PDA

View Full Version : Reel Suggestions

Re8elmonk0341
04-23-2007, 11:02 PM
I was in the PX sporting good store today and looking at the Diawa Coastal, Shimano Citica, and Shimano Curado. Which would should I buy and why? Ive heard lots of good things 'bout the Coastal but I like the Curado's higher gear ratio.

Porkchop5420
04-23-2007, 11:12 PM
curado!

halijedi
04-24-2007, 01:27 AM
Higher gear ratio is not always a good thing. Try working a crankbait with a 7:1 gear ratio, lol.

I've personally owned the Coastal and think it is worth the money. However, I would pay a little extra and purchase a Luna or the Abu Garcia Revo STX. I personally do not fish with Shimano reels because I think Daiwa reels are prettier (lol), in all seriousness, the Curado would be a good choice as well, but ask yourself what type of fishing you intend to do with this reel and any other reel before settling on it.

If you want to fish swimbaits for sandies and checkers, a reel with a 6:1 gear ratio is just fine (although I prefer a 5:1). If you intend to use it for halibut off the surf with hardbaits, 5:1 is the way to go. I have lost fewer fish during the fight using a slightly slower reel and my bite to catch ratio increased dramatically.