PDA

View Full Version : Tenkaraing the Pudd

Fishnfun
05-18-2012, 09:26 PM
Spent a epic day at the Pudd today with Fishing Queen. Well, it was more epic for Fishing Queen than me. I must have scored 20 - 30 fish today, including bluegills, redears, crappies and largemouth bass. But, Fishing Queen easily out fished me by at least 3 to 1. Nothing big, but we made up for it in quantity. All but a couple of fish were caught on the Tenkara rods. It was my first tenkara experience, thanks to Fishing Queen loaning me one of her rods. The sensitivity of the tenkara rod was a whole new experience and made catching even the small guys fun. I expect my fly rod will spend more time at home as I get more into the tenkara experience. Thanks again to Fishing Queen for the Tenkara lessons and loaner rod. My own rod is ordered and on its way. Here are a couple of pics of my first catch on a tenkara rod. Don't laugh :LOL:. It's not a whopper, but everyone needs to start somewhere.

http://i1156.photobucket.com/albums/p561/TheFishingQueen/Charlie1.png

http://i1156.photobucket.com/albums/p561/TheFishingQueen/Charlie2.png

old pudd fisher
05-18-2012, 10:14 PM
Thanks for the report and pics, very nice and hope to get back fishing soon.

Old Bull 55
05-19-2012, 07:24 AM
Good report. I'll be there manana about 0600 with my Lil Bro trying out my Tenkara. Probably start in SB cove. ill be wearing my lil green back pack carrying another flyrod. See ya there!:Smile:

The Fishing Queen
05-19-2012, 09:43 PM
You are welcome, Charlie! It was fun to fish with you yesterday. I think you did great your first time Tenkara fly-fishing. I have to get myself one of those comfortable cork handled Tenkara rods. Since I've been fishing everyday, my pinky finger is starting to hurt a little. I've been having a blast catching panfish these days and didn't care about writing any reports. I come home feeling too tired from fishing and all I want to do is relax and rest. Here is the picture that I told you about of those two big crappies that I caught the other day at the Pudd. I pulled out 15 large sized crappies from that honey hole and they fought hard. What a great day I had with over 100 fish in 6 hours. Time flys quickly if you are busy catching!!
http://thebournes.s3.amazonaws.com/FlyFish/TwoFish.png

Fishnfun
05-19-2012, 11:48 PM
Those are some nice crappies! Here's a warning to anyone who wants to fish with the Queen. Standing next to Fishing Queen and not catching much while she keeps pulling in fish is humbling. After awhile, I wanted to prove to her that my low catch count was not the fault of poor fishing skills. I was sure there had to be something different about the rod/line/fly we were each using which gave her an advantage. So, I had her switch outfits with me. Unfortunately, It made no difference. A couple of casts and she was hooked up again. For me, it was the same old story of watching her catch fish. My catch rate did improve later in the day, but still far behind Her Royal Highness.

VIVID_FLY
05-22-2012, 04:12 PM
WOW the crappie are on the bite again .... why is it when im not there ...fish start to bite again... have you started to tie any flies yet.

You are welcome, Charlie! It was fun to fish with you yesterday. I think you did great your first time Tenkara fly-fishing. I have to get myself one of those comfortable cork handled Tenkara rods. Since I've been fishing everyday, my pinky finger is starting to hurt a little. I've been having a blast catching panfish these days and didn't care about writing any reports. I come home feeling too tired from fishing and all I want to do is relax and rest. Here is the picture that I told you about of those two big crappies that I caught the other day at the Pudd. I pulled out 15 large sized crappies from that honey hole and they fought hard. What a great day I had with over 100 fish in 6 hours. Time flys quickly if you are busy catching!!
http://thebournes.s3.amazonaws.com/FlyFish/TwoFish.png

The Fishing Queen
05-22-2012, 10:18 PM
WOW the crappie are on the bite again .... why is it when im not there ...fish start to bite again... have you started to tie any flies yet.

The fishing was slow yesterday, the water was murky and I think the park put something in water to control the weeds. But I did good today at the shady area with the 'sideway cast'. I bet you miss fishing now. I haven't started tie any flies yet, too busy catching fish, and too tired after I got home.