PDA

View Full Version : Salton Sea Tilapia biting time

cklovetofish
05-24-2012, 07:33 AM
Does any one know what time the Tilapia starts biting? The last time we were there, 3-4 years ago, the fish does not bite until 2 PM and we were there at 6 AM. I didn't want to do that again, waiting.
Any info would be appreciated.

Viejo
05-24-2012, 07:59 AM
Does any one know what time the Tilapia starts biting? The last time we were there, 3-4 years ago, the fish does not bite until 2 PM and we were there at 6 AM. I didn't want to do that again, waiting.

I would my appointment to catch fish on the stinky waters of the Salton sea around 12:36. Waiting for those pesky fish to bite is really annoying!

drifter023
05-25-2012, 08:48 AM

When the weather stays hot and the wind is not blowing super hard they are biting first light. Now they should be going crazy but wait till this wind dies down, we usally fish from the boat get there at 6 and done by 10 with 50 to 60 of them hope this helps.

cklovetofish
05-29-2012, 09:32 AM
Thanks for the info. We went there last Saturday. Got there by 10 AM and people already got bucketfuls.
We fished the Yatch club jetty area and people that were at the point got mostly big ones. We were at beginning of the jetty and most fish are small size, only about 1/4 lb. Ocasionally we got one that is 1 lb or bigger, but not many.
We spent lots of time redoing the lines, hooks and tangling for the kids. But we had a blast and the kids did not want to go home until we use up all the worms. We left there by 6PM. Must have landed over 300 fish.
People that want fish on the jetty, go to the right side jetty as there are not too many people as on the left hand side. You will have to walk another 50 yards but it is well worth it.

P1M
05-29-2012, 11:20 AM
Thanks for the info. We went there last Saturday. Got there by 10 AM and people already got bucketfuls.
We fished the Yatch club jetty area and people that were at the point got mostly big ones. We were at beginning of the jetty and most fish are small size, only about 1/4 lb. Ocasionally we got one that is 1 lb or bigger, but not many.
We spent lots of time redoing the lines, hooks and tangling for the kids. But we had a blast and the kids did not want to go home until we use up all the worms. We left there by 6PM. Must have landed over 300 fish.
People that want fish on the jetty, go to the right side jetty as there are not too many people as on the left hand side. You will have to walk another 50 yards but it is well worth it.

Nice job!
I haven't been down there yet this summer but last summer I had a blast!. I wouldn't keep anything out of there but fun for kids and me to catch fish.

Surfer
05-29-2012, 03:51 PM

Bucketfulls? Do people actually keep and eat the fish out of there?? =0

drifter023
05-29-2012, 06:54 PM
Glad you had a good trip great for the kids. Yup make great fish tacos you have heard of the nuclear blue fins in so. Cal? In the boats you only get the big ones lots of fun going down there in a few weeks.

superbigfish
05-29-2012, 07:10 PM
I usually catch fish starting at 2:20pm there.

DockRat
05-29-2012, 08:36 PM
Bucketfulls? Do people actually keep and eat the fish out of there?? =0
Yes they do. http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk157/dyedinthewool/Smilies/nuts.gif

I wouldn't eat one. Fed by the most Toxic River in the Northern Hemisphere.http://i492.photobucket.com/albums/rr285/croatoan5376/Emoticons/smiley_emoticons_eazy_kotz_graete.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DW-B1oAK1fM

DR http://i461.photobucket.com/albums/qq339/ladi_izz/Emoticons/beatdeadhorse5.gif

Viejo
05-30-2012, 08:42 AM
In the 34 years I was involved with a Public Safety agency, we called Child Protective services to protect children for exposures far less then this. Not sure I would ever trade the remotest chance that my kids and grandkids would ever be exposed to ANYTHING even remotely this toxic for the chance to catch some fish.

P1M
05-30-2012, 10:29 AM
In the 34 years I was involved with a Public Safety agency, we called Child Protective services to protect children for exposures far less then this. Not sure I would ever trade the remotest chance that my kids and grandkids would ever be exposed to ANYTHING even remotely this toxic for the chance to catch some fish.

