PDA

View Full Version : El Oso Grande May 24-28

Fresh H2O Bill
05-29-2012, 09:32 AM
Got up to Big Bear for the long weekend for a little R and R and a little (very little) work on the house. Thursday afternoon I fished the dam (south side) for one 18" trout. He hit yellow garlic on a 28" leader.

Friday morning I awoke to very breezy conditions. The main lake was white capped by 8:00 a.m. It was total VAS. I took my float tube to Boulder Bay hoping to find some protected conditions. It wasn't bad and was managable most of the morning. I fished to mid-morning targeting only the bass. I was able scratch out 4 bass 12"-15". They were in about 8'-12' of water and were taken on 6" Robos in Folkstad Special and Morning Dawn colors.

Saturday morning I woke to a nice light dusting of snow and the wind was howling from the get-go so I headed to Boulder and fished the dock. Not a whole lot of action for me there, threw PB, eggs, and NC's for no love. I did see a couple of bullheads, 1 carp, and 1 crappie taken. Packed up and headed over to Juniper Point to finish out the morning session. The inside of the point was somewhat protected and there wasn't anyone at a couple of the spots. I fished for about 2 hours for 1 small trout on a NC floated 4' below a pegged slip bobber. R and R'ed the little guy.

Sunday morning was still beezy but the wind settled down by mid-morning. I met a good friend at Juniper and we fished until 10:00ish for one small trout. I Caught it on yellow garic on a 24" leader. We moved over to the east ramp area fishing from shore. I was floating a NC 18"-24" below a fixed bobber and nailed a nice 1-1/2 lb LMB. C and R'ed him. That was it for the fishing on Sunday. Went back to the house and did some minor scraping and painting on the deck rails. Later, my wife and I went over to the East Ramp area and did the nice walk on the bike path trail. Great views and a nice walk. If you haven't done it I suggest it. Really nice as it meanders through the forest all the while having a view of the lake.

Monday morning I woke to still winds and a beautiful morning. Took the tube over to the Observatory and targeted the bass again. Five minutes in I hang the 1st of 6 bass for the morning. Nothing big, all in the 15" range. One thing about the BB bass, they all seem to be nice footballs and they pull nicely. I fished both sides of the jetty and the drop area in front of the Obsevatory point. All bass were caught on Robos in Folkstad Special, Morning Dawn, and Bold Bluegill colors. I fished them on a mojo rig with a 12"-18" leader. All bass were C and R'ed. After I had been out for 1-1/2 hours or so a bass boat pulled up on the drop. They set up in about 12'-14' of water and after a bit they started to hammer the crappie. Really nice crappie with the biggest ones going close to 1lb. They invited me over to share in the fun so I did. I ended up catching 32 total crappie and kept 9 of the bigger models for my in-laws. I was using a white/chartruese Trout Magnet jig and just bouncing it off of the bottom. Great way to end the weekend!

Sorry guys, no pics this time.

Tight lines,

Bill

Matthew 4:19

FKNChristopH
05-29-2012, 09:50 AM
Really good report! Way to slay the slabs.

*shakka*

FishermanStu
05-29-2012, 07:34 PM
duuude you shoulda grabbed one of the secret worms... taken your crappie slayage to a whole new level