PDA

View Full Version : Adventures at Legg Lake, or Maybe I am getting Better (5/26)

zenmic
05-27-2012, 01:19 AM
I tried hitting Legg Lake today a little after 2pm. Heard that the middle lake was good for panfish. I parked in the lot right off of Rosemead and walked over to the middle lake then started fishing the area closes to the highway. Lots of weeds in the water and places that I thought would be good places for the fish to hide. I did see one or two bluegills swimming around close to shore and several pollywogs coming to the surface for air. Set one pole out for catfish (heard that they put some in last week) and broke out the fly rod. The pole for catfish was baited with chicken liver, and set with a 5.5' leader to a bobber, and that never even reached bottom, so I just took the bobber off and tried the line with the bait on the bottom with a bell on the rod. I had a simple beadhead nymph with a slender red body on the fly rod. Too many trees around, so it was all roll-casting, with a slow retrieve. (Incidentally what is the general definition of a slow retrieve around here? I am retrieving maybe 12" a second and a half, with a half second pause to move my finger. Is that still too fast?) I manage one beautiful crappie, about 6" long on the nymph. Since moving out here, I have forgotten how much of a fight those little crappie can give. (I do miss the South during crappie spawn season:Sad:). I guess that means I beat the skunk, but that was the only fish the whole day. I had no other hits, bites, nada. I decided to not use any strike indicators and that makes casting easier. The pole rigged for catfish had nothing, nary a bite or nibble. I did see some huge carp jump a few times there, and even a turtle or two minding its own business. However, those guys just were not interested in anything I was throwing.

I guess I am getting better at catching fish on a fly rod, but I am still not sure if the bites are skill, or dumb luck.

I let the lone crappie go to grow another day.

Thisfool
05-27-2012, 07:04 PM
hey hows it going wtg on the crappie.

for me that is a lil bit of a fast retrieve. i would cut that retrieve speed by at least half. i like to let it sink really good and give it a bit of a jig bring it in a few inches then give it a bit more of a jig.

they say bass get smart from fishing pressure and well i believe that but i would have to say as far as legg lake goes even the pan fish are really smart.

TUNAVIC
05-27-2012, 07:59 PM
Nice going,for Legg Lake that one crappie was pretty good,as you said better than a skunk!Sorry can't give you any flyfishn tips,but I'm sure some other guys will.

Cya Tuna Vic

smokinflies
05-28-2012, 11:41 AM
Yup, you're retrieve is too fast if you're chasing gills. Don't forget presentation too.

zenmic
05-29-2012, 12:41 AM
Thanks for the advice I will slow my retrieve down to at least half speed and may go slower.

The Fishing Queen
05-29-2012, 06:54 AM
Zenmic, one crappie is better than nothing. I agree with 'Thisfool' that your retrieve speed was little fast for the panfish. I would use this method on bass. For panfish you need give them a little time to check out your fly and bite. I would jig the fly to tease the fish between the slow retrieving, some panfish will become aggressive and start to chase the fly and bite.