Good point Viejo, I forgot to mention that my kids where in bio suits however; they found traces of lead in those so they are no longer safe. I also transported them down there in a armor vehicle with 5 point harnesses because of all the tragic accidents that kill thousands of children every year. I made sure that they didn't lick, eat, or chew on any fish. I also made sure they didn't swim, drink or touch the water. I am concerned that I took them to disney land because of the thousands of people that go there and touch everything with all the germs and all. I am also thinking of moving out of the coachella valley because I am sure the sea is bad for the air quality down here. I am trying to find all the fatalities associated with the salton sea that I must have missed but haven't had any luck. I need to be careful because I did see that looking at computer screens is also bad for you.

My kids are 7 and 5 and can't unhook there own fish and I want to show them what you wrote. I want to teach them that going off a thread topic and making stupid comments is just rude. I bet they have a better chance of getting beat up for saying something stupid then they do reeling in fish at the sea.

cklovetofish
05-30-2012, 11:05 AM
Most if not all people there kept the fish. And yes, there were also some white folks there.
I appreciate all the warnings and lecturing replies here. But please stay on the topic as this is for fishing. I believe what all of you and other said about Salton Sea are well aware of by other people. People make their own choices and by saying I would't and I shouldn't will not deter people from what people wants to do.
Anyway, I asked the kids "Do you guys want to come back here to fish?", they all said YES. Toxic or not, this place is a great place to get the kids hook to fishing.

Viejo
05-30-2012, 01:13 PM
Oh rats....I forgot. It's all about catching fish. "Toxic or not, this place is a great place to get the kids hook to fishing." :Big Grin:

angelsfan951
05-30-2012, 06:35 PM
can some1 tell me how to get here?? i always pass by here when i go to mexicali but do u ppl fish the side from the 86 fwy or the 111?? and also can u just fish anywhere or do u need to pay??

P1M
05-30-2012, 06:52 PM
can some1 tell me how to get here?? i always pass by here when i go to mexicali but do u ppl fish the side from the 86 fwy or the 111?? and also can u just fish anywhere or do u need to pay??

off 111 at the jetty at the closed museum. I have never tried the other side off of 86. I have never seen anyplace that you have to pay but all kidding aside it is kinda like the twilight zone out there and I would not eat anything out of there.

angelsfan951
05-30-2012, 07:46 PM
off 111 at the jetty at the closed museum. I have never tried the other side off of 86. I have never seen anyplace that you have to pay but all kidding aside it is kinda like the twilight zone out there and I would not eat anything out of there.

thanx for the info and i don't plan on keeping anything i don't eat fish i just do it as a hobby. and when i hear of a place thats non stop action I'm always willing to go. Even if i fish irvine lake corona lake city park lakes i don't eat anything.

drifter023
05-30-2012, 09:22 PM
Just up the road from the museum is the state park I think it is 6 bucks can't remember to get in. But you got to get there early gets real packed and get on the rocks you will get the bigger size fish that is where we launch the boat at and fish if in a boat take a hose with you they have fresh water hookups so you can flush you motor and wash boat up.

DockRat
05-31-2012, 06:11 AM
Try to stay on topic. This is about catching Toxic fish.
Maybe some people lack the skills to catch healthy fish.
If he told his wife about the New River and she read about the pollution I'm sure she would put her foot down. The north end is the upwind end of the Sea. The smell of death is not as bad.

I never fished it in the 3 1/2 years I lived in Brawley. It was too gross. Everytime I went to the Sea shore the ever present smell of death was in the air. With all the great canal fishing in the IV why fish the toxic dump ? Your kid gets cut (fish hook puncture) and STAPH INFECTION sets in then that would be bad. Why take the risk.
The flies get thick down there too

There is some Bombay Beach locals that claim the Tilapia taste good and are heathly. Lol.

Thanks for your concern Viejo. Most people became aware of the pollution in the 1980's down there when boating kinda died out. Calling CPS for taking kids there is not a bad idea. Some people refuse to listen or do there own research on the New/Alamo, Salton Sea POLLUTION.

Try to stay on topic. This thread is about fishing. It is similar to telling the 400 pound guy he should not wash down XL Pizzas with 2 liters of Coke.
Is some guy wants to take his kids there not pay attention to the fact that beach front property is almost worthless (I wonder why) and abandoned hotels around, let them eat cake.

