PDA

View Full Version : Assistance with a few stream/river fish identification

Coefficient13
05-22-2012, 09:45 AM
Went on a trip last weekend and caught a lot of fish. Three of them I'm not sure on proper Identification of species/strain or whatever. Any insight would be appreciated.

http://i1252.photobucket.com/albums/hh570/Coefficient13/IMAG0956.jpg

This guy has a stripe, but the splotches are dark black and the hue of the rest of him seemed a bit off for a rainbow. Not sure, but the picture is exactly what he looked like, not bad shading or anything.

http://i1252.photobucket.com/albums/hh570/Coefficient13/IMAG0959.jpg

This guy's spots that were not the red ones below are actually blue and blue circled before the dark ones up top. I don't normally see that much color in the spots on any trout.

http://i1252.photobucket.com/albums/hh570/Coefficient13/IMAG0944.jpg

This guy was thin but muscular, has kind of an upper-lip (pink thing in it's mouth is the trout worm), and the top of his head is a bit flat and bulged. I don't know of a blue striped fish this guy could be, and he's not very trout like.

Thanks!

Edit: every single fish caught that weekend released, and barbless.

midgettosser1
05-22-2012, 09:53 AM
1) I'm guessing (depending on where you were), that it's a native rainbow.
2) brown trout
3) SQUAWFISH! everyones favorite. AKA pikeminnow.

fishfnatic
05-22-2012, 12:50 PM
The first one is either a coastal rainbow or a red band rainbow trout. Natives to California.

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/fish/Fishing/Recognition/HTC/HTC_Trout.asp

Coefficient13
05-22-2012, 02:11 PM
Those were my guesses on the first two. I caught a lot of other rainbows of two basic looks, but none with quite that look, someone suggested it was a halfie of some sort. But rainbows do vary a lot. The other browns had less color than that one.

Nice to know what that last one is. Much more varied life in the upper Kern than the smaller creeks I fish. Lamprey and something else also caught, but no pics, lulz.

Thanks, guys.

ucangler
05-22-2012, 02:20 PM
1) Wild Rainbow For Sure
2) Brown Trout
3) Squaw

Piss on Myspace
05-22-2012, 06:58 PM
1) I'm guessing (depending on where you were), that it's a native rainbow.
2) brown trout
3) SQUAWFISH! everyones favorite. AKA pikeminnow.

...ditto

that 1st rainbow sure is purdy. If fishing the upper stretches of the kern, possible hybrid?...either way, AWESOME!!!

midgettosser1
05-22-2012, 09:36 PM
Ah I knew it was Kern. That would be a kern river native rainbow I believe.

Marley
05-22-2012, 09:59 PM
.... Lamprey and something else also caught, but no pics, lulz.

Thanks, guys.

There's lamprey in the Kern River? I always thought they were an east coast/Great Lakes deal. Are they parasitic?

midgettosser1
05-22-2012, 10:22 PM
There's lamprey in the Kern River? I always thought they were an east coast/Great Lakes deal. Are they parasitic?

Maybe it was just a sucker fish?

rel
05-22-2012, 10:28 PM
#1 little kern golden trout #2brown hybrid #3 mountain whitefish

Coefficient13
05-22-2012, 10:30 PM
That's what he said, Shrugz. Perhaps he mistook it for a different suckerfish?

I bass fish and hit some creeks, if I catch a fish that isn't a trout in a creek it tends to be a sad little bass, I don't know what all these things are. Time to learn them, so I appreciate the help.

I will have to do the same from now on when I surf fish (rarely) and catch fish that aren't one of the very few I know.

They're pretty hard to identify online. The squawfish pics on the species page had no blue line, etc. Makes it hard when that's the main defining feature I see. I'm doing a much better job with my bird book. There were a lot of other varied rainbows caught, very pretty, and saw a mountain lion cross the river in the morning right by me where I was casting. Pretty nice area.

FSHNLIC
05-23-2012, 10:45 AM
Kern river rainbow
Brown
Pikeminnow

Nicely done sir

Skyler
05-23-2012, 11:17 AM
Kern river rainbow
Brown
Pikeminnow

Nicely done sir

FSHNLIC is correct. The last one is a northern pikeminnow, formerly (and incorrectly) classified as a northern squawfish. The first one is a native rainbow but looks to have some genetics from a Little Kern Golden. The have interbred extensively for years. It is nearly impossible to find a pure Little Kern Golden trout anymore. One of the indicators is the length of the pectoral fins. A true Golden has over sized "wings" compared to a rainbow.