PDA

View Full Version : Perris Panfish 06-08-12

vortec_cruiser
06-08-2012, 03:48 PM
I went out to Perris this morning, getting there about 6:20 A.M. I was the only person there in the parking lot on the Bernasconi side of the lake. I was anxious to try out my new HotSpot fins. This was my first trip to the lake since last year, so I was surprised to see the higher water level. There's lots of bushes out in the water now for fish to breed and hide in. After unloading my tube from its carrier, I got all my battle accouterments ready and headed out for some action.

The first thing that was very apparent was the missing 5 MPH buoy line. With nothing to control the speeders near shore, these people have absolutely no regard for the fisherman in the float tube. :Bug Eyes: One particular ski boat sped by within 50' of me, and had breaking waves rolling into my tube. And the guy didn't even have a spotter in the boat for his skier. But I guess with no patrol boat ever visiting the east side of the lake, it's hard to enforce any lake rules.

I fished until noon, and wound up with about twenty, which were all safely released to fight another day. I didn't catch any big fish, the largest ones being 8" long. Although I was constantly throwing lures - silver and gold Super Dupers & a silver F-5 Rapala, I couldn't get even one hit. All fish were caught on crickets. There's still eight escapees crawling around somewhere on my tube, that old fumble-fingers couldn't hold onto.

Water temperature was warm and air temperature was hot. No wind at all.

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r229/luvtnt/1339163204723-1.jpg

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r229/luvtnt/fish1.jpg

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r229/luvtnt/fish2.jpg

Troutcz swimbait
06-08-2012, 04:00 PM
Nice fish and tube set up.

VIVID_FLY
06-08-2012, 04:04 PM
Long time no see at the PUDD. Nice catches ... 8 inch are big, well to us fly guys.

vortec_cruiser
06-08-2012, 04:06 PM
Nice fish and tube set up.

Thanks. I put up a better picture of the tube setup.

Kelster
06-08-2012, 04:08 PM
Nice job, yea w/o the buoys it gets pretty hairy out there.

vortec_cruiser
06-08-2012, 04:10 PM
Long time no see at the PUDD. Nice catches ... 8 inch are big, well to us fly guys.

Yeah, I guess they are nice size. And they did put up commendable fights.
I haven't been to Puddingstone for quite some time. I'll have to get over there to meet up with old acquaintances. :Smile:

old pudd fisher
06-08-2012, 06:27 PM
Thanks vortec and nice pics.

fishmounter
06-08-2012, 07:37 PM
Very nice Ed. Sorry I could not join you today. Did you stay in the Bernasconi area? I caught more fish and got more strikes (double hook-ups too) farther up the lake. About a 35 minute kick. How did you like those fins?

Cartman
06-08-2012, 08:23 PM
You got some beautiful fish, Ed. Some great fishing, and no wind! The absence of the buoy line sounds worrisome. Isn't that a trout magnet sticking out of one of those fish mouths?

vortec_cruiser
06-09-2012, 12:16 PM
Very nice Ed. Sorry I could not join you today. Did you stay in the Bernasconi area? I caught more fish and got more strikes (double hook-ups too) farther up the lake. About a 35 minute kick. How did you like those fins?

Yes, Jeff, I did stay around the launch area. I'm glad I didn't go farther up the lake, since I got really bad leg cramps just as I was kicking back to the ramp. I'm not sure if it was new fins or old legs. :Rolls Eyes:

vortec_cruiser
06-09-2012, 12:20 PM
You got some beautiful fish, Ed. Some great fishing, and no wind! The absence of the buoy line sounds worrisome. Isn't that a trout magnet sticking out of one of those fish mouths?

Hi, Jon. They're supposed to replace the buoy line, but who knows when that will be. You're right about the Trout Magnet, almost. It's a Trout Magnet jig head, but was baited with a cricket.

fishmounter
06-09-2012, 04:47 PM
Yeah Ed, I got a really bad "Charlie Horse" cramp in the back of my right thigh as I was almost at the old road. I could not stand up for a while to get out of the water. To help avoid getting leg cramps, they say to drink lots of water, eat bananas for the potassium, and to stretch and exercise before going out. I do all those things, but still get the occasional. really bad cramp(s) in my legs and sometimes my feet.
As for the buoy line, They might still be there in place, just underwater because of the much higher water level..

Cartman
06-09-2012, 09:10 PM
Ed, what do you have on the port side of your tube to hold all those rods?

vortec_cruiser
06-10-2012, 11:32 PM
Ed, what do you have on the port side of your tube to hold all those rods?

Jon, that's a port side rod holder. :LOL:

Seriously, it's a variation of this setup: http://fishinglakes.com/advanced_float_tube_rigging.htm