PDA

View Full Version : Help! Physically Challenged

jaque1579
05-18-2012, 07:49 PM
Hi, I'm new to fishing and I'm completely 'hooked'! I went on my first float tubing trip in Perris a couple weeks ago and discovered it's too difficult on my legs. I've been fishing from the Marina and off the shore at Sail Cove. I've heard so much about lots 11/12 and have been wanting to go out there, but when my family tried it was way too steep to push me out on my wheelchair. Is there another route we can take for someone in my situation?

My goal is to catch at least one bass this summer. I haven't had much success from Sail Cove. I've tried everything from drop shot to nightcrawlers but so far only bluegills. If I'm pretty much SOL to the Marina and Sail Cove, can I get some advice on locations, methods, etc? I've been hearing that dropshot was the best method in Lake Perris and I've tried that last weekend and got only weed (not the good kind either lol jk).

I just bought an inflatable boat (no engine) that I hope to try out when it's not too windy, I don't know how difficult it will be to row myself around but I hope it will help hook me something big! :Big Grin:

Thanks in advance!

CraigH
05-19-2012, 11:43 AM
Not sure if you already tried this, but at the far east end of lots 11 and 12 there is a concrete launch ramp for people with jet skis. This is not the regular boat launching ramp I'm talking about - it is a seperate smaller ramp on the far east end of lots 11 and 12. Go as far east in the parking lot as you can, then look for the building with the bathrooms next to the parking lot, then go a little east of there. I haven't walked down the ramp, but this would be the only place I can think of that someone in a wheelchair can access the fishing for those lots. As you go down the ramp, look off to your right and you will see the shoreline fishing area for those lots.

I've never posted a google maps link before, so hopefully this works and shows the ramp I'm talking about.

http://maps.google.com/?ll=33.872251,-117.165992&spn=0.00481,0.009645&t=h&z=17

tunagod1
05-19-2012, 04:38 PM
My advice is to contine to fish the Marina dock, work up and down the dock. My father fishes there regularly. He is usually fishing for panfish with redworms on the drop shot.

If you use the same technique but with crawlers you will get you LMB. Fish lite line, 4lb test max. My dad fishes 2 lb and has landed bass to 4.5 lbs.

The boat ramp at lots 11 is an option but its steep and at least 5 times the length of the boat dock ramp. Unfortunately, there not alot of alot of options from shore for the phy. challenged.

The pier by the dam may be an option too. Dad fishes that pier and caught Bass with the technique described above.

Good luck and Tight Lines

Tuna

jaque1579
05-20-2012, 11:50 PM
Alright, thanks guys, I'll definitely have to give both suggestions a try. I went Saturday afternoon and was at the Pier by the dam (sail cove, near the swimming area) and didnt catch anything but bluegills; almost got skunked in the afternoon. Went from 3pm to around 7pm and didn't get anything but tiny bluegills. I saw some guy who fished way out and caught a nice bass though.

Sandman_Tracker
05-21-2012, 05:16 AM
I think you may be ok going down, "if" you have someone in front of you slowing you down while you use your brake. I'd hate to see you lose control down that ramp. It's going back up that would be tough on whoever is helping you...Also, invest in an electric motor for your inflatable. You also may want to consider a guide or a boat rental if your goal is to catch a few bass this summer

Natural Lefty
05-22-2012, 10:46 AM
Jacque, I would suggest going to the Perris Marina to fish. It is handicap accessible, with a winding ramp going down to the docks that isn't too steep, and the marina is a fish magnet, although most of the fish are smaller juveniles during the warmer months. You still should have somebody with you if you are in a wheelchair, but I do see people in wheelchairs there all the time.

The Lone Fisherman
05-22-2012, 02:19 PM
Have you considered a kayak? Paddle, peddle?