The CPS is the major system of intervention of child abuse and neglect in California. Existing law provides for services to abused and neglected children and their families. The CPS goal is to keep the child in his/her own home when it is safe, and when the child is at risk, to develop an alternate plan as quickly as possible.

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e219/chaoseeker/Ethnography%20Field%20trip/IMG_1906.jpg

DR :Dead Horse:

P1M
05-31-2012, 07:05 AM
Try to stay on topic. This is about catching Toxic fish.
Maybe some people lack the skills to catch healthy fish.
If he told his wife about the New River and she read about the pollution I'm sure she would put her foot down. The north end is the upwind end of the Sea. The smell of death is not as bad.

I never fished it in the 3 1/2 years I lived in Brawley. It was too gross. Everytime I went to the Sea shore the ever present smell of death was in the air. With all the great canal fishing in the IV why fish the toxic dump ? Your kid gets cut (fish hook puncture) and STAPH INFECTION sets in then that would be bad. Why take the risk.
The flies get thick down there too

There is some Bombay Beach locals that claim the Tilapia taste good and are heathly. Lol.

Thanks for your concern Viejo. Most people became aware of the pollution in the 1980's down there when boating kinda died out. Calling CPS for taking kids there is not a bad idea. Some people refuse to listen or do there own research on the New/Alamo, Salton Sea POLLUTION.

Try to stay on topic. This thread is about fishing. It is similar to telling the 400 pound guy he should not wash down XL Pizzas with 2 liters of Coke.
Is some guy wants to take his kids there not pay attention to the fact that beach front property is almost worthless (I wonder why) and abandoned hotels around, let them eat cake.

The CPS is the major system of intervention of child abuse and neglect in California. Existing law provides for services to abused and neglected children and their families. The CPS goal is to keep the child in his/her own home when it is safe, and when the child is at risk, to develop an alternate plan as quickly as possible.

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e219/chaoseeker/Ethnography%20Field%20trip/IMG_1906.jpg

DR :Dead Horse:

Thanks again for the advise and staying on topic.

DockRat
05-31-2012, 06:26 PM

Early Sunrise. Watch for Rattle Snakes.
DR

Weather for Calipatria, CA
110°F | °C Thu
Clear Clear Mostly Sunny Clear
Clear
Wind: W at 5 mph :Shocked:
Humidity: 4% 110° 73°
Detailed forecast: The Weather Channel - Weather Underground - AccuWeather

Bombay Beach. :Thumbs Up:
http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q24/Tmastres/Salton%20Sea%20Images/Bombaytrailer2copy.jpg

Anglerism
05-31-2012, 06:58 PM
Went there 5/26/12 weekend. Man... It was PACKED! You would hope you will get a good spot when you arrive there 6am but nope! I fished by the Recreation area. Anyway, the fish already started biting when we got there. Its a mix bag of big ones and small ones By noon, the smaller fish around 6 inches, takes over. I ran into people by the cleaning station. I noticed the fish they caught were all big. They told me they were on a boat and wasnt too far out.

We fried the big ones we caught over there on the spot - it was DELICIOUS!! Thanks to the "toxic" that gives the taste of what it really is.

Yum Yum!!!

fishfinder
05-31-2012, 07:22 PM
any-one float tube out there?

P1M
05-31-2012, 07:28 PM
Went there 5/26/12 weekend. Man... It was PACKED! You would hope you will get a good spot when you arrive there 6am but nope! I fished by the Recreation area. Anyway, the fish already started biting when we got there. Its a mix bag of big ones and small ones By noon, the smaller fish around 6 inches, takes over. I ran into people by the cleaning station. I noticed the fish they caught were all big. They told me they were on a boat and wasnt too far out.

We fried the big ones we caught over there on the spot - it was DELICIOUS!! Thanks to the "toxic" that gives the taste of what it really is.

Yum Yum!!!

wow packed? I will go there sometime this summer. I hit the canal first and if thats a bust I hit the sea.

P1M
05-31-2012, 07:30 PM
any-one float tube out there?

lol That would be hardcore!

