PDA

View Full Version : First trip to an aqueduct?

fishermanx14
05-27-2012, 10:22 PM
Hey guys, i will be going to my uncles next weekend in hesperia and want to find some stripers. I have a baitcaster and a couple top waters but my uncle is more of a bait and wait guy. what type of setup should i have rods, reels, and line. And what type of rig? What do you think is he most productive duct in the hesperia area for bait and wait stripers? We also love fishing for bluegill too, so any tips on panfish would also be appreciated

Thanks,
Christian

fishinarteest
05-27-2012, 10:36 PM
Never caught a whole lot of stripers out of the duct and never fished the hesperia area.But i do know that you should bring some medium heavy rods, with at least 12lb test(I like berkely big game line). Ive caught stripers out of the duct on anchovies and on rat l traps, shad wraps, things like that. Caught a few on swimbaits. But if your uncle is a bait and wait guy I caught some duct stripers on a anchovie. as a matter a fact 10 years ago on my 2nd or 3rd trip out to the duct i caught my first duct striper on anchovie. fish different spots of the duct. Don't hook anything on the first spot, after 15-30mins go to another spot until you find a good spot. One last piece of info, don't be mad if you dont catch anything. skunking is the nature of the duct and i often tell newbies who are dissapointed after there 1st or 2nd trip out there that there will be loads of skunks. But man when you do catch a fish its worth it. Or you might catch a fish your first time out and have a great time, I personally love fishing the duct because it has like its own little method to fishing it succesfully. anyway good luck out there.

fishermanx14
05-27-2012, 11:12 PM
thanks for the info, are catfish good in the duct too?

fishinarteest
05-27-2012, 11:20 PM
catfish are excellent in the duct. but it depends on what time you go. fishing the duct is best in the evening or morning. and you have to switch spots often until you get fish. From what i have heard though hesperia area of the duct isn't the best producing spot.

fishermanx14
05-27-2012, 11:25 PM
thanks again ill let you know how i do, if you could fish anywhere in the duct where would you go?

ZipperWurm
05-27-2012, 11:59 PM
thanks for the info, are catfish good in the duct too?

yes, the catfish are plentiful and fairly easy to catch....a tub of chicken liver is all you should need...

thanks again ill let you know how i do, if you could fish anywhere in the duct where would you go?

bakersfield...lol

fishermanx14
05-28-2012, 12:47 AM
i wish i had that much gas

M@M
05-30-2012, 02:07 PM
The last part of the duct .... off Santa Fe Rd..1/2 mi past the Hesperia airport..... you'll see a small fenced area with cement cylinders... get ready to turn.... take a left on the paved rd....follow it to the end, park... I know of three DD stripers caught in this area in the last few years...... they don't come easy......seems more catfish.....good luck out there. Looking forward to your report.