PDA

View Full Version : Castaic Saturday 6/2/12 Striper Killin!

Shock
06-03-2012, 07:50 PM
Decided last minute Friday to hit a lake and hunt down some Stripers!!

It's been a while since Ive been able to get out to the lakes so ive been itching to troll.

Called up Jesse to see if he was down to kill some stripers. We were thinking about hitting SA or Pyramid. SA would have been a recon trip but we were down to give it a try until old man Bob called me back on the water a Castaic. He tells me he was killing it then ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzz "hold on Joseph" lmao, Thanks Bob you made up my mind!!

I haven't hit Castaic in a long while.. Now I have a love, hate relationship with Castaic. She can be really mean to me at times, but very generous other times. So I was excited to get back there. I was on the Castaic Lake website and saw how full it was, this should be fun as I haven't fished it this full before, and I can remember a few years back when she was way low..

Hit the lake and on the water by 6:00am dropped the lines and headed for C Point. no wind, not cold, and water temps on 72%...Damn I missed this lake!

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s119/Shock1420/6288aa9c.jpg

Trolled along metering fish near the bouy near C Point, no takers, headed on past C Point, trolled along that bank ten turned back around and headed up the fish arm. Metered a few here and there then just before the first cove, hawks nest?, we're on!! Guests First!!

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s119/Shock1420/b7a3c494.jpg

After a brief battle and stellar net job we land a nice one, skunks off!!! First Castaic Stripey Kill of the year!

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s119/Shock1420/efeb0d11.jpg

Circled back over that bank and get tagged but no go, one more time and zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz..My turn...Must be it's twin..

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s119/Shock1420/249e950a.jpg

So lets go again, no takers so continue on and troll through the cove nothing even on the meter, headed on and just about to Trout Point...zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz,zzzzzzzzzzzzz... Another same size, SweeeeT, no dinks! We circled back around for another one!!! Nice, 4 killed already! Tried that bank a couple more times and nothin so we continued on an on through old ss, nothing then right after the main point hookup, FARM job....oh well, so we circled back and hookup again, I told Jesse go ahead we wont count farm jobs. He lands it and its bigger then the others, about 4lbs...We're fishing no so didnt snap many pics.

So on the next pass I screwed up my pattern and got too close, zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz, damn got a snag. so I pick up the rod and, no im not snagged, but no fight just a steady pull....Get it in and its the wrong one...Almost killed it but decided to cut it a break, save some room in my cooler....Nice Green bycatch, had some weight to it...

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s119/Shock1420/985ccbb1.jpg

We continued on and just before Dry Gulch my side gets Slammed, grabbed the rod an we decided green carp dont count either so still my turn! This one put on a better fight, didnt wanna die I guess. Get it in and its just shy of 6lb!!, actually my PB Castaic stripey on the troll.

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s119/Shock1420/40e9c82f.jpg

Is now 9:45, so we head on and back up the other side. Metered fish here and there, but no takers until we get to the restroom before eucalyptus point then Zzzzzzzzzzzzzz we get slammed again and Jesse brings in about a 5lber. We circled back and no go, so we head on towards eucalyptus... Ths has always been my favorite point troll so I was getting excited....get around it and not a fsh on the meter, fine i'll come back later.

We troll on back up the fsh arm, past c point and continued up the ski arm. The bite died completly by now but we kept on and on, and just a ways to the bouy line we hookup again!!! Nice, never got one in that area on the troll...We circled back a few times for only a couple short strikes so we decide to head back down the ski arm. Nothing so we docked at th e west ramp to stretch and hit the restroom. Its about 2:30.

We decide to head back to the marina and troll the fish arm starting from there. We got all the way back to Elizabeth Canyon for nothing so we high tail it back to troll eucalyptus point. Nothing. Earlier we had metered fish from hawks nest to trout point so we decide to hit that area before we head in. Good choice we picked up 2 more and had a few more short strikes then decided to head in for the day.

Ended the day with 8 striper for fish tacos.

We had a great day on the water, and it was nice to get back on the troll. Saw Ron out there, good seeing ya!

Water temps ranged from 72-75. Also, noticed all the signs for the coves have been repainted recently, sweet!

See ya on the water!

CAPT'N
06-03-2012, 08:49 PM
Good job Joseph!

Looks like you had a nice productive day.

Capt'n

Thebake
06-04-2012, 11:22 AM
How deep were they? I don't have down riggers. Just some heavy flys and normal cranks. Help?

Shock
06-04-2012, 11:54 AM
How deep were they? I don't have down riggers. Just some heavy flys and normal cranks. Help?

I don't have down riggers either, I just flat line them....If you fish Castaic and Pyramid often, I would suggest you get on a trip with Troutonly. He will show you the ropes and would be well worth the $$$$ spent.

Hitts0n
06-04-2012, 03:06 PM
Great job out there Shock ! So far out of the hand full of stiper reports ive seen/read.....not really any real small
dinks are being pulled out.At the night fishing I seen 4-6 lbs being pulled out from shore.I'll be out there this week.
I will go hard on this lake all season long! I have to hit over the 20lb maker! Tanks for the report bro!
Its been a while !! Real Xplicit actions proven by you and your fishing partner there !!

Thebake
06-04-2012, 03:21 PM
I don't have down riggers either, I just flat line them....If you fish Castaic and Pyramid often, I would suggest you get on a trip with Troutonly. He will show you the ropes and would be well worth the $$$$ spent.

Thanks, sounds like a great idea. Might just have to do that.

TroutOnly
06-04-2012, 03:22 PM
GGGGGGRRRRRRRRREEEEEEEEENNNNNNNNNNNCCCCCCAAAARRRRR RPPPPPPPPPP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,,,,,dont you hate it joe when they happen,good to see you got a chance to fish,,,,,,,,,,bob,,,,,,,,,,