PDA

View Full Version : Mammoth Memorial Weekend

Tatanka
05-16-2012, 10:04 AM
Hello follow posters and fishing buds,
Taking the fam bam up to lake Mary and George, Just wanted to know if anyone could recommend other places to fish, we will be up there from Thursday night to Tuesday. How is Mammoth Creek? And can my fellow fisherman tell me more about the fly and bobble set up. does the water in the bobble act as the weight? leaders I know should be min of 4 to 5 feet. correct? Thanks for the support.
-Phil.... :)

oakboy
05-16-2012, 08:41 PM
Rock Creek and Mcgee Creek are south of where you are headed but they both are great places to fish.
As far as the bobber and fly set up i think your right. Fill the bobber a 1/4 to 1/2 way depending on how far you want it to go out.
<><

KP

Sierra Stewie
05-16-2012, 09:00 PM
Hey tatanka the fly and bubble works great early mornings and late evenings when the water is glassy and this also helps when using dry flies. What I found that works well is cruise into ricks sport center and pick up a few of the colored bubbles which help make your bubble more visible. Also I prefer a 5-6 foot leader and when fishing the dry flies i use a mono leader of 2 pound test and when using wet flys like a wolly bugger and such I go with the fluorocarbon because the mono floats and wont drag the dry flies down. Also if you like adding a little of the dry fly floatant to your dry flys help them stay up on the thin surface film of the water and makes them look more natural. Also as your probably know a ultra slow retrieve is key with that almost being too fast. for the bubbles i like filling them up a little less than half way for drys and of course all the way for wet flies. This time of the year I have had great success with black and olive colored wolly buggers along with the caddis and nymphs. Good luck and hope you slay em.

fishfinder
05-16-2012, 09:58 PM
i heard the upper lakes at mammoth still had soft ice on them. might be ice free by then.

Tatanka
05-17-2012, 08:19 AM
@ Sierra Steve, Ohh man I think you nailed it, huge thanks for the info. :) I am hoping for success with the fly and bobble techique. Is Ricks in town? Mammoth? and I just hope my son's get success on the method, plan on doing shore fishing and canoe fishing as well... Can't wait.

@ Oak Boy, I am family with Rock Creek thinking of doing it while we are there as well..

@ Fishfinder Thanks for the report, I hope that is a good sign and it means the fish will be active and hungry..