PDA

View Full Version : Legal with a side of salad

efishent
06-01-2012, 04:41 PM
Intro:
Earlier in the week I approached seagulls near water edge that refused to move. When I saw what they were up to I also stood there looking down for a minute or so. It was a ‘freshly dead’ hali about 40”, it changed color a bit and did not feel as firm as a live one.
It was in a back of my mind since and with water temps getting up a bit from a recent dip and disappearing surf I made a quick run during/instead of lunch to test the action.

Action:
Well, the diagnosis on my fish camera was “get a new one, there is no hope”. So it was just me and the LC with 2 double and one treble hook – still returning salad on every cast. I was not bothered by this since the swell was so calm that I could clean the hooks uninterrupted standing firmly on the bottom.
The clarity was decent and I was just admiring the trough searching for few ‘clean’ cranks every time. On one of those clean casts I hang a fish that identified itself with headshakes. I responded with affirmative head shakes myself and worked it very gently with no drag noises In about 1 ft of water it started running and I couldn’t find an assist wave to land it– the conditions were as flat as the fish itself. I just refused to force it and finally got a set to beach the hali, hooked barely with one of double hooks in the lip. It measured at 23.5”, - another legal for the start of summer, released back with a massive tail splash that made me rub my polarized glasses for a while.
Called it a session at that as the tide was dropping. I wouldn’t be surprised to see another cold water stretch here but these warmer days with some fog and minimal wind are becoming more consistent.
Have fun out there during the weekend.

SP Dan
06-01-2012, 07:01 PM
Hi ya efishent,

Congrat's on the legal Hali! :Thumbs Up:
Thanx for the head shaking fish report! :Wink: ha ha ha!

SP Dan <"))><

Which Way Out
06-01-2012, 09:33 PM
Hi ya efishent,

Congrat's on the legal Hali! :Thumbs Up:
Thanx for the head shaking fish report! :Wink: ha ha ha!

SP Dan <"))><
Good one Dan.

efishent, Great work getting the fish in conditions like that. I despise the salad, well unless there's some bacon with it.....:Razz:

I have had the same conditions here with maybe a bit more swell. It looks to good to not have fish. I spent 6 hours on Tues for nothing, so I commend you on your catch.:Applause:

Lucky Lager
06-02-2012, 03:09 AM
Good one Dan.

efishent, Great work getting the fish in conditions like that. I despise the salad, well unless there's some bacon with it.....:Razz:

I have had the same conditions here with maybe a bit more swell. It looks to good to not have fish. I spent 6 hours on Tues for nothing, so I commend you on your catch.:Applause:

Nice work efishent.

WWO, I'm headed up your way...hope I don't repeat your 6hr skunk!! haha

efishent
06-02-2012, 10:12 AM
Thanks WWO amd LL, hope you got out today and found some action: the surf forecast was way off on wave size and the conditions look even better for fishing than yestarday.
I should have brought my long rod instead of long board this am. There were a few guys in the area with their LCs hanging out and some dangling their rods..

efishent
06-02-2012, 10:15 AM
Thanks SP Dan, you can feel very connected with the fish if you can synchronize the headshakes..

murrieta angler
06-02-2012, 11:10 AM
Nice job with the lagal flatty.
Thanks for the short report,
Robert
<><

Which Way Out
06-02-2012, 03:11 PM
Thanks WWO amd LL, hope you got out today and found some action: the surf forecast was way off on wave size and the conditions look even better for fishing than yestarday.
I should have brought my long rod instead of long board this am. There were a few guys in the area with their LCs hanging out and some dangling their rods..

Yep we got out today, I'll Let Jim aka LL tell the story and add my comments.
WWO