest will finish middle school and we are seriously considering moving somewhere around Springfield. All of my family has left Cali. My parents are now in Minnesota with my younger sister and her family, but the winters up there are just too dang cold. Lol, it might as well be the North Pole to this weather spoiled so cal native. But the fishing is off the charts. Road trips will become the norm as of course, I'd have to fish both states and everything in between lol. Thanks for this post, I'm going to have to show it to my wife (a Minnesota gal). It'll help allay her fears of moving away and not knowing anyone. And you are correct, get away from the megalopolises like Cali and people are very friendly. That's a culture shock I'm more than ready for. Again, thanks for posting this...

ghost2uu
06-10-2012, 07:50 PM
I made it to Lake Ouachita, Hamilton, and Catherine for the first time in December. Then I went back for a week in April. Going again for a week this December. Awesome fishing and great people. On our third day my first striper of the morning weighed 42 pounds. About 25 minutes later I landed a 45 pounder. The next day we got four 30 pounders. The place rocks.

Thoseevilsnows
06-10-2012, 08:35 PM
HawgZ; The area around Springfield has reallllllly grown, Housing prices are not bad at all and depends on where you look just like anywhere else. MDOT has been doing a lot of work on the interstates so getting around is pretty simple now. That area is more flatlander so you will not have the hills and driving them daily to worry about. Work wise I tell my friends who keep moving out here from Cal and Fl that the only reason we have unemployment is construction and snow dont mix and there are just some people who thing they are to good for hard work. Im in construction and see people getting jobs daily.

If you have google earth on your computer go (Google earth KMZ) Download it and you will be shocked how many places are with full maps and information about Missouri Hunting and fishing. If you are interested in a Fishing Forum designed for the area KS, MO, AR, OK go to Ozarkanglersfrorm.com.

For your wife I know how they worry about schools and ease of getting places. First thing is remember the tax rates cheaper here so you get more for your buck, as far as school. They are top notch and many of the kids still work farms or after school jobs so the influance on other kids is pretty strong about responcibility and work ethic and low crime rate. The shopping unless you go to one of the real small towns is pretty much like Cali. I suggest though hitting the farmers markets as often as possible for the fresh stuff. Where you are looking at you have Bransons big Shopping centers and Springfield. Alot of people wait till the week before school starts to take advantage of the TAX FREE holiday. Winters are not to bad we get some snow but MDOT is on it fast.

Ghost;Awesome fish and thats a great time of year if you like hunting waterfowl do a Cast n Blast trip. Its something we do a lot of here. I dont know if the guides down there do it but its fun. Be ready for some monster stripers in December its typically when i Hit the 40 and 50 pound fish. If you havent visited the Hatchery you really need to. AGFC AND MDC both have hatchery programs that are unreal. If DFG ever came and saw how these two states manage the fisheries they would hang their heads in shame. Several of the lakes actually have hatcheries on them to aid the offsite hatcheries. You may also want to book a trip In October with a Beaver Guide the Fish are trying to go upriver to spawn and seeing 30pnd stripers boiling is insane reminded me of Yellowtail that found some sardines.

Also bring a fly pole nothing like a 20 to 40lb striper on a fly on surface

trail blazer
06-16-2012, 11:56 AM
WOW!!!!

Now im homesick,,,,,corpus christy area for me,,,,,,,,,been here in cali for 25yrs.

Family in littlerock and up by texhoma on the tx side.

GREAT post,,,THANKS!

O,YA,,,,,,,,,,,,Bad news,,,,The corvina are gone,,TOO much salts in the lake<fertiliser>,,,,salton sea has tons a tilapia and no predators to keep there #s down..

Some say there not but its all just rumors,,,fact is that the last 1 was cought abought 6 or 7 yrs ago and none seen since,,,SUCKS TOO!

Thoseevilsnows
06-17-2012, 08:39 AM
WOW!!!!

O,YA,,,,,,,,,,,,Bad news,,,,The corvina are gone,,TOO much salts in the lake<fertiliser>,,,,salton sea has tons a tilapia and no predators to keep there #s down..

Some say there not but its all just rumors,,,fact is that the last 1 was cought abought 6 or 7 yrs ago and none seen since,,,SUCKS TOO!,

Man I hate to hear that. I have a lot of pictures growing up with my family with large corvina. Heck the first Canada Goose I ever shot was while corvina fishing off Johnson street off hwy 111. Sad to hear for sure, when I left cali there was a lot of talk about building desal plants and so on to try and fix it. I guess like a lot of things in Cali it was all talk.