PDA

View Full Version : My wife's condition

HBAR
05-23-2012, 09:45 PM
Some of you on here are friends with me on Facebook and already know this, so this is for everyone else. My wife has lost the battle with the infection in her left leg after having broken both legs on Christmas. 3 weeks ago another infection showed up on her leg and the next day it started oozing yellow stuff out, the following week we went to see the doctor and as soon as he saw it he said I'm admitting you right now, it's infected again.
After the second surgery this passed Monday (its now a total of 8 surgeries) they called me down to the surgical floor since I was waiting for her this time and I spoke with the doctor. He tells me the bone is dead there is no healing going on inside of her leg, that normally we have 3 blood vessels or veins (can't remember exactly what he said) there. In my wife's case she was born with only two, another one is massively damaged and they can't even find it and the last one is there and somewhat working but it's not enough.
Spoke with my wife after the surgery and the decision was made, so tomorrow around mid afternoon not sure what time yet I'll find out in the morning her left leg will be amputated from the knee down, exactly how far down I don't know yet as we didn't speak about it this evening while there with the kids.
For those of you who were in line those Friday nights at Irvine tailgating and were with me when I would get the phone calls from the hospital letting me know she was out and everything went ok, thanks for being there. Some of you might have seen her at farm fish 2012 but she didn't get out of the truck much other then to go to the bathroom, she said she had fun I'm sure she would of had more fun had she come out next time.
Mike aka HBAR

IncredibleHuck
05-23-2012, 09:48 PM
Dang i'm sorry to hear man! Prayers go out to you guys.

Armofisher818
05-23-2012, 10:01 PM
Hey mike im sorry to hear that i wouldve called you but i lost ur # when my phone broke. But mike i hope for the best for your family and you never know, miracles do happen. Take care pm meyour number so we can talk on the phone.

OC ANGLER
05-23-2012, 10:23 PM
Sorry to hear that Mike .... Sending a prayer your familys way

old pudd fisher
05-23-2012, 10:26 PM
We have shared problems in the past. I remember the hard time your daughter had a while back hope she is doing well. And I remember that fall your wife had at Christmas, that sounded nasty. The doctor knows best...Take care.

Karyn
05-23-2012, 10:31 PM
My thoughts and prayers go out to you and your wife. I'm going to pm you my number; please, if you need help with anything, please call.

white belt
05-23-2012, 10:35 PM
Best wishes to you and yours. Family is most important. I'll be sending you both strength and good vibes.

ThatKidCASH
05-23-2012, 11:47 PM
Mike,
I'm very sorry to hear about that. You are both great people and the way the universe works is strange. Good things will come to you in the future. One day at a time buddy.

-Steven

DockRat
05-24-2012, 05:36 AM
That is very sad about your wife. Prayers sent.
Been a bad week. My buddy since 8th grade got Lou Gerhigs diesese.
going down to Harbor General every other day.

Which Way Out
05-24-2012, 06:32 AM
Stay Strong. Prayers sent.:Group Hug:
WWO

The Fishing Queen
05-24-2012, 06:50 AM
Sorry to hear about your wife's condition. This must be a tough time to you and your family. My prayer will go with her, and best wishes to all of you! Take care!

Mr_Dunev
05-24-2012, 06:51 AM
Stay strong Mike. My prayers go out to you and your family.
Lucas

Sir.Snags.A.Lot
05-24-2012, 07:19 AM
Sorry for the news. Prayers are out there for you and your family Mike. Stay strong. You and your family are in our thoughts.

SSAL, mrbigdr

qaze0
05-24-2012, 07:40 AM
Stay strong my brother....

murrieta angler
05-24-2012, 08:14 AM
My prayers go out to you and your family.
God Bless,
Robert
<><

HBAR
05-24-2012, 09:07 AM
Thanks everyone, as we certainly didn't plan on this we'll have to take it one day at a time. This happening just falls along with all the othe crap that has been going on in our lives recently and with me the last two years, hopefully things will start looking up soon.

5150fishn
05-24-2012, 10:13 AM
Mike, Sorry to hear the news. I remember all of the phone calls you were making at the Vine camping in line with all of us. Just sad to hear that things are not healing properly. I remember how chearfully she sat in the car at the farmfest and I thought things were on the upswing for her. I will keep you all in my thoughts and send good karma your way bro.

Santa Fe Eric
05-24-2012, 12:03 PM
So sorry to hear this. Prayers sent.

SFE

HBAR
05-24-2012, 07:13 PM
Just an update: they took Melissa in about 20 mins ago, they didn't give me a time frame of how long it'll take, so when they bring her back I will post. Again to my fishin family we thank you for the prayers and well wishes (she has my laptop with her at the hospital I got on FNN and showed her the page).

