PDA

View Full Version : Da' Special of Redondo 1/2 AM trip 6/6/12

Ifishtoolittle
06-06-2012, 11:04 PM
Hello and good day to ya my fellow anglers. Are you all ready for another one of IF2L's famous reports? (LOL in my mind they're pretty damn famous and badass, but I don't know about you guys)

Okay, let's begin.

I just finished my final that I had spent the whole last half week preparing for. And incase if you're wondering I aced it! Yeah buddy! Alright enough of that, now let me get to the real report.

Today was the first time that I have EVER fished on the Special, and it certainly WILL NOT be my last as the boat is very efficient, and the captain and crew really know their stuff.

The morning started off with the boat leaving the harbor at around 0730 and quickly motored to the "secret spot", in fact it's so secretive that only 2 dozen other PBers, the Del Mar, and Spitfire know about it.:ROFL: When we arrived, we, the anglers, whacked away at the flats with live and fresh dead squid on 6ft dropper loops, 5/0-7/0 hooks, and 6oz torpedos. Throughout the morning every angler on board was attacked by the horrendous amount of Sand dabs on the bottom while a few hooked up on the desirable species. For the three hours that was spent there a regular by the name of Miles landed a 40lb Butt'; but I'd say that it was more like 30lbs. Another hooked into what was very likely a solid white sea bass and another landed a bat ray.

Later, after spending the majority of the trip at the "secret spot" the captain decided to the end that last hour and a half at Rocky Point at one his top notch rockfish spots, and it was top notch. At this spot I had solid rockfish bites on every drop with nearly each drop producing fish. All in all I landed 8 Reds in the 1lb-4lb class, a bunch of starries, and my limit and then some of the oh so very endangered Boccaccio.:LOL: Oh and might I add that I over limited after in about 45 minutes. That's just to give you all a perspective of how wide open the bite was. Alright guys, there's my grammatically flawed report. I hope you were able to sort through my wonderful engrish.

I think there was about 13 anglers on board including myself. So here's the fish count posted on the site': 130 red snapper. :ROFL: I don't know about a 130 red snapper, but there we probably raked in over a 100 assorted sized rockfish ranging from your finger size to 5lbs.

http://i661.photobucket.com/albums/uu337/Ifishtoolittle/DSCF4792.jpg
Here's the Butt' it was sitting in the frontal bait tank and if you've ever been on the Special you can get a perspective on how big this guy was.

http://i661.photobucket.com/albums/uu337/Ifishtoolittle/DSCF4795.jpg
A little perspective for you guys.

http://i661.photobucket.com/albums/uu337/Ifishtoolittle/DSCF4799.jpg
Here's Ryan cutting away at the slabs of meat.

http://i661.photobucket.com/albums/uu337/Ifishtoolittle/DSCF4796.jpg
Success!

http://i661.photobucket.com/albums/uu337/Ifishtoolittle/DSCF4801.jpg
Dinner for a week.

-IF2L

superbigfish
06-07-2012, 01:07 AM
Nice catches. Don't eat all those rock fish in a week. Next time, release the larger halibuts.

DockRat
06-07-2012, 06:00 AM
Nice Halibut. I saw the boats off Manhattan and thought they were on Cuda ?

Next time, release the larger halibuts.
Why ?
Halibut population is fine.
DR

JapanRon
06-07-2012, 09:55 AM
Hi Ifishtoolittle,

Excellent job all around. Nice very flat fish !!

Thanks,

JapanRon

christainmetalhead909
06-07-2012, 10:04 AM
yummy fish!!!! that was a nice hali!!! i want one!!!! haha thanks for the report!!

4g63power
06-07-2012, 10:34 AM
nice! i was out there tuesday morning on the special. you guys had a much better day. lets just say i won jp with a barely legal calico and i still feel sick from those swells.

Jig-Guy
06-07-2012, 02:49 PM
Good report and pictures, thank you! You folk's did great on the catch and will have lot's of fine dinner's. I could go for some Halibut steak's myself.
TL
Jig-Guy

Ifishtoolittle
06-07-2012, 11:27 PM
Nice catches. Don't eat all those rock fish in a week. Next time, release the larger halibuts.

I actually gave away half of the rockfish to friends and family and ate about 3 just right now. Oh and don't worry about releasing the larger halibuts. Those barndoors don't always bite. It's hit or miss fishing man.

Nice Halibut. I saw the boats off Manhattan and thought they were on Cuda ?

DR

DR, I have no idea about the Cuda'.

Hi Ifishtoolittle,

Excellent job all around. Nice very flat fish !!

Thanks,

JapanRon

Thank you JapanRon.

nice! i was out there tuesday morning on the special. you guys had a much better day. lets just say i won jp with a barely legal calico and i still feel sick from those swells.

Yeah I heard the boat had some really poor counts on tuesday. Oh I'm still feeling the swells right now. :LOL:

Good report and pictures, thank you! You folk's did great on the catch and will have lot's of fine dinner's. I could go for some Halibut steak's myself.
TL
Jig-Guy

Thank you Jig-Guy. Yeah some Hali- steaks sound pretty good too.