PDA

View Full Version : Upper Twin Lake Skunkfest

flytyingreloader
05-19-2012, 10:24 PM
These kinds of things happen, even in the best of families.

Got the itch to fish for trout, so I jammed outta Ridgecrest about 11 P.M. Monday evening for Bridgeport/Twin Lakes. Copped a short snooze at the rest area near Deadman's Pass, then on the road again to Upper Twin as the boathouse opened. Paid to launch and slip the thing, and got afloat without issue.

The water temp showed 51*, and the meter showed fish in all The Usual Places--along the shelf at the boat-landing end of the lake, and A LOT of fish where the runoff flowed into the lake along the far shoreline about 1/3 the way to the far end. I concentrated on these two areas for the bulk of the morning, without so much as a bump. Thomas Bouyants (3 patterns), Needlefish (2 patterns), and the old mini-Dave Davis and crawler. The fish pitched a no-hitter all morning.

As it turned out, this would be my last and only spate of fair conditions for the rest of the trip. I came ashore at noon for chow and a nap, and went back out to fish at 3:30 P.M. The wind has really freshened, blowing UP the canyon (a little unusual, that....) about 12-20 MPH as per the flags' actions. Trolling was a little tough to manage, so I used the wind to set drifts over the spots where I metered fish, running nightcrawlers and Wooly Buggers on a sub-surface rig resembling a scaled-down halibut set-up. This rig I adjusted to the depths where fish were showing. Nada. Zip. Nothing. I called it at dark.

One saving grace......the lounge at Mono Village has Sierra Nevada Pale Ale on draft, so I drowned my sorrows in the company of a few other anglers whose stories paralleled my own. No one had seen a fish caught, or even heard about fish being caught. I fell asleep to the sounds of thunder rumbling and raindrops falling on my camper top, snug and warm.

Up at gray light, I was back at it before the sun hit the water. The wind was already on duty, down-canyon this time and running 15-25 MPH by the flags. I ran out to the shelf, and tried dragging the flasher/crawler thing flat-lined for zero love, then moved deeper--added a small planer--and paralleled the shelf for a while. No-hitter, and the wind didn't quit either. After a few drifts over the far-shore stream area--flinging Bouyants, Kastmasters, and Panther Martins--I moved to the near shore (where the roadway runs) and tried some more trolling. Zilch City.

I broke for lunch about 11 A.M., and napped until 2 P.M. The wind was still going, and I switched to trolling Rapala CDs and a small minnow swimbait on planers just for grins for the rest of the afternoon and into the evening. I meant to stay for a third day, but couldn't see the point of that--winds were supposed to continue and strengthen, and the fishing sucked for one and all. All the way home southward on U.S. 395, the winds kept at it--so I headed to the barn. Dunno what the deal was--maybe the fish were gorged from goodies coming in with the snow runoff. Water temps didn't get past 53*, thermocline stayed at about 12'-20'. No lack of fish in the lake, for sure.

Matt44
05-20-2012, 11:39 AM
The skunk happens to all of us from time to time! I love those lakes up that way i heard lower and the rez are fishing well. I fished upper for the opener the fishing was good on anything gold and red! Im gonna be heading up this comin weekend!

1HR2BBL
05-20-2012, 01:16 PM
I've never had good luck with fishing upper Twin Lakes BP. The best part is a nice campground at Mono Village and the bar for sure.

I usually camp at Mono Village but rent a boat on Bridgeport reservoir (the guy that runs the marina is a nut case, but that's for another thread). Fishing BP reservoir from shore does not always pay off, fishing by boat is the key here.

Lower Virgina Lake has been good for me from the shore. Anyway BP is beautiful country and worth the drive past Mammoth/June IMO.

Sierra_Smitty
05-20-2012, 01:20 PM
Dang....I hate when that happens! Thank goodness for draft beer.

FSHNLIC
05-20-2012, 06:05 PM
Lakes can always be hit and miss.... when that happens toss back a couple cold ones and head to the creeks and rivers.

simijab
05-20-2012, 07:34 PM
My fall back is always east walker but never had to worry about that to much upper twin has always been goo to me

flytyingreloader
05-20-2012, 09:20 PM
Upper Twin has usually been good to me, too. If I could get my boat onto Lower Twin via their ramp (?), I might have tried there as well. Not sure my boat/trailer (17' Triumph) would fit. The winds were just so intense, I was glad to get the boat off the water.

The Needlefish I tried included red/gold, I recalled that advice from an earlier post. No good.

Greg Madrigal
05-20-2012, 10:29 PM
Bummer! I would have hit the East Walker too! Thanks for the report. At least you got to get out and enjoy the company of Mother Nature!

simijab
05-21-2012, 02:44 PM
You know the good thing about east walker being a spinning rod fisherman is that not that many people fish spinning gear there so its something new for the fish. I usually kill them on barbless mini jigs. And yes you are aloud to use mini jigs there

Piss on Myspace
05-22-2012, 06:26 PM
You know the good thing about east walker being a spinning rod fisherman is that not that many people fish spinning gear there so its something new for the fish. I usually kill them on barbless mini jigs. And yes you are aloud to use mini jigs there

true that....we usually always get a few there on the spinning gear....always thought jigs would kill it, just to much of a puss to try it out...next time fer sure, just gotta make sure there unscented. thanks for the clarification

simijab
05-27-2012, 06:29 AM
true that....we usually always get a few there on the spinning gear....always thought jigs would kill it, just to much of a puss to try it out...next time fer sure, just gotta make sure there unscented. thanks for the clarification
Yeah unscented ones for sure. I usually by those cheap multi packs that they sell at big 5

Samurai
05-27-2012, 07:53 PM
Yeah unscented ones for sure. I usually by those cheap multi packs that they sell at big 5

Make sure you crimp the barbs on your hooks. Otherwise the fine (yes the wardens are out this year) will be expensive.

cjschock
05-27-2012, 08:04 PM
For anyone who does nto know or may want to know. Gamakatsu makes barbless treble hooks. I swap out the hooks on F9s or pins minnows and on the thomas bs to fish the East walker and barbless parts of the owens

simijab
05-28-2012, 07:50 AM
For anyone who does nto know or may want to know. Gamakatsu makes barbless treble hooks. I swap out the hooks on F9s or pins minnows and on the thomas bs to fish the East walker and barbless parts of the owens

Nice didn't know that. I haven't been able to find so I thought they didn't exist. Thanks for the heads up