Anglerism
05-31-2012, 08:49 PM
No Float tubes but I did see someone with a Kayak.

Surfer
05-31-2012, 09:44 PM
Do people still swim in the sea?

drifter023
05-31-2012, 10:17 PM
We fish in a boat and the fish finder turns almost solid black with fish out in 15ft. Love it plus the last few times out been the only boat out no little ones only big ones. Glad to see there are other boats out there again. Will be there in a few weeks...

Calicanuck
05-31-2012, 10:37 PM
So I have a kayak and would like to go try fishing at the Salton Sea. Is there any permit needed to launch or can I just toss the boat in anywhere??? Also how big are the big one getting now? I was there a few years back and fished off the jetty, but didn't catch much while the guys beside us were nailing them.

I'm also a physician and whoever is worried about getting a Staph infection by going to the Salton Sea is out to lunch. Strep and Staph are natural skin flora and are with us all the time. Your kids have as much of chance getting a Staph infection in their own backyard as they do at the salton sea. As for the other diseases I'm not sure how viable they are once in the high salinity of the sea... questionable regarding actual health risk. I've read there are elevated selenium levels, but they put this stuff in vitamin pills too. Just my two cents. People are usually a little over protective, I'm happy if you don't smoke, drink occasionally and wear your seatbelt :)

Calicanuck

Seabass_Seeker
06-01-2012, 02:04 AM
Calicanuck you hit it right on the head. I've talked to a guy who frequents the area a lot and tells me the high salinity actually makes the fish cleaner than your store bought tilapia. Good to hear some confirmation from a professional. I'm wanting to bring my kayak out there too. Now to convince my friends for the 5 hour ride...

DockRat
06-01-2012, 07:18 AM
Calicanuck you hit it right on the head. I've talked to a guy who frequents the area a lot and tells me the high salinity actually makes the fish cleaner than your store bought tilapia. Good to hear some confirmation from a professional. I'm wanting to bring my kayak out there too. Now to convince my friends for the 5 hour ride...
I WOULD NOT TOUCH THAT WATER.

LMAO Frickin Clueless.

The New River flows north into the Sea from Mexicali Mexico.
Reported on 60 minutes 'MOST POLLUTED RIVER IN THE WORLD'

The Feds say; Similarly, polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs) were detected in tilapia fillets at levels that may increase the cancer risk for those anglers also eating more than 4 meals of tilapia per week.

And you say they are clean LMAO
Dude, I worked at a Cal Enegy plany 1/8 mile from the Sea.

http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn225/karlalou_2008/Head.jpg

YAH OK, AND I AM SURE THAT YOU ARE AWARE OF ALL THE HEAVY METALS THAT THE FACTORIES IN MEXICALI DUMP EVERY DAY. LOL
One million residents of Mexicali.

YOU GUYS ARE INSANE TO EAT THOSE TOXIC FISH.

EVEN IF YOU BELIEVE THE GOV

' SAFE LEVELS '

DON'T TAKE YOUR KIDS TO THAT TOXIC DUMP.

I think you guys need to study the New River.

Get a clue. Go to the New River and look and smell it.

Use the Tilapia for Fish Meal Fertilizer.

Dreams die fast and hard in the desert, and the Salton Riviera was no exception. The sea itself, with its fluctuating shoreline and creeping salinity, had by 1964 turned into a cruel mirage. Things only got worse in the 1970s. It's hard to sell waterfront lots when dead fish carpet the shore and rotting algal blooms raise a stench vile enough to keep people indoors miles away. The final blow came in 1986 when 60 Minutes declared the New River—which brings in a third of the sea's inflows along with remnants of sewage from nearly a million residents of Mexicali—the most polluted river in the world.

http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/ngm/0502/feature5/fulltext.html

Even 60 minutes declared the New River ' Most Polluted River in the World'

The Sea has no outlet. It is a Sump that has collected POLLUTION FROM MEXICO FOR 50 + YEARS

Even in Brawley the odor makes you almost barf.

Now they have a few marsh basins and you think it is safe. LMAO
It's like talking to 3rd graders.

You guys think you discovered some great clean fishery. LMAO
People have been avoiding the Sea for 30 years.

