PDA

View Full Version : Morro Bay Salmon 5/14

webmaster
05-17-2012, 02:34 PM
I have been wanting to try for salmon up north for quite a while now and after seeing the reports out of Morro Bay and Avila beach I figured now is the time. My girlfriend Tarra and I headed up sunday afternoon. The initial plan was to launch out of Avila but when we got there I checked out thier boat hoist and it didn't look like it would clear the flybridge on my skipjack. We drove up to Morro Bay and spent the night at the launch ramp. Launched about 4:30 and made the 20 mile run down to Avila where the bite has been hot. The spot was not hard to find as there were about 20 boats already working a 2-3 square mile area. I put on a rotating anchovy rig at 40 feet on the downrigger and before I could even get a second rod rigged up the rod pops and the reel starts screaming! Within a few minutes I had our first salmon on board, a nice 18 pounder!
After that it was non stop action for the next hour. We could not go more than 10 minutes without a hookup. Both bait and krocodiles worked with the downrigger and even with a 6oz torpedo weight. By 7:15 we had our limit of 2 each and were heading back in.
Banana shot is for you, Bob.

Prior to this, I had only caught 1 salmon before and it was by freak accident off of Newport pier. This was my first attempt and I am hooked. Hopefully I can get out a couple more times before the season ends. The CA central coast is an awesome fishery, you just have to mind the weather and hit it at the right times.

TroutOnly
05-17-2012, 02:51 PM
GREAT JOB ON THE SALMON JEFF,THATS GOING TO BE SOME GREAT EATING ,THERES NOTHING LIKE THE SALMON CAUGHT OUT ON THE OCEAN,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,bob,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,MAN THERES THAT DAMN BANANA AGAIN,,,,,,,,,,,,,LOL,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Mr_Dunev
05-17-2012, 02:52 PM
Nice job out there with the Salmon! Looks like you guys had a great time.
Thanks for the report and pics, and enjoy your meals for the next week.

Lucas

trail blazer
05-17-2012, 03:14 PM
mmmmmmm,,,Smoked salmon,,,NICEEEEEEEE.

Great report and great job on the PINKMEAT!

T/B

cutbait
05-17-2012, 04:53 PM
Nice slay Jeff,

San Luis has been w/o

Which Way Out
05-17-2012, 04:58 PM
Jeff you were out there on Monday right?

So was Exfactor and I.
3 of us were in a Panga. I would bet we crossed paths at least once. We got our first hook up around 8 am. Long line at the launch.
WWO

DockRat
05-17-2012, 06:42 PM
Great eating Salmon there. XLNT Job Jeff.

troutdog
05-17-2012, 08:02 PM
WTG Jeff, nice job slammin the salmon!

TD

blackberg
05-17-2012, 08:25 PM
nice!

-bb

Karyn
05-17-2012, 08:43 PM
Crazy wonderful! I know what's on my bucket list! Great job out there... :)

webmaster
05-18-2012, 08:27 AM
Thanks everyone, the meat was awesome. I grilled it, smoked it, and sashimied it and it was unlike any salmon I've had before.

You were out there on Monday right?

So was Exfactor and I.
3 of us were in a Panga. I would bet we crossed paths at least once. We got our first hook up around 8 am. Long line at the launch.
WWO

Yeah, it was monday. Good to know there were other FNN'rs out there as well. I hope you did well too. We were in a blue and white skipjack. The Morro ramp was quick and easy but the ride down to Avila and back cost me $100 in gas! :Shocked:

Wingnut
05-18-2012, 02:50 PM
Awesome session Jeff... fresh Salmon, YUMMY! :Envious:
Good to see you getting back out there. :Big Grin:

murrieta angler
05-18-2012, 04:15 PM
Howdy Jeff!
Been a while since you've put up a report..:Smile:
Those are some great looking salmon and you are very lucky to have someone to share the rail with as well as life...:Big Grin:
Thanks, always enjoy your reports,
Robert
<><

Hitts0n
05-18-2012, 04:23 PM
Havent had any fresh Salmon in a while.Looks like you have a great time out there!
Nice thick red meat ! Thanks for posting ! Now I wanna go buy some...lmao !!:Cool:

Which Way Out
05-18-2012, 05:49 PM
Thanks everyone, the meat was awesome. I grilled it, smoked it, and sashimied it and it was unlike any salmon I've had before.

Yeah, it was monday. Good to know there were other FNN'rs out there as well. I hope you did well too. We were in a blue and white skipjack. The Morro ramp was quick and easy but the ride down to Avila and back cost me $100 in gas! :Shocked:

We did OK. 2 in the cooler and 2 lost at the rail
http://i769.photobucket.com/albums/xx340/WhichWayOut/king-1.jpg

E.A.R.G.
05-21-2012, 04:13 PM
WOW WOW!!

awesome!!

looks way better than gay seabass!

Jig-Guy
05-21-2012, 07:19 PM
Good for you! Nice fish and good eating. You had a fun outing and no skunk.