PDA

View Full Version : I went to San Antonio today for a while. 6/4

plumbertom
06-04-2012, 06:57 PM
I looked at the forecast last night and it said 20% rain maybe. Thought it would be cloudy so the stripers might be up on top. No such luck. Clear and bright all morning and when the clouds finally started to cover up the sun about noon, that wind came up and blew me off the lake. No stripers but I did catch and release a few nice small mouths.

Lost the hold down lug for my down rigger so I was unable to use it today. I'll have to make one because all the parts places say it's no longer available.
Not exactly rocketry engineering. If I'd of had a hack saw with me I could have made one out a bracket and thumb screw I had on the boat.

joejoe77
06-05-2012, 10:35 AM
At least you caught. I hit up Naci on Sunday and got skunked. Really hurt my pride. But it was really hot. Hoping to get out to San Antonio end of June. Still havent been ou tthere this year.

trail blazer
06-05-2012, 02:17 PM
Great job on yet another s/ton recon TOM!

Next week il be giving it a try,,,,,,,,dont know exactly when but next week for sure,,,il pm and maby we can try both ends of the lake that day and find them wherever there hiding.

Have you heard of any boils recently?

TRAIL BLAZER

taylor31
06-05-2012, 02:44 PM
I've been up there a lot the past couple weeks, and had the same results as you. I have the 16-24th off and will do at least one night trip during the week to try to catch the late and super early grey light bites.

plumbertom
06-05-2012, 06:49 PM
Seen one small boil yesterday right at the mouth of that little cove on the north shore next to the dam.
In truth I think it was all small mouths cause that's all I caught out of it.

taylor31
06-05-2012, 09:52 PM
That is still a good sign

cutbait
06-06-2012, 05:56 AM
Nice report.

IMO though were in summer time and I wouldn't touch that downrigger till december

Coming from a guy who has never touched one, but logic dictates if the fish are up top in June???? See what I mean?

plumbertom
06-09-2012, 11:23 AM
The way I see it, stripers might start the day up top but when that sun gets really bright they are gonna drop down to that 40' or so level where the light is more comfortable for them.
That's not just speculation, I see it on my FF.
Right now the idea is to get used to using the down rigger even if it ain't needed.
That don't mean I'm only trolling deep I usually troll with two rods out and one I run my best plugs on it for fishing the top of the water column.

cutbait
06-09-2012, 02:24 PM
Acknowledged Tom...

Mid day at the tone is a biotch for sure

trail blazer
06-10-2012, 08:26 AM
What do you think CUTBAIT?????

This coming thursday at S/TONE??????

Barring any unforseen stuff lets be there!ooooooooOOOOOOOOYAAAAAAAAAAA!

ANY BODY ELSE THERE THAT DAY??????????

TRAIL BLAZER

plumbertom
06-10-2012, 08:49 AM
FYI
6/14/2012

Sun Data
Rise: 5:41 AM
Set: 8:06 PM

Day Length
14 hrs. 25 mins.

Moon Data
Rise: 2:18 AM
Set: 4:01 PM
Overhead: 9:07 AM
Underfoot: 9:30 PM

Moon Phase
Solunar Table Moon Phase is 20% percent waning crescent
20%
Waning
Crescent

Major Times
9:07 AM - 11:07 AM
9:30 PM - 11:30 PM

Minor Times
2:18 AM - 3:18 AM
4:01 PM - 5:01 PM

Solunar Rating

Average

trail blazer
06-10-2012, 08:58 AM
NICE!!!!

Thanks p/tom,,,,,,,,,,,you going to be there?

we,l be launching at the n,shore ramp<bako boy boat ramp> as soon as they open,,,6am i guess?

staying till cutbait starts whinning ! or 20 fish are in the boat,,

Hope to see ya there,,,let us know

plumbertom
06-10-2012, 09:17 AM
I'll give it some thought.
I usually launch from Harris Creek as south shore is a shorter drive.
And I tend to fish the deep end of the lake more than the shallows.
Either way I hope to see your report of a lot of stripers in the boat.

cutbait
06-10-2012, 09:19 AM
FYI
6/14/2012

Sun Data
Rise: 5:41 AM
Set: 8:06 PM

Day Length
14 hrs. 25 mins.

Moon Data
Rise: 2:18 AM
Set: 4:01 PM
Overhead: 9:07 AM
Underfoot: 9:30 PM

Moon Phase
Solunar Table Moon Phase is 20% percent waning crescent
20%
Waning
Crescent

Major Times
9:07 AM - 11:07 AM
9:30 PM - 11:30 PM

Minor Times
2:18 AM - 3:18 AM
4:01 PM - 5:01 PM

Solunar Rating

Average

With all due respect Tom,,, {sounds like a broken record} There is a member on the board I don't agree with about a lot, but the one thing I do agree with him on is all that data just leads to excuses.

Fog layers, wind chill, wind blown banks,, etc. etc.

I firmly believe its time on the water and if the fish wanna chew they wanna chew.

JUST GO FISHIN!!

Bako boys will be there armed with down riggers, alabama rigs, trolling flies, planer boards, dip net, P-line, Kpn's, Jim Beam, Smoked Tuna and 70 years combined fishing experience all on the 14 foot striper junkie burning all of 4 gallons of fuel for the entire day!

Hope to see some fellow FNN"ers there.... Bob said he was going but wouldn't dare show up the day the Bako Boys roll in.. {he learned his lesson}

trail blazer
06-10-2012, 09:28 AM
YEP,,,,,,,,,,,,,cant wait!

plumbertom
06-10-2012, 09:50 AM
There are a lot of factors that figure into whether or not you hit the good bite. My opinion is any information is better than no information.
I used to fish S.A. regular when I lived here 20 years ago and you could fish by the soluner tables that used to be published in WON and hit the best bite of the day when they said it would be.
As far as excuses go, Why would you need them? No matter how good you are (or think you are), if the fish don't co-operate you ain't gonna catch them.

joejoe77
06-10-2012, 09:55 AM
If it isnt too much trouble, Id really appreciate a report after you guys go out there on Thursday. Going out there Saturday and staying till Sunday. I am not armed with the gear or experience you guys got. But Ive been reading all of the tips you guys throw up on here and hoping for the best. Dont even have a fish finder, but really hoping to catch my first SA Striper. Rolling with an A Rig on one pole and some topwater on the other. Gonna try my hand at trolling slow like Tom said. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks alot guys,
Joe

cutbait
06-10-2012, 11:11 AM
if the fish don't co-operate you ain't gonna catch them.

Thats my point..

I just don't think the stripers check the lunar tables, and barometeric pressure before they go and look for shad.

plumbertom
06-13-2012, 08:22 PM
Gave it a bit of thought and I think I'm Gonna shoot for Friday instead.
Looks like it's gonna be a bit on the windy side tomorrow. Says 11-14 mph after the morning calm.
Pretty calm projected for all day Fri.