PDA

View Full Version : Need help chosing fishing location

berdjmk
08-21-2007, 10:36 PM
Hello everybody, im a very new fisherman and i wanted to plan a fishing trip soon to a pier and i just wanted to get some advice. I live in Glendale so the closest pier to me is Santa Monica. I dont want to drive to far off but i want to know where is a good place to fish right now. Also i would like to know what type of fish there is in those areas and what bait to use.

Thank you

rusty6
08-21-2007, 10:49 PM
lots of bonito are showing up at the huntington, balboa and newport piers

CoffeaRobusta
08-22-2007, 12:59 PM
Never fished Santa Monica pier. I have mixed luck at Seal beach and Huntington. Generally with pier fishing you get croakers and surf species close to shore on mussles, and shrimp and mackerel, bonito farther out with cut fish or lures. Check out this webiste for pier fishing:

http://www.pierfishing.com/resources/index.php?id=piers:santa_monica_pier

DavidE
08-22-2007, 03:59 PM
I've probably had the best luck at Seal Beach Pier. Wide variety of fish depending where you fish.

By Ruby's I've seen some big halibut come in and also some large spotfin. Closer to the surf lots of yellowfin and BSP.

The best scenery though is definetly at Huntington!!

tjfisher77
08-22-2007, 05:17 PM
Santa Monica, Redondo, Hermosa, and Manhatten piers are all swarming with macks and bonita in the afternoon. Always fun if you just wanna go out and fish with the light tackle. Try small to medium krocs or those sabiki rigs with multiple hooks. Good luck

CoffeaRobusta
08-22-2007, 05:44 PM
I've probably had the best luck at Seal Beach Pier. Wide variety of fish depending where you fish.

By Ruby's I've seen some big halibut come in and also some large spotfin. Closer to the surf lots of yellowfin and BSP.

The best scenery though is definetly at Huntington!!

Oh yeah....i'll second that. So long as my GF doesn't figure why i like to fish HB even if I don't catch anything. :twisted:

berdjmk
08-23-2007, 09:20 AM
thank you all for the advice. So assuming i go to eighther long beach or santa monica, what type of line, weight, hook and bait should i use.

spitbreaker
08-23-2007, 03:00 PM
i go ahead chose redondo beach pier, i did really good over there afternoon and night with sabiki rig and glow stik that attract at night.
cheap on weekday $7.50 and weekend $10.50 parking near structure keeping the car out burn sun.

bones
08-23-2007, 08:03 PM
There is a good spot to surf fish just north of SM pier by the Jetty....SHHHHHH!

I wouldn't eat anything out of SM bay though :twisted:

Too much poop and diapers in the water!

Use squid,sardines,anchovies,mussles or sandcrabs if you are the bait and wait guy. Small artificials for the perch and croakers especially gulp sand worms on a carolina rig.Soft shell sand crabs are also the go to bait for corbina and perch.

Good luck 8)

berdjmk
08-29-2007, 06:22 PM
ok i decided to go to long beach. I want to just drop the bait down from the pier, i am not trying to catch a trophy fish, even the tiny ones will satisfy me for now :P i just want to catch something lol