PDA

View Full Version : *** 30 inch Hali! YezzZir!! - Cherry Beach <Long Beach> / 22.5 @ Cabrillo Beach

Aka_UpPZz_There's_One!
05-28-2012, 01:41 PM
Got up at 6am with fishing on my mind... check the tides --- low tide it is. Grabbed my rod and set out to cherry beach in Long Beach. Started around 7am using my Lucky Craft and didn't get any bites an hour into fishing. There was another fisherman out there as well, both of us werent having any luck. Around 8am i had to put money in the parking meter, so i headed back to do so. On my way back to the surf, teh older gentlemen decide to pack up, but i stuck it out. Around 8:20am, prior to the peak of low tide... I hooked up with a Monster 30inch Hali! My first 30 incher :Big Grin:

May 19, 2012

A few buddies and I were Kayaking Cabrillo Beach for the first time and I hooked up with a 22.5 inch Hali. Unfortunately, during all teh excitement out getn it in and taking pictures, my rod disappeared. :Sad: SMH

BabyKiller
05-28-2012, 02:08 PM
sweeeetttttt fieeeesssshhhh

iLLest
05-28-2012, 02:12 PM
nice job man

Nipple Twister
05-28-2012, 02:40 PM
Oh man, sorry about the rod......but nice feesh........way to stick it out........

bachiboy
05-28-2012, 03:30 PM
Man, bummer that you lost the rod, but that is one helluva fish. Congrats!!!

Re8elmonk0341
05-28-2012, 04:30 PM
Sucks about the rod...making a leash for it is very easy and can be done at home. On other hand, great job on he 30"er and for sticking it out!

Which Way Out
05-28-2012, 05:48 PM
Dude how big are you? You just told the fish to get on the beach right...LOL

Very nice fish and thanks for sharing the story even though the lost of the rod is a bummer.

WWO

Aka_UpPZz_There's_One!
05-28-2012, 06:01 PM
Dude how big are you? You just told the fish to get on the beach right...LOL

Very nice fish and thanks for sharing the story even though the lost of the rod is a bummer.

WWO

Lol I'm 6'1 202lbs haha! Thx for viewing guys... This is my first time posting btw. I like this site. Hopefully more fish to come.

SP Dan
05-28-2012, 07:36 PM
Welcome to the FNN site Aka_UpPZz_There's_One! :Wink:

Now that's one beautiful 30" Hali! WTG!! :Thumbs Up:
Really sorry to hear about the loss of your equipment :Sad:, definitely consider a leash for the future.

Thanx for the fun fish report with pic's and I will be looking forward to more of your reports! :Cool:

SP Dan <"))><

fishshep
05-28-2012, 09:22 PM
Must have fished that stretch 20 times in the last three months

for a skunk there, :Rolls Eyes: and you pull in a legal :Shocked: :LOL::LOL:

Congrats. anyways :Big Grin:

Mischief
05-28-2012, 10:02 PM
Nice flattie, sorry you lost your rod,.. gotta make rod leashes!

jerryG
05-28-2012, 10:30 PM
Way to go congrats on the 30"! I kayak fish as well. Sorry to hear about your rod.. I added my first kayak to my tackle arsenal in 99 and I have had rods fall off the yak get pulled off by fish or getting hung on the bottom while drifting. I have had rods fall off the yak on hard surf landings/ launches. I have even dropped a rod or two over the side but through it all I have never lost a rod. When I started kayaking a friend gave me some excellent advice that saved me a lot of grief and money. His advice was when kayak fishing leash it or loose it. I have seen many rods lost by others and all I can say is leash everything and loose nothing. Keep the pressure on those halibut.

JerryG

DockRat
05-29-2012, 05:24 AM
On a roll. WTG and Welcome to FNN.
DR

Wingnut
05-29-2012, 09:52 AM
Welcome to FNN and congrats on a very nice Hali. :Thumbs Up: :Envious:

Aka_UpPZz_There's_One!
05-29-2012, 09:45 PM
Must have fished that stretch 20 times in the last three months

for a skunk there, :Rolls Eyes: and you pull in a legal :Shocked: :LOL::LOL:

Congrats. anyways :Big Grin:

Lol. yea I've had a few of those days. But I usually catch 1-2 shorties at least when fishing there. Since switching to lucky craft(3-4 weeks ago), I've been getting bigger fish 18-22 :). I usually fish the elbow part near the rocks on Shortline and ocean blvd. I just stick with it.

Aka_UpPZz_There's_One!
05-29-2012, 11:08 PM
Way to go congrats on the 30"! I kayak fish as well. Sorry to hear about your rod.. I added my first kayak to my tackle arsenal in 99 and I have had rods fall off the yak get pulled off by fish or getting hung on the bottom while drifting. I have had rods fall off the yak on hard surf landings/ launches. I have even dropped a rod or two over the side but through it all I have never lost a rod. When I started kayaking a friend gave me some excellent advice that saved me a lot of grief and money. His advice was when kayak fishing leash it or loose it. I have seen many rods lost by others and all I can say is leash everything and loose nothing. Keep the pressure on those halibut.

JerryG

Most definitely getting a leash or making one. That was my fav rod that o had since high school. Lot of memories. And Actually my first Abu Garcia combo. All good though. I learned from my mistake.

murrieta angler
05-31-2012, 10:52 AM
Great looking Flatty...:Smile:
Too bad about the rod/reel combo.
What type LC were you using?
Most of us use the 110 from the surf, but since you are yaking are you using at least a 100 for deeper diving?!?
Thanks,
Robert
<><

Aka_UpPZz_There's_One!
05-31-2012, 08:32 PM
Great looking Flatty...:Smile:
Too bad about the rod/reel combo.
What type LC were you using?
Most of us use the 110 from the surf, but since you are yaking are you using at least a 100 for deeper diving?!?
Thanks,
Robert
<><

actually, the 30in was caught from the surf... Using a LC (2-4ft deep type). The 22.5 was caught jigging a gulp lure along the bottom with a lead head from the kayak.

bloox8
06-02-2012, 03:46 PM
Nice man!!

I saw this post a few days ago and was driven to catch one this week! Unfortunately I had no luck but I am still pursuing!

Keep it up!