PDA

View Full Version : Lake San Antonio 5/18

plumbertom
05-18-2012, 06:45 PM
Got on the water today just shortly after 6 AM.
Ran across to the south shore just past the pinch and set out my jig on the down rigger.
As you can see I don't much care for the pole holder on the downrigger.
Couldn't have gone 100 yards when bang, fish on.
Nice striper I'm guessing at 12 lbs.
So I'm thinking, "Oh Boy, this is gonna be a great day."
Ha! not another fish in ten hours on the water.
I was showing bait here and there but no big bait balls and few fish hanging out on them.
Water temp was 68* in the morning warming to 71* by 2PM.
The water was Clear down about 5' but lost of Alga spread through it, improved from last time.
I was trolling 4'' pearl Sassy shad type swim bait at 20' about 100' behind my ball.

MonsterGuppy
05-18-2012, 06:50 PM
Thx for the report, nice fish, did you happen to notice any shad around the boat launch yet?

plumbertom
05-18-2012, 07:00 PM
Not at Harris Creek launch.
As I was launching a couple guys came from up lake and stopped to check for shad so I'm assuming there was none at Lynch or Northshore.
I went up to the marina a little later for Ice but I didn't see any shad up on the surface anywhere.

MonsterGuppy
05-18-2012, 07:18 PM
Thxs very much for the info,,,Ill make the drive up there once I hear there's shad around the ramps..

taylor31
05-18-2012, 10:49 PM
Thanks for the report, I'll be up there this weekend.

cutbait
05-19-2012, 06:57 AM
Outstanding Tom.

In the box is in the box.

Thanks for the intel

68 is good

TroutOnly
05-19-2012, 09:33 AM
at least a no skunk, the bait may be in real shallow parked on some scructure,,,,,did you try to move into deep water and put youre lure down to fifty feet or so,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,T/O,,,,,,,,,,

plumbertom
05-19-2012, 11:46 PM
No, Bob, I didn't do that, although I did move out to deeper water to see if I could meter any fish.
Nothing showed on my FF in the deep end so I continued to troll along at 5 to 7 fathoms.
I was thinking if I metered some deep fish it would allow me to really see how well the Down rigger worked.
I did Run up to the shallow end and trolled amongst the feeding Grebes.
There I was showing lots of bait in the water and predators hanging around but none that were interested in what I was offering.

taylor31
05-21-2012, 07:27 AM
I was fishing up there yesterday. I checked for bait on both north and south shore, and didn't find any shad. The morning top water bite was pretty awesome for bass.

plumbertom
05-21-2012, 10:47 AM
I don't go there much on the weekends.
Too many idiots in wake boats and on jet skis with no regard for people that are fishing.

joejoe77
05-21-2012, 11:39 AM
Nice report and awesome fish Tom. I still havent made my way up there yet, but hoping to get out there the week after next. Had to put my boat in the shop.

Hitts0n
05-21-2012, 11:46 AM
Punked the skunk! That lake will turn on soon.....

taylor31
05-21-2012, 11:46 AM
I don't go there much on the weekends.
Too many idiots in wake boats and on jet skis with no regard for people that are fishing.

The idiots were out in force, there were a bunch of catfish skeletons in the craning station trash so the catfish bite is probably getting good. I might pull an all nighter next weekend.

Chasing Blues
06-03-2012, 04:39 PM
Got on the water today just shortly after 6 AM.
Ran across to the south shore just past the pinch and set out my jig on the down rigger.
As you can see I don't much care for the pole holder on the downrigger.
Couldn't have gone 100 yards when bang, fish on.
Nice striper I'm guessing at 12 lbs.
So I'm thinking, "Oh Boy, this is gonna be a great day."
Ha! not another fish in ten hours on the water.
I was showing bait here and there but no big bait balls and few fish hanging out on them.
Water temp was 68* in the morning warming to 71* by 2PM.
The water was Clear down about 5' but lost of Alga spread through it, improved from last time.
I was trolling 4'' pearl Sassy shad type swim bait at 20' about 100' behind my ball.

Hey Plumbertom, sorry you didn't have a better day but congrats on the one you did get. Hope you don't mind mer asking but do I really need a down rigger to fish in the San Ant. Lake? I have never used one before and just want to get a regular troll motor and try my luck. Thanks a bunch.

plumbertom
06-03-2012, 07:52 PM
The short answer is "no, you don't".
As you can read I was only 20' down to my ball towing my lure about 75' behind it so the lure wasn't much deeper than the ball.
I have some deep diving lure that I tow by themselves and they run 15-20' deep.
I've caught plenty of stripers at S.A. right on the surface.
I'm just learning to use a down rigger so I'll be making use of it even when it's not needed.
The main reason I wanted one was for the days where the sun is high and bright, that tends to push the fish deeper and I want to go after them in the deeper water by trolling instead of vertical jigging or bait when they're suspended and down deep.

Chasing Blues
06-06-2012, 08:33 PM
The short answer is "no, you don't".

Thanks! Good luck. The ans was very informative.