PDA

View Full Version : cats

reelgurlzfish
06-04-2012, 12:46 PM
i am new to catching catfish and have no idea how to prep or cook them so i have been releasing them. i would love to keep some. any input would be greatly appreciated!

wrestlefish
06-04-2012, 12:52 PM
i am new to catching catfish and have no idea how to prep or cook them so i have been releasing them. i would love to keep some. any input would be greatly appreciated!

When i was a kid growing up we used to felet them and cut them in nuggets. Then we would use this recipe. (close to family recipe) .

http://www.food.com/recipe/kens-beer-batter-fried-catfish-368319

Mobydick
06-04-2012, 01:07 PM
Catfish is one of the best tasting freshwater fish. Boil some hot water and pour it over the fish in order to remove the slime. After you remove the slime, it'll be much easier to handle. You can cook it anyway you want and it'll still taste good.

CATFISH-PREDATOR
06-04-2012, 02:05 PM
cook them in oil, quick and easy! or make a soup out of it, very good!

Fysher
06-04-2012, 03:08 PM
Steam with soysauce, sugar, ginger and green onions

Cut into 1/2 - 1" steak and fry with Louisiana catfish season

Sweet and sour hot pot

There's so much you can do with catfish, try looking up some recipes on google.

Picture of steamed catfish, simple and fast.

http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb369/dr3am3r143/IMAG0973.jpg

DynoDan
06-04-2012, 08:59 PM
If you filet it soak it over night in buttermilk and Cheyenne pepper. Then fry it, q it grill it whatever works!

reelgurlzfish
06-08-2012, 09:56 PM
thanks everyone for the awesome ideas!

smokehound
06-09-2012, 02:34 PM
Get some corn flakes and potato chips, and crush them up, add whatever seasonings you like, I enjoy black pepper, Mrs Dash Garlic Herb seasoning, and a bit of geniune Chipotlé.. Grind the seasoning too, it helps.

Set that aside and Get yourself some Pancake Mix and add a bit of water, not too thin, not too thick, it should slowly run off the spoon. I prefer Krusteaz buttermilk pancake mix.

When finished blending the pancake mix, put it in the fridge.

Fill the frying pan with oil, enough to cover at the fish at LEAST Half-way. The more, the better, however it will take longer to heat up.

Preheat the oil on LOW heat (important!) and let it take a while to heat up. Dont get impatient and put the heat on full blast then turn it down, you will ruin your fish.

Flick some water in it, and once it pops, you're ready.

Remove the batter from the fridge and dip the fillets in, then roll them in the corn chip/ potato chip mix, and toss them in. Do two at a time, it will help prevent scorching.

It will take a while, around 4 minutes on each side. You'll enjoy this method, nice good crunchy outside, with a hearty moist inner breading.

Place them on paper towels to drain.

Cartman
06-09-2012, 08:50 PM
Pancake mix? Very interesting.

DarkShadow
06-11-2012, 02:10 PM
Steam with soysauce, sugar, ginger and green onions

Cut into 1/2 - 1" steak and fry with Louisiana catfish season

Sweet and sour hot pot

There's so much you can do with catfish, try looking up some recipes on google.

Picture of steamed catfish, simple and fast.

http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb369/dr3am3r143/IMAG0973.jpg

Is that an eyeball?

Fysher
06-11-2012, 02:25 PM
Is that an eyeball?

haha yes it is