Document title
Contaminants in tilapia (Oreochromis mossambicus) from the Salton Sea, California, in relation to human health, piscivorous birds and fish meal production
Author(s)
MOREAU Marie F.
Author(s) Affiliation(s)
(1) Department of Biology and Center for Inland Waters, San Diego State University, San Diego, CA 92182-4614, ETATS-UNIS
(2) Graduate School of Public Health, San Diego State University, San Diego, CA 92182-4162, ETATS-UNIS
(3) California Department of Fish and Game, Fish and Wildlife Water Pollution Control Laboratory, 2005 Nimbus Road, Rancho Cordova, CA 95670, ETATS-UNIS
(4) Frontier Geosciences Inc., 414 Pontius Ave N, Seattle, WA 98109, ETATS-UNIS

Abstract
A summary of all existing information collected since 1980 on contaminants in tilapia from the Salton Sea is presented and risks to humans and fish-eating birds assessed. Of the 17 trace elements, 42 organic pesticides and 48 polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs) analyzed in tilapia whole body and fillet samples, only selenium (Se), arsenic (As) and possibly dichlorodiphenyltrichloroethane (DDE) were found at levels high enough to be of concern for fish, birds or humans. Average current concentration of arsenic (As) was 0.7 μg g-1 wet weight (ww) in whole body samples and 1.2 μg g-1 ww in fillet samples, or 2.8 and 5.7 μg g-1 dry weight (dw), respectively. Inorganic As averaged 0.006 μg g-1 ww (0.03 μg g-1 dw) in fillet samples, which represented 0.3% of total As.

By U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (U.S.EPA) guidelines, As levels in tilapia pose no threat of non-cancerous adverse health effects in children and adults.

Average current Se concentration was 2.2 μg g-1 ww in tilapia whole body samples and 1.9 μg g-1 ww in fillet (8.3 and 9 μg g-1 dw, respectively). Consumption of Se-contaminated tilapia was found to present no unacceptable risk for adverse health effects for adults consuming up to 1000 g (35 oz) of fillet per week even when additional intakes of Se from other food items were taken into account. Similarly, children weighing 30 kg or more could safely eat up to 430 g (15 oz) of tilapia fillet on a weekly basis. A health advisory issued by the State of California in 1986 recommended, on the basis of Se levels, that consumption of any fish from the Salton Sea be limited to 114 g (4 oz) every 2 weeks, but the rationale and calculations on which that advisory was based are unavailable.

We suggest that the existing health advisory for Salton Sea tilapia be revised by the state in light of this new information and updated risk parameters for As and Se. Dichlorodiphenyltrichloroethane (DDE) was detected in all samples of tilapia, with current levels averaging 0.085 μg g-1 in whole tilapia and 0.032 μg g-1 in fillet ww. Compared to screening values proposed by the U.S. EPA, these concentrations are unlikely to cause non-cancerous health effects in anglers,

but one might exceed a 1 x 10-5 increase in cancer risk by consuming more than 4 meals of tilapia per week. Similarly, polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs) were detected in tilapia fillets at levels that may increase the cancer risk for those anglers also eating more than 4 meals of tilapia per week. These determinations are based, however, on DDE concentrations reported from a small sample size (n = 4), and on screening values recommended by U.S.EPA.

Trouteaser
06-01-2012, 08:41 AM
Does anyone know if they still catch Corvina in the sea? We used to go down in the 90's and catch Corvina to 20 pounds. We would wade out a few 100 yards and fish in that warm, stinky bath water and I'm still alive... A virgin poster no more!

P1M
06-01-2012, 09:00 AM
Does anyone know if they still catch Corvina in the sea? We used to go down in the 90's and catch Corvina to 20 pounds. We would wade out a few 100 yards and fish in that warm, stinky bath water and I'm still alive... A virgin poster no more!

I don't beleave there are any more left in the sea. The salinity is to high. Last yr I was there and fish and game told me they saw someone with one but was caught more by salton city but who knows?

DockRat
06-02-2012, 07:00 AM
Why even take a chance eating the Toxic Tilapia.
Go to Brawley, smell the toxic river that dumps into the Sea.
It will make you sick.

