PDA

View Full Version : : ) Casting across the Jetty

Karyn
05-23-2012, 02:25 PM
Yesterday I took a little trip to Preformance Tackle in Los Alamitos to learn how to cast my Abu Garcia Round Reel and my official "I HATE backlash"- spinning reel. The guy was a great teacher and had the patience of a saint! After landing my swim bait in the tree, I finally go the hang of it and thought I should go and try my new skills and technique at the beach. Luckily I purchased my beach pass! High way robery! To get into the beach it's $15 bucks!

Went to the Bolsa inlet and watched this guy catch his share of legal hali's! Good for him! I tried my new casting skill and up, up and away- FAR to the other side of the jetty my swim bait flew! I was pretty proud! No fish to report, but I did almost catch the man on the rocks! (I know he doesn't count).

Now, I think I have the round reel figured out; after a week of using it and getting my skill fine tuned, I will probably work on that damn bait caster! Officially, I still HATE backlash!

A big thank you to Prefomrance Tackle! Their store is very organized too! I am going to have to pay it forward! Thanks again!!!

kaneo
05-23-2012, 07:07 PM
how do you backlash a spinning reel ?

Karyn
05-23-2012, 10:42 PM
Bait caster...you take off the cover and It has all these little tiny levers that are brakes, I guess they were not set properly, and that was part of the problem. Plus, it's kind of like driving a car with a stick shift. You have to learn when it will grab and when it will let go. Still trying to figure it out. Thanks for correcting me. All the names of the types of reels can get confusing.

Newfishsmell
06-01-2012, 06:55 AM
Good try out there Karyn !

This looks like something for the reports section. The Bolsa inlet is a great spot, but parking is pricey.
You should give rivers end a try in Seal Beach. Cheap parking or free with a short walk.

Best of Luck

Karyn
06-01-2012, 08:39 AM
Good try out there Karyn !

This looks like something for the reports section. The Bolsa inlet is a great spot, but parking is pricey.
You should give rivers end a try in Seal Beach. Cheap parking or free with a short walk.

Best of Luck

NFS- Thanks for the tip. I have a yearly parking pass, so I don't have to pay each time; my kids go to visit the SurfGod almost EVERY Sunday! so it just made $$ sense to buy it. I was posting that I am learning how to use my bait caster-I STILL HATE BACKLASH! Not getting it as much though! Learning how keep the thumb control :)

Sometimes I go to Seal Beach- near the Jetty; I love the new parking lot. After I fish, I treat myself to Athens West (on Main Street). A few weeks ago I took my little Valco to "Rivers End" (opposite side of Los Alimitos Bay) and saw a TON of starfish covering all of the rocks at the end! It was a sight! I also cruised over to the bait barge and caught a few mac's. Fished in the ocean (not shore) near 72nd street and caught some other fish too. It was a great fishing day : )

Again, thanks for the tip. I appreciate all the help I can get :)

Which Way Out
06-01-2012, 06:15 PM
Hey Karyn.
I am so glad to see that you are trying out the baitcaster style reels. With that boat of yours you gonna need it. JK, spinning reels are great and even better than ever if you spend the money for the higher quality ones.
Myself I prefer baitcasters for almost all my fishing. Sure I still use a spinning reel now and then, but I find I use my Fly rod more than the any of the spinning I have.

The backlash will happen, so until you get real good don't worry about it. Heck the other day I toasted about 100 yards of line in a major backlash. I don't get them very often but when you hook a bush behind yourself and cast, look out. One of the worst ever.:Sad:
I spool up my reels with braid to about 2/3rds full and than top it with mono. If your backlash is bad you can just replace the mono. Up front cost is a little higher but the fresh mono a couple times a season is the way to go if you are only replacing a small bit.

These are the biggest reason I use baitcasters. I used all 3 when I was a little kid. Fished Fairmont Park lake every Sat.
http://i769.photobucket.com/albums/xx340/WhichWayOut/Oldreels2.jpg
I did think I was pretty cool when I got my first Spinning reel though, a Michell 300. Lots of fish were caught on that one. Don't have pic of it handy.

Hey have fun and I hope you are able to catch a halibut one day. You will be hooked for sure.

WWO

BTW those reels, Still work...:Big Grin:

Karyn
06-01-2012, 11:18 PM
WWO- I usually use the spinning reels, but I thought I would try the round reel and bait caster types. I have a few round reels (a few older Penns) and a brand new Abu Garcia- Ambassador. One bait caster, and a few spinning reels. I can cast pretty well with the spinning reels, but after going to Preformance Tackle, my technique has changed and I can throw it pretty far- better control too.

It's been a ton of fun, especially now that summer is here. :) I work summer school, so I can usually hit the afternoon bite.... And take off early on Fridays. It's all good!

Thanks for the encouragement. I appreciate it. Off to San Diego this weekend : ) it's going to be great!!!!! Go Kings!!!