PDA

View Full Version : Laguna lake 6-2-12

mjc89
06-03-2012, 08:50 PM
Went to laguna lake yesterday afternoon for some catfish. My brother and i were going to be working in the area so we took our rods and bait to fish after work. We got there around 4:30pm and we fished till 8:30pm. A few minutes after we got there my brother got a bite and he set the hook. It was a nice 2# catfish. After that it was pretty dead and nothing was biting. So we decided to move to another spot. After about a half hour i get a bite and land another 2# cat. It was starting to get dark and we were getting more bites but they were short bites. We lost a few while bringing them in due to all the grass in the water. It went wide open one it was dark and we ended up landing 9 cats. We released 5 cats and kept 4 because they were gut hooked and started bleeding. It was a pretty fun night.

Carptain_Bao
06-03-2012, 08:56 PM
Nice looking cats,good job!

novel44
06-03-2012, 09:31 PM
they look yummy.

Thank for the report

TUNAVIC
06-03-2012, 10:09 PM
Now that you got em,what do you do with them,prep and cooking? I really never target them because I don't know how to clean and cook em,do you filet em,skin em,steak em,fry em,bake em,grill em,if I knew how to prepare em I might target them.
I have eaten them before and enjoyed them,but I was just there for the end product,breaded fried and accompanied by some adult beverages.
Thanks for the info,and good job on the catching!

Cya Tuna Vic

vanillagurilla
06-04-2012, 04:31 PM
There tricky to filet but that's what I do, there rib bones move to the outside close to the skin but if you have decent knife skills you shouldnt have to many problems. I like a little sturdier of a knife then a filet knife when it comes to the ribs as they are pretty strong and hard to cut. After I get the filet I cut it into chunks then roll in corn meal and fry. Cornmeal stays crunchier then traditional flower breading.

mjc89
06-04-2012, 10:55 PM
Now that you got em,what do you do with them,prep and cooking? I really never target them because I don't know how to clean and cook em,do you filet em,skin em,steak em,fry em,bake em,grill em,if I knew how to prepare em I might target them.
I have eaten them before and enjoyed them,but I was just there for the end product,breaded fried and accompanied by some adult beverages.
Thanks for the info,and good job on the catching!

Cya Tuna Vic

I give most of my fish away. I do keep some too and when i do i fillet the big ones and leave the little ones whole with no head. I like them fried or in a soup. You can make them any way you want. If your going to fillet them you dont have to gut them but if you want them whole you do. The easiest way to get rid of the slime is to spray vinegar on then. You let it sit for a while and then run the knife and remove the slime. Then rinse it off with water and if it still has slime you can spray some more vinegar on it but the vinegar will change the color of the skin.

Sir.Snags.A.Lot
06-05-2012, 02:58 PM
What were you using bro? I have been there lately and I havent really gotten a nibble. Been in my hot spot too.

etucker1959
06-05-2012, 05:43 PM
Where is your hot spot? I was there last night everybody around me and including myself all caught catfish. Did you go before Fri? Also did you fish in the daytime or in the evenings?

mjc89
06-05-2012, 10:53 PM
What were you using bro? I have been there lately and I havent really gotten a nibble. Been in my hot spot too.

Shrimp, chicken livers, hotdogs.

smokehound
06-05-2012, 11:29 PM
I like to batter my catfish before rolling it in a breading..

So far my favorite breading is Corn Flakes mixed with Krispy saltines..

I tried using instant cornbread mix as a breading, it was epic