PDA

View Full Version : My first time fly fishing @ Peck today

white belt
05-31-2012, 05:33 PM
Got skunked :LOL: late start because we had to get the baby all ready, but still fun. Took out my scientific angler set and practiced my casts. The baby fish were attacking it but they couldn't take the hook. They were so aggressive though. I saw a humming bird flying right on top of the water and the fish were jumping out after it like flying carp. Fish were feeding the whole time I was there from 830-11 but I couldn't cast out beyond them.

How do I keep my fly from coiling back when I cast? I had more distance going side arm, which was weird. It is cool to see what color insects are out and use a matching fly. A more proactive type of fishing, I like :Cool:

As for flies, should I start with an Adams fly? And what's a good size, 14 or 16? Thanks guys. Grasshopper needs to learn the ways of the fly from you masters :LOL::Worship:

Fishnfun
05-31-2012, 06:38 PM
Peck is where I practiced my fly casting when I was starting. The thing about Peck is that there are not that many open fishable spots, especially when trying to fly cast. Were you at the open area just downhill and to the right of the parking lot? The hares ear fly has been a reliable winner at Pudd. Both with and without a bead head work. Use size 16 for the tiny guys. Otherwise, use a size 14. After you get in your forward casting practice, also practice your roll casting. Roll casting is very useful when casting room is limited. Not sure what you mean when you say your fly is coiling back when you cast. Is it coiling during the cast or after it lands in the water? Fly fishing is a blast. So, keep practicing.

The Fishing Queen
05-31-2012, 07:22 PM
White belt, I like to catch those little guys with a size 16 fly. If I fish with a dry fly, I let it sink a little just under the surface, so I can see my fly being chased by the fish. If I fish with wet BH fly, I do a very slow retrieve, sometimes pause and go, the panfish like to be teased. I use the Adams fly in the mountain lakes, Hare's Ear (with or without the bead) in local lakes. Hare's Ear works great at the Pudd.

bassfishing24/7
05-31-2012, 08:00 PM
U should have went to either legg or pudd,the pan Fish seem to have disappeared from Peck...

white belt
05-31-2012, 10:41 PM
Peck is where I practiced my fly casting when I was starting. The thing about Peck is that there are not that many open fishable spots, especially when trying to fly cast. Were you at the open area just downhill and to the right of the parking lot? The hares ear fly has been a reliable winner at Pudd. Both with and without a bead head work. Use size 16 for the tiny guys. Otherwise, use a size 14. After you get in your forward casting practice, also practice your roll casting. Roll casting is very useful when casting room is limited. Not sure what you mean when you say your fly is coiling back when you cast. Is it coiling during the cast or after it lands in the water? Fly fishing is a blast. So, keep practicing.

My fly lands in the same area as my backing. The tippet coils, instead of being straight for Max distance. The DVD had roll casting in it so I'll check it out.

White belt, I like to catch those little guys with a size 16 fly. If I fish with a dry fly, I let it sink a little just under the surface, so I can see my fly being chased by the fish. If I fish with wet BH fly, I do a very slow retrieve, sometimes pause and go, the panfish like to be teased. I use the Adams fly in the mountain lakes, Hare's Ear (with or without the bead) in local lakes. Hare's Ear works great at the Pudd.

Is a dozen for $7 a good price for hare's ear flies?

U should have went to either legg or pudd,the pan Fish seem to have disappeared from Peck...

I think I'm gonna try Legg next cause you're right, the panfish bite was way better last year. Water levels have been very low since they are cleaning up maybe that's why?

Thank you guys for responding I can't wait to practice again.

The Fishing Queen
06-01-2012, 12:07 AM
Is a dozen for $7 a good price for hare's ear flies?

yes, I used to pay $1.95 each.

aperez3523
06-01-2012, 12:31 AM
Thanks for the report white belt! How do you like the Scientific Angler fly rod so far? I've been looking at a few of the cheaper options to get started on fly fishing myself and I was actually looking at that one or the Pflueger combo.

Fishnfun
06-01-2012, 06:37 AM
My fly lands in the same area as my backing. The tippet coils, instead of being straight for Max distance. The DVD had roll casting in it so I'll check it out.

The line/leader/tippet tends to pick up coils while stored on the reel or spool. Before casting, stretch out your line by pulling between both hands. Do same with your leader and tippet if necessary. This will take some of the coil out of your set up. Try casting a fly that has a small bead head. The little added weight of the bead head fly at the end of your tippet will help straighten out your line at the end of a cast.

smokinflies
06-01-2012, 06:41 AM
...My fly lands in the same area as my backing. The tippet coils, instead of being straight for Max distance. The DVD had roll casting in it so I'll check it out...

Can't really analyze your casting problem without seeing it, but it sounds like your not pausing during the backcast or it could be that you're forcing the line onto the water.

white belt
06-01-2012, 07:24 AM
yes, I used to pay $1.95 each.

Great I'm ordering then, thanks!

Thanks for the report white belt! How do you like the Scientific Angler fly rod so far? I've been looking at a few of the cheaper options to get started on fly fishing myself and I was actually looking at that one or the Pflueger combo.

For starters, it works. The line does get caught on the reel at times because the frame isn't screwed tightly but a little super glue fixes it. The 3 flies it came with aren't great, but the DVD is informative.

The line/leader/tippet tends to pick up coils while stored on the reel or spool. Before casting, stretch out your line by pulling between both hands. Do same with your leader and tippet if necessary. This will take some of the coil out of your set up. Try casting a fly that has a small bead head. The little added weight of the bead head fly at the end of your tippet will help straighten out your line at the end of a cast.

Will try stretching line and bead heads, thank you fishnfun!

Can't really analyze your casting problem without seeing it, but it sounds like your not pausing during the backcast or it could be that you're forcing the line onto the water.

Forcing the line sounds like what I'm doing... should the back cast be slower than the forward or equal?

smokinflies
06-01-2012, 09:14 PM
...Forcing the line sounds like what I'm doing... should the back cast be slower than the forward or equal?...

Forward and back cast should be the same, but you gotta remember to pause after each casts to let the line fully extend before bringing it back/forward. The more line you cast the longer the pause. Plus your arm should never go below 2-o-clock/10-o-clock position and your elbow should be parallel with your shoulder when casting.

It's a little difficult to explain.

If your still having trouble, hit me up and I'll give you a quick crash course on casting.

Carptain_Bao
06-01-2012, 09:36 PM
Good try at peck white belt! it's good to know you started fly fishing also, maybe we can try to practice together someday.

white belt
06-02-2012, 01:01 AM
Thanks guys, i'm going to try and get to Legg some time next week I'll let you guys know.