Cartman
05-24-2012, 08:08 PM
Wow, Mike, that's terrible. I am very sorry to hear about your wife. You are going to have to shoulder a lot of the burden for a while. Stand tough. This too will pass, and some day you will all look back an it will look like nothing. My thoughts are with you, and I know you have what it takes. Best wishes to your whole family.

troutdog
05-24-2012, 09:57 PM
Our collective positive thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family Mike, hope to see you both back at the lake soon!

TD

HBAR
05-24-2012, 10:29 PM
UPDATE: Doctor came and spoke with me, says everything went well they removed and cleaned up the area and the part of the leg below the knee looks really well, he said as he was speaking with me that she was already being fitted with the prosthtic so when they bring her into the room it will already be in place and she can start putting some limited weight on the leg after a reasonable amount of time. The doctor's face and eyes were red and he looked really tired. I told him thank you and to go get some sleep cuz you look like your about to drop. Again thank you everyone for your prayers and well wishes.

CL SmooV
05-24-2012, 10:45 PM
Mike -- that's great she came out of surgery ok. Remain strong. Get her out to the water in due time.

Psalms 30:5

Smoov

HBAR
05-24-2012, 11:00 PM
Hell I'm still waiting for them to bring her back to the room

HBAR
05-30-2012, 11:29 AM
UPDATE: Morning FNNer's just wanted to let eveyone know we brought Melissa back home yesterday, she's doing ok still in lots of pain but that's to be expected considering what they did to her. Hopefully by the end of summer she'll be up and walking and maybe laughing it up with us in the parking lot.

5150fishn
05-30-2012, 03:04 PM
Mike, glad to hear that she is back home now. Before you know it you will both be back on the water with mini Hbar.

fishinone
05-30-2012, 04:06 PM
It sounds like you guys are hanging in there. Get well Soon. I'll keep you in my prayers.

HBAR
08-04-2012, 03:08 PM
So it's been two months since they amputated her leg, she's still in pain but not as much as when she first came home. We've gone down to get her cast and fitted for the prosthetic which she should be getting in about a week or so. It's kinda weird that we've been seeing a lot of commercials for prosthetics and she's being inspired by the athletes who are in the Olympics running with two prosthetics as well as the wounded warriors. She says she can't wait to get the leg and get back to work.
She's been denied an electric scooter by her insurance they say she doesn't meet the requirements for having one. Ok I guess they think she'll just pop back up and start running as soon as she gets the leg. So for those who said they would help with making a ramp for the cargo carrier I have, thanks I will update if I still need help with that later.
Thanks for all the well wishes and prayers,

Mike

Santa Fe Eric
08-04-2012, 09:42 PM
HBAR. Thanks for the update. It is great that the Olympics are inspirational for your wife. Keep us in the loop. I will keep her in my prayers.

BTW is your location "charming" a S.O.A. Reference? If so that is my favorite show along with Game of Thrones!

Eric

HBAR
08-05-2012, 01:24 PM
HBAR. Thanks for the update. It is great that the Olympics are inspirational for your wife. Keep us in the loop. I will keep her in my prayers.

BTW is your location "charming" a S.O.A. Reference? If so that is my favorite show along with Game of Thrones!

Eric

Yes Eric it is

Which Way Out
08-05-2012, 04:40 PM
That's Great news Mike. I am glad I was surfing the site and found your Update.

Get her outside and near some water soon. I am sure it will bring a big smile to her face, yours as well.
Best Wishes

WWO

technician
08-05-2012, 04:48 PM
Best wished to you and yours man sorry to hear such terrible news dude
Technician

allIdoIsfish
08-10-2012, 02:58 PM
Mike, I don't know you personally but your story has touched me greatly. I wouldn't say I'm going thru the same thing right now but I have been taking care of my grandfather who had a stroke, Parkinson's, gtube and Trach all within the last year or so. I'm been caring for him 24/7 for the last year. My girlfriend is one of the big guns for one of the best home healths in SoCal and they have the best physical therapist, and occupational therapist. Pm me if you need any help with anything or questions, we might be able to help you with the motorized chair as well. From my experience the insurance is always trying to reject all request for medical items, weird I know... You just have to keep pushing for it, that's what we had to do for a lot of our medical supplies/equipment. Best of luck to your wife. Keep her motivated and always looking forward. All will be fine. Please pm me for any medical advice or questions. We will try to help as much as we can.

Victor

bruce watson
08-10-2012, 07:48 PM
Mike, I am so so sorry to hear this. For once in my life I am speechless. we'll include her in our prayers.

keepemlo
09-21-2012, 03:16 PM
I pray for you're family really sorry to hear this.god bless