PDA

View Full Version : pointers from the northern S.W.A.T. crew

Lucky Lager
06-02-2012, 09:47 PM
my buddy & i had planned a trip to the coast for today, but he ended up being called in to work. and since i already had clearance from the wife...i figured i should still make the trip...even if it was solo :)
i hit the sand around 0530, welcomed by the delux salad bar. my lure got fouled on every cast. not what i like to see after making the long trip, but at least i'm fishing :)
a nearby flyfisherman was having some luck. he landed a few perch, farmed a SNGF & landed a nice bean while i was around him.
i decided to take a break from the salad bar & checked my phone. found out that Bill (which way out), Mike (exfactor) & mike's friend George were also out fishing, just a few miles from me....so, i asked if they would mind if i joined them.
i packed up, headed out & met up with them...only to find them feasting on the same salad bar i had been. we stuck it out for a bit, but decided to relocate....then relocate again...then agin.
we finally found a fishable spot, suited up & started wetting our lines. the bite started off slow, with a few perch here and there. i stuck what i thought was kelp, but then it started peeling drag & heading west....for a few seconds, then came unbuttoned. a little while later, i was wondering what my mystery fish could have been, then BAM....same thing all over again. drag peel for a few seconds, them my LC comes flying out of the water at my head. "dammit! that's twice! i want some butts!!"
i didn't have to wait long to find out the identity of my mystery fish, because Bill started putting on a SNGF clinic, starting off with a 40"ish, then 2 more slightly smaller models. i'm not sure if any of them were taped out?
action shot
Mike was there to lend a hand every step of the way
the next 2
here's a vid of the largest

http://youtu.be/mfe4vtzoI5k
there were several perch mixed in, but i didn't take any pics.
overall, the fishing & conditions weren't great, but i personally had a great time. thanks for having me along guys, it was great to talk techniqe & tips. if you guys are ever up my way, give me a call & we'll go after some line sides! :)
i'm a bit burned out after the drive home, so feel free to add anything i've missed in the report

Which Way Out
06-03-2012, 03:38 AM
Good morning Jim. I know what you mean about being burnt out. I stayed awake till 9:30 pm so I could sleep and get up early this morning and do it again.

It was great to have you with us. We hit water that I have never fished and now know a couple new locations. One of the perks of having a Fishing Yoda nearby.
Thanks also for taking the photos and video. Sure I wish we had all caught something more interesting than SN, but overall I think we all had a good time.

Till next time.
WWO

ps Good Luck on the Job prospect.

efishent
06-03-2012, 09:22 PM
Thank you for report and the visuals. Good times in the surf; that stretch is a common hangout with SNGF. IN winter in a clear water day I've seen the bottom carpeted with them with few rays and leos in the mix. I too think that there should be good habitat fo halis but an extra LCs with unstraightened hooks is good to have in the big SN territory. Hope you find clean conditions next time, all that stuff has to settle sooner or later...

bachiboy
06-04-2012, 11:08 AM
It's funny how we get so locked in on the targeted species that we (myself definitely included) forget that those dang pesky SNGF actually pull harder than most the butts we get. Then there are the days that we beg for anything, SN included, when we're desperate to get the stripe off our backs. :LOL: Chalk it up to part of our 'illness' or 'disease' we've contracted. :Wink: Great work out there! Thanks for the report, picts and video. Sounds like good times.

Don

Wingnut
06-05-2012, 12:07 PM
Jim, you're learning from the Fishing Yoda himself, Mikey is a wealth of knowledge. :Big Grin:
And Bill is his uncoachable protege. Sorry Bill, lol :Big Smile:

Those Shovelnose can really pull. :Twisted:

Lucky Lager
06-06-2012, 07:20 AM
Jim, you're learning from the Fishing Yoda himself, Mikey is a wealth of knowledge. :Big Grin:
And Bill is his uncoachable protege. Sorry Bill, lol :Big Smile:

Those Shovelnose can really pull. :Twisted:

Yes sir, I was soaking up as much as I could that day. I would have fished most of the spots we visited, but Mike's spidey sence kept us searching for better conditions, and we found them.
I'm still learning & love meeting up with experienced guys & appreciate their lessons :)