PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here know how to make homemade fertilizer?

Armofisher818
05-24-2012, 05:28 PM
Hey guys and gals, the kids wanted to plant pumpkins so i planted a couple seeds of big max ( grows to 100 lbs!) and itll be ready in four months. To make em grow that big i need some fertilizer, i cant bring back a big bag of fertilizer with a bike and i have no ride so anyne know of any good way to make your own? You know with stuff that can be found right at home? I searched on google and everyone is trying to sell their own or sell their book about how their fertilizer made their watermelons grow 50 lbs!!!! Caugh caugh BULLSHEET! Thanks for the help.

trail blazer
05-24-2012, 05:48 PM
DOG HAIR/COFFEE GROUNDS/EGG SHELLS.

BURRY A LITTLE UNDER EACH PLANTS ROOTS ABOUGHT A FOOT AROUND,,,,,,,,,The more egg shells the better for calcium,,,,,,,grind it up as fine as possible

Dont go to heavy on the grounds,,,,,,,,,,,,the grounds will stabilise the ph so that the plant can pick up and metabilise as much water and nutrients as it needs,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

HINT,,

Most people over feed there plants,,,,,,,,,,DONT DO THAT!

T/B

old pudd fisher
05-24-2012, 09:00 PM
Try to catch some carp and dig em in the ground...And lots of them. 100 lb's for sure in four months !! It will be a fun Halloween for the kids.

Ifishtoolittle
05-24-2012, 09:02 PM
Check back with me in one week. I'll have 10lbs ready for you.

white belt
05-24-2012, 09:33 PM
I second the egg shells and coffee grounds. You can also compost with redworms then mix that into the soil.

Armofisher818
05-24-2012, 10:07 PM
Check back with me in one week. I'll have 10lbs ready for you.

Lmfaoooooooooo

Armofisher818
05-24-2012, 10:08 PM
DOG HAIR/COFFEE GROUNDS/EGG SHELLS.

BURRY A LITTLE UNDER EACH PLANTS ROOTS ABOUGHT A FOOT AROUND,,,,,,,,,The more egg shells the better for calcium,,,,,,,grind it up as fine as possible

Dont go to heavy on the grounds,,,,,,,,,,,,the grounds will stabilise the ph so that the plant can pick up and metabilise as much water and nutrients as it needs,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

HINT,,

Most people over feed there plants,,,,,,,,,,DONT DO THAT!

T/B

Thanks i just hammered down a two egg shells and buried it around the seed hope they work! Ill try to keep that in mind i have a couple plants ill do tests on em.

Armofisher818
05-24-2012, 10:12 PM
Try to catch some carp and dig em in the ground...And lots of them. 100 lb's for sure in four months !! It will be a fun Halloween for the kids.
And i know just the place to catch em :) it wont stink up the backyard would it? My parents would kill me if they saw me cutting fish and digging up the ground to put it in, they think fishing is stupid already. Thanks the kids or hyped up about it too. I can use mackeral too right?

Armofisher818
05-24-2012, 10:13 PM
I second the egg shells and coffee grounds. You can also compost with redworms then mix that into the soil.
Some guy on cl always sells compost worms but i dont think theyll be live if he ships them..... Worth a try though. I remember some guy made millions doing that.

Skyler
05-25-2012, 09:25 AM
I'm going bowfishing on Saturday. Do you want some carp?

DarkShadow
05-25-2012, 09:59 AM
So apparently carp do have a use.

Now, i've tried burying the entire carcass into the ground as fertilizer and all I got was all the hood's alley cats staging MMA bouts in the backyard, trying to dig it up. Are you supposed to grind it up or something?

Or do I just have an abnormal amount of alley cats living in my hood?

smokehound
05-25-2012, 10:16 AM
Just heavily dilute your Urine with water, best fertilizer you could get.

Before anyone scoffs at this, most commercial chemical fertilizers you get have urea as the main ingredient, so it's not very different.

