PDA

View Full Version : Blue-Stoning DVL

DoubleTrouble
05-21-2012, 11:40 PM
I can't ever remember DVL being blue stoned. Question for KWIN or Mike Giusti, is DVL restricted from blue stoning?

kwin
05-22-2012, 10:57 AM
I can't ever remember DVL being blue stoned. Question for KWIN or Mike Giusti, is DVL restricted from blue stoning?

it is not restricted at DVL but copper sulfate treatments are up to MWD and are usually done when algae that presents taste and odor issue with drinking water are a problem. DVL has enough depth where water can be withdrawn below where the algae caused taste and odor is an issue.

Matt_Magnone
05-22-2012, 07:52 PM
it is not restricted at DVL but copper sulfate treatments are up to MWD and are usually done when algae that presents taste and odor issue with drinking water are a problem. DVL has enough depth where water can be withdrawn below where the algae caused taste and odor is an issue.

good info man. bottom line; its a drinking water lake. were guests on their water while we fish. as long as good water can be had, they're good. sucks about conditions for us anglers but at the same time it might be a healthy thing for this lake.

algae produces oxygen
bass will be rested due to lack of fishing pressure
possibility of a good shad spawn
soft surface cover fish can relate to
smaller fin fish will have cover to hide in

maybe i'm wrong, but it sounds good to me. just gotta figure out how to deal with it. its something we've never really had to encounter.

seal
05-22-2012, 08:55 PM
Cycle of life in a lake. Happened at Silverwood a few years back, green slime all over the place but I believe messing with mother nature to alter the life cycle of a lake is in the long run not a good idea. Let nature balance itself out and deal with the fishing conditions.

HawgZWylde
05-22-2012, 09:01 PM
good info man. bottom line; its a drinking water lake. were guests on their water while we fish. as long as good water can be had, they're good. sucks about conditions for us anglers but at the same time it might be a healthy thing for this lake.

algae produces oxygen
bass will be rested due to lack of fishing pressure
possibility of a good shad spawn
soft surface cover fish can relate to
smaller fin fish will have cover to hide in

maybe i'm wrong, but it sounds good to me. just gotta figure out how to deal with it. its something we've never really had to encounter.

Sounds good to me too Matt. Last Tuesday I pulled a wad off my rig that had a bunch of fry in it. But the marina will take a hit. A lot of folks won't put their boats in it. Like you said before though, the fish will still eat, and the worst of the algae only goes so deep...

commish24
05-23-2012, 02:24 PM
Sounds good to me too Matt. Last Tuesday I pulled a wad off my rig that had a bunch of fry in it. But the marina will take a hit. A lot of folks won't put their boats in it. Like you said before though, the fish will still eat, and the worst of the algae only goes so deep...

It's certainly been discussed since 2004. Since it's happened "recently" to Skinner and Perris, it's only a matter of time for DVL.

Though an older (crooked) document, it's an interesting read.

http://www.waterboards.ca.gov/water_issues/programs/npdes/docs/aquatic/metropolitan_water_district_of_southern_ca.pdf

heydaad
05-23-2012, 08:38 PM
Man made lakes all have this problem ... the algae blooms. DVL does not have a natural way to avoid this (wind, rain, and so on). It is cyclical, and the MWD will deal with it as they see fit. The water below is fine, and that is where they pump from. Skinner and Perris are much shallower, and have to deal with the issues in different ways. Surface fishing was not the primary purpose of this lake (DVL). We all have to roll with the punches, it won't be long until all is back to normal.

Matt_Magnone
05-23-2012, 09:43 PM
i agree with you. give me a kiddy pool and tell me there's a 10 pounder in it and i'll spend all day trying to figure out how to catch it. on the other hand, pour some jello in there and it gets to be annoying. that bass is the same fish regardless. it just gets to be a pain in the *** screwing with the goo. but hey thats fishing. we have had it pretty damn easy though up until last year!

Kareem Korn
05-24-2012, 06:28 AM
Lake hemet does it all the time. It sucks, kills the shore fishing.

Jbro
05-31-2012, 09:06 PM
Its actually a good sign of a healthy body of water. Lots of lakes in the Sierras, Crowley, Bridgeport, Eagle, Pyramid (Nevada) all have these regular blooms. They feed the bugs that feed the small fish that feed the big boys and girls we all love. It will die off and sink away but is a mess when its in full bloom for sure.