PDA

View Full Version : Skinner 5/19

P.A.W.
05-19-2012, 04:24 PM
Lots of boats out today. The blue stoning worked on the algae, but weeds are still continuing to grow. The LMB are pretty active moving from tulies to deeper water and back. I started with the normal wacky-rig green Senko but to mix things up I rigged up a rod with a 1/2 oz jig. Hadn't jig fished in forever so there was a learning curve. However the average size of my fish increased with it. Caught most in 10'-20' with a few in the shallows tight to the reeds.

Sunday I'll be targeting Stripers since I need a fix. Maybe I'll do some more jig pitching after 10:00 if things are slow. All in all a nice productive day Bass fishin'.

P.A.W.
05-20-2012, 02:21 PM
Thought I'd just add to this thread instead of starting a new one. Sunday: Started trolling right away looking for stripey. On the way to the inlet I got bit, but it was a short strike. Got to the inlet and threw maybe 50-60 casts both top-water and jerkbait. All I got was the fin(ger) from a couple fish that slapped the water right by the boat. Trolled some more along the north shore and got hammered a couple of times but both were farmed. About 9:30 I went back to largemouth and it was pretty much like Saturday. Some nice big fish thrown into the mix and nothing smaller than 2 pounds. I credit the larger jig for the size.
About 12:30 I decided to pack it in, but dropped the u-rig on the way back. Good choice!! I got hit again. This time I boated the jailbird, but as I swung him onto the boat he spit the hook right on the deck. They're just not fully commiting quite yet. Soon guys. Mr stripey is getting active.

kaiyasdad
05-21-2012, 07:59 AM
Thought I'd just add to this thread instead of starting a new one. Sunday: Started trolling right away looking for stripey. On the way to the inlet I got bit, but it was a short strike. Got to the inlet and threw maybe 50-60 casts both top-water and jerkbait. All I got was the fin(ger) from a couple fish that slapped the water right by the boat. Trolled some more along the north shore and got hammered a couple of times but both were farmed. About 9:30 I went back to largemouth and it was pretty much like Saturday. Some nice big fish thrown into the mix and nothing smaller than 2 pounds. I credit the larger jig for the size.
About 12:30 I decided to pack it in, but dropped the u-rig on the way back. Good choice!! I got hit again. This time I boated the jailbird, but as I swung him onto the boat he spit the hook right on the deck. They're just not fully commiting quite yet. Soon guys. Mr stripey is getting active.

was there water coming in at inlet? i went out saturday afternoon and when i got there they had that Solar Cup race like they do every year and i had to stay on ramp 2 side. caught some largemouth but the inlet looked dead with no flow coming in. its never good when you can cast your swimbait with a 3/4 oz leadhead up the canal.

P.A.W.
05-21-2012, 05:01 PM
Hey, I thought I saw you out there Saturday. Yah, the inlet was real mellow. You're a better man than I if you can cast into the canal. I did talk to a guy who is there pretty regularly in a white Trophy-like boat drifting crawlers at different depths on a couple of poles. He was scoring some stripers in open water, mid-lake.

kaiyasdad
05-21-2012, 09:07 PM
Hey, I thought I saw you out there Saturday. Yah, the inlet was real mellow. You're a better man than I if you can cast into the canal. I did talk to a guy who is there pretty regularly in a white Trophy-like boat drifting crawlers at different depths on a couple of poles. He was scoring some stripers in open water, mid-lake.

what kinda boat do you have? it was kinda tough fishing with my wife, daughter and son on our 15 whaler especially when its kinda windy trying to keep the boat parallel to the bank and tie all there hooks on and such. when there is no water coming in at the inlet the rope gets pretty close so its pretty easy to cast into even with a 3/4 oz lead head. the key is to use 10lb or even 12lb with a full spool on a baitcaster. when the water is coming in good it seems thats when they bite and its hard to cast to the shorline on the left right corner where the bank and the canal meet. have you seen any boils? i think last year at this time they were on the surface but not really boiling out in the middle of the lake. it kinda looked like wind or ripples on the surface.

GdHkSet1
05-21-2012, 09:58 PM
Nice Pat, sounds like the bite is kicking on for mr stripey. Over the hill we trolled through the algae paddie sat at dv yesterday and getting steady strikes at 20-40'. With the solar race over with I'll be out there after the memorial day weekend crowd. See you there in June.

kaiyasdad
05-21-2012, 10:07 PM
Nice Pat, sounds like the bite is kicking on for mr stripey. Over the hill we trolled through the algae paddie sat at dv yesterday and getting steady strikes at 20-40'. With the solar race over with I'll be out there after the memorial day weekend crowd. See you there in June.

dont forget that the weekend after memorial is the balloon and wine clusterf**k. i went last year after i swore i would never go again. the line to get in was about a 1/4 mile from the entrance on rancho cal rd in both directions and upon leaving on sat night an hour before it closed it took an hour from the parking lot near the camp store to get back to rancho cal rd.

GdHkSet1
05-22-2012, 07:25 PM
dont forget that the weekend after memorial is the balloon and wine clusterf**k. i went last year after i swore i would never go again. the line to get in was about a 1/4 mile from the entrance on rancho cal rd in both directions and upon leaving on sat night an hour before it closed it took an hour from the parking lot near the camp store to get back to rancho cal rd.
Dang it! Oh well, may take a trek out to Perris for some LMB, appreciate the 411 on the balloon/wine fest.