Epsom Salt is a form of magnesium readily absorbed by plants.

Coca Cola is a good source of phosphorous, but like urine, dilute this heavily, or else you'll burn your plants with salt.

Grass clippings break down quickly and are a good source of nitrogen (of course you dont need this if you use urine)

Burying fish is a good way to encourage skunks, coyotes, bears, dogs, and cats to dig your backyard up.

white belt
05-25-2012, 10:23 AM
Some guy on cl always sells compost worms but i dont think theyll be live if he ships them..... Worth a try though. I remember some guy made millions doing that.

Whenever I have extra from a fishing outing I just throw then in a bin with some fruit n veggie scraps and they do the rest. Every couple weeks I mix in oatmeal and water. I got some fat *** crawlers in there too haha

DarkShadow
05-25-2012, 10:50 AM
Burying fish is a good way to encourage skunks, coyotes, bears, dogs, and cats to dig your backyard up.

To combat this, I've purchased a Honey Badger do keep these animals at bay.

HBAR
05-25-2012, 10:51 AM
Afisher becareful what you "search" for on the net, someone might think your taliban or something, that was funny you can't carry it on your bike.

Armofisher818
05-25-2012, 11:37 AM
Just heavily dilute your Urine with water, best fertilizer you could get.

Before anyone scoffs at this, most commercial chemical fertilizers you get have urea as the main ingredient, so it's not very different.

Epsom Salt is a form of magnesium readily absorbed by plants.

Coca Cola is a good source of phosphorous, but like urine, dilute this heavily, or else you'll burn your plants with salt.

Grass clippings break down quickly and are a good source of nitrogen (of course you dont need this if you use urine)

You do know your stuff huh, now how do i mix my pee with water wuthout looking crazy:Rolls Eyes:

Whenever I have extra from a fishing outing I just throw then in a bin with some fruit n veggie scraps and they do the rest. Every couple weeks I mix in oatmeal and water. I got some fat *** crawlers in there too haha
I rarely ever use worms for fishing but if i find someone that sells em locally i really wanna try composting with them. So you just feed em table scraps?

Afisher becareful what you "search" for on the net, someone might think your taliban or something, that was funny you can't carry it on your bike.
why would someone think im a taliban? I know i rather just make my own fertilizer than buy it from the store even if i have a bike.

white belt
05-25-2012, 12:17 PM
The sports chalet redworms are pretty healthy (all my worms were from SC) and yea just scraps. Old banana peels, apple cores, spoiled veggies, etc. Just bury it under the dirt and cover them with a damp newspaper or something.

Armofisher818
05-25-2012, 12:28 PM
The sports chalet redworms are pretty healthy (all my worms were from SC) and yea just scraps. Old banana peels, apple cores, spoiled veggies, etc. Just bury it under the dirt and cover them with a damp newspaper or something.

Cool and the dirt thats in there is compost in a couple weeks? Would something like a 5 gal bucket or fish tank work?

WARRIORMIKE
05-26-2012, 07:35 AM

I got worms!

http://i1234.photobucket.com/albums/ff404/mikesphotos77/carrey_dumber.jpg

tacklejunkie
05-26-2012, 08:39 AM
I have shipped some very delicate "Idolomantis Diabolica" from Poland before which tok a few weeks.
If they can make it, your worms from a local guy on Craigslist should have no issues..
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff280/tacklejunkie/5112097-md.jpg

tacklejunkie
05-26-2012, 08:39 AM
Honey Badger

Oh no, not you too

tacklejunkie
05-26-2012, 08:43 AM
PS you guys have to use Bat Guano for dirt Fertz. Lemons for PH adjustment.
Egg shells for calcium. Limes for something else I think..forgot.

white belt
05-26-2012, 09:26 AM
Cool and the dirt thats in there is compost in a couple weeks? Would something like a 5 gal bucket or fish tank work?

A clear acrylic tank is what I use but make sure no light hits the bottom. I keep mine covered and in the garage.