PDA

View Full Version : Problem with weight forward sinking fly line.

donniemeyer20
05-20-2012, 05:28 PM
Hello, I need a help. I bought some Cortland SL 444 Classic fly line. The specs are Steady Sink, Type 3, 3.5-4 IPS, WF5S. I unraveled it and noticed that the diameter on each ends are identical. From my experience with weight forward floating fly lines the diameters on each end are considerably different and its easy to tell which end to connect to backing. This is the first sinking line I have bought and am confused about which end to connect to backing. Are there any recommendations on how to tell which end is the weight forward end. Thanks. Also what does 3.5-4 IPS stand for and WF5S stand for?

Flying
05-20-2012, 07:02 PM
Sinking lines still have a larger WF section. Its just not as drastic as a floating because it has tungsten powder in the coating to make it sink. Check out the specs for your line on the Cortland site. Some sinking lines like my SA's have a different color shade on the tip section.

Also when you get a new line it comes spooled to tie to your backing so don't unravel it next time:Wink:

ips is inches per second sink rate.

Fishnfun
05-20-2012, 07:08 PM
The 3.5-4 IPS means the line sinks at a rate of 3.5 to 4 Inches Per Second (IPS). The WF5S indicates the line is a Weight Forward Sinking Line that is made for a 5 weight fly rod.

Even with weight forward lines, the end portion at the front of the line has a thin diameter to allow attachment of the leader. After this front thin diameter portion, the line should taper into the thicker diameter weight forward portion of the line before thinning again to the running line portion. As already mentioned, the thicker portion of a sinking line is not as thick as with floating lines. Here's a link to what it should look like:

http://www.cortlandline.com/products/default.asp?id=92

If your line does not have a loop at the front to attach the leader, you will need to a) buy and attach a pre-made end loop connector; b) make a loop in the line using a couple of nail knots; or c) make a loop in a short length of heavy mono and connect to the fly line with a nail knot. Hope this helps.

donniemeyer20
05-20-2012, 09:15 PM
Yea. I looked father down the fly line and I could see a difference in diameter and was able to tell which end to connect to the backing. Thanks for your advice and knowledge.

Greg Madrigal
05-21-2012, 12:07 AM
Those guys gave good advice. Mine would have been to stick each end in bath water to see which floats and which sinks.

donniemeyer20
05-21-2012, 09:16 AM
Really? I was thinking of something along those lines. Would it be the weight forward end that sinks?