Does anyone know if they still catch Corvina in the sea?
All gone. Too salty. The Sea is a pit with no escape or drain circulation.
It rains less than 3" a year down there

The clean Whitewater river does not supply enough fresh water.
The Polluted New River and Alamo provide the majority of the water.
This POLLUTED Mexican city/factory/sewage water pours in 24/7/365 and the heath warnings were posted
in the 1980's. Once the pile worms die so will the Tilapia.

Similarly, polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs) were detected in tilapia fillets at levels that may increase the cancer risk for those anglers also eating more than 4 meals of tilapia per week. These determinations are based, however, on DDE concentrations reported from a small sample size (n = 4), and on screening values recommended by U.S. EPA.

A health advisory issued by the State of California in 1986 recommended, on the basis of Se levels, that consumption of any fish from the Salton Sea be limited to 114 g (4 oz) every 2 weeks
http://www.springerlink.com/content/b48142767w572363/

2 servings a week.
http://www.oehha.ca.gov/fish/so_cal/saltonsea.html

It is not worth it.
Forget about the Salton Sea.
DR

dixoncider
06-02-2012, 08:19 AM
drove through the Salton City area last month..WOW what a place.. check out this review on yelp..IT IS UNREAL.... before you even think about spending the day out there just know its not what you may expect.
http://www.yelp.com/biz/salton-sea-salton-city
The shore is made up of dead fish..
http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb211/dixoncider1/photo1-1.jpg

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb211/dixoncider1/photo2-1.jpg

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb211/dixoncider1/photo3-1.jpg

dixoncider
06-02-2012, 08:31 AM
http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb211/dixoncider1/P1110733.jpg

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb211/dixoncider1/P1110747.jpg

ZipperWurm
06-02-2012, 04:43 PM
drove through the Salton City area last month..WOW what a place.. check out this review on yelp..IT IS UNREAL.... before you even think about spending the day out there just know its not what you may expect.
http://www.yelp.com/biz/salton-sea-salton-city

the second review is solid gold LMAO

"The average weight of women out here is 220 lbs. I thought living in North West Las Vegas was bad, this was way worse.
This place looks like the city where Gary Oldman fights Denzel Washington in that "Book of Eli" movie.

Oddly, the residents all have nice cars. I was like totally expecting a 1989 Ford Focus in everyone's driveway, but they all had cars from the last 5-6 years.

For some strange reason the water is very blue from a distance, but when you get close it turns red from the blood of all the children who died when they were forced to construct the lake(okay...the last part was made up, but the water really is red"

dixoncider
06-02-2012, 10:12 PM
that review is the best..after reading that i had to go and see for myself...

DockRat
06-03-2012, 07:24 PM
Love that boat pic.
It's too bad the place went to Hell.
Good Canal fishing all over the place down there though.

jck
06-03-2012, 10:51 PM
It was my first time, took my kayak to the sea over the labor day weekend, launched from the marina launch ramp, no launch fee, just pay the day use parking/camp. Fish found mostly near shore at shallow water at 4-6', fish bite pretty much all day long if you find the honey hole. Red worm is the ticket, I tried mealworm with good success, but these fishes preferred red worm more. The bigger fish hang out the outter edge at 5-7' deep. I din't see any fish further out below 8' deep from my fish finder. Initially I use 2lbs test line and all broke off by these fighter :Embarrassed:! When I switched to 6lbs test line, it was a blast to land these big boy from a kayak with my super light crappie/trout rig rod :Big Grin:. I did see a few people swimming/tubbing in mecca beach area, and some wading out to fish:EyePop:. Beside the stinking smell that I can't get off for a week :Shocked:, I have to soap wash my kayak, rinse, wash then rinse :mad:, nevertheless, it was a fun trip with an ever lasting experience :Envious:

btw, I did fillet a few fishes and pan fry them at the camp for dinner, they're tasty, I think it might be the toxin :LOL:

stocker
06-10-2012, 10:00 AM
any-one float tube out there? my fishing partner used to all of the time up through 2002. I'd kill to have a photo that he showed me with 5 orangemouth on a rope, the smallest